IL-2 Mod/Hacks Discussion

GreyKnight

~S~ all,

After seeing a lot of emails on the official forums about this topic and a proliferation of YouTube videos showing sound mods, I thought I'd like to find out what the rest of you think.

Here's my $0.02...

I'm in the... 'Let's improve certain aspects of the game' camp.

I believe the recent sound mods of the Spitfire and 109 aircraft are a real improvement on the current game. We all know the sound aspects of IL-2 have never been one of its strong points. And now with Oleg and 1C games concentrating on SOW:BOB, after we get the last patch for IL-2, that'll be it from them I assume. IL-2 will be at the end of its life cycle very soon after the release of patch v4.09.

If we want improved sounds or 6DOF, we will get the usual Micro$oft kind of answer saying "...Go buy SOW:BOB if you want these features..." But I currently don't have the PC do even run the loading screen of this game I bet, so IL-2 will continue being my game for the long term.

But I bought the original IL-2 box and I also bought the 1946 set and I believe what I do with them is my concern. If I want improved sounds and 6DOF, I can go out and get them now. But of course, if I want to continue flying online with the great IL-2 community, I will probably not find a server to connect to with my modified game. As all the script-kiddies and l337 haX0rs are currently editing, and spoiling the game, so they can fly a Hurricane with the flight model of the I-185.

I doubt even in the next 5 years Oleg will provide the source code for IL-2 and make it Open Source for anyone to alter it. So the illegal modifying route is the only option I see.

I think most of you will be amongst the 'leave it alone' camp. But wouldn't it be nice if we could find some way to alter the game sounds and add 6DOF, whilst also preventing alteration of flight models, weapon effects etc...?

I now hand over the floor to the distinguished Mr...

~S~ all,

After seeing a lot of emails on the official forums about this topic and a proliferation of YouTube videos showing sound mods, I thought I'd like to find out what the rest of you think.

Here's my $0.02...

I'm in the... 'Let's improve certain aspects of the game' camp.

I believe the recent sound mods of the Spitfire and 109 aircraft are a real improvement on the current game. We all know the sound aspects of IL-2 have never been one of its strong points. And now with Oleg and 1C games concentrating on SOW:BOB, after we get the last patch for IL-2, that'll be it from them I assume. IL-2 will be at the end of its life cycle very soon after the release of patch v4.09.

If we want improved sounds or 6DOF, we will get the usual Micro$oft kind of answer saying "...Go buy SOW:BOB if you want these features..." But I currently don't have the PC do even run the loading screen of this game I bet, so IL-2 will continue being my game for the long term.

But I bought the original IL-2 box and I also bought the 1946 set and I believe what I do with them is my concern. If I want improved sounds and 6DOF, I can go out and get them now. But of course, if I want to continue flying online with the great IL-2 community, I will probably not find a server to connect to with my modified game. As all the script-kiddies and l337 haX0rs are currently editing, and spoiling the game, so they can fly a Hurricane with the flight model of the I-185.

I doubt even in the next 5 years Oleg will provide the source code for IL-2 and make it Open Source for anyone to alter it. So the illegal modifying route is the only option I see.

I think most of you will be amongst the 'leave it alone' camp. But wouldn't it be nice if we could find some way to alter the game sounds and add 6DOF, whilst also preventing alteration of flight models, weapon effects etc...?

I now hand over the floor to the distinguished Mr...

Crash,

Oh I know Oleg won't himself. I'm just hoping there are some conscientious hackers (<- oxymoron!) that can add the improved sounds and 6DOF and somehow lock down the rest of the files. So we then have something like a patch called... v4.09x

Then if anyone wants to install this patch, they know they can install it and only get the sound mod and 6DOF, but no flight models are altered.

Crash,

Oh I know Oleg won't himself. I'm just hoping there are some conscientious hackers (<- oxymoron!) that can add the improved sounds and 6DOF and somehow lock down the rest of the files. So we then have something like a patch called... v4.09x

Then if anyone wants to install this patch, they know they can install it and only get the sound mod and 6DOF, but no flight models are altered.

But currently, don't servers check your files to make sure you're not using hacked ones? And if so, you're kicked. So you can either choose to fly on a 'clean' v4.08 server with an un-modded game or you can install the mod and go join someone else's cracked server and fly against spaceships.

I think the IL-2 community will look after itself. It's not like we're a bunch of 15 year olds playing CounterStrike with a load of cheating software installed, aiming to be the best on the server, at any cost.

I don't envision all this doom and gloom if the source code is eventually hacked. There will still be plenty of places to fly online, like us, without going up against cheats.

But currently, don't servers check your files to make sure you're not using hacked ones? And if so, you're kicked. So you can either choose to fly on a 'clean' v4.08 server with an un-modded game or you can install the mod and go join someone else's cracked server and fly against spaceships.

I think the IL-2 community will look after itself. It's not like we're a bunch of 15 year olds playing CounterStrike with a load of cheating software installed, aiming to be the best on the server, at any cost.

I don't envision all this doom and gloom if the source code is eventually hacked. There will still be plenty of places to fly online, like us, without going up against cheats.

I hope you are correct..... Cheating has destoyed many online communities .Its why I stopped playing many online FPS.

This may be pandoras box............

I'm bad enough at this game...The last thing I need is an opponant with a 1000kmh B25 that turns like a zero.

PS I read somewhere that OLEG diabled track IRs 6DOF in game due to problems with the cockpit models.

I hope you are correct..... Cheating has destoyed many online communities .Its why I stopped playing many online FPS.

This may be pandoras box............

I'm bad enough at this game...The last thing I need is an opponant with a 1000kmh B25 that turns like a zero.

PS I read somewhere that OLEG diabled track IRs 6DOF in game due to problems with the cockpit models.

And what would happen if one of uz Dogz got hold of a hack and didn't tell the others? The suspicion and figure pointing would tear the group up I fear.

And what would happen if one of uz Dogz got hold of a hack and didn't tell the others? The suspicion and figure pointing would tear the group up I fear.