Waterbombers

DD_Bucky

Hi Guys,

Here are a few more waterbomber pics.These big guys can skim on the surface of a lake and fill their tanks...

Airtanker7.jpg

Airtanker6.jpg

Airtanker5.jpg

Airtanker8.jpg

Airtanker4.jpg

That's it for now.BTW the firies burning in the region are slowly being contained and most evac orders from certain homes have been lifted....alot less smoky now.

This just in!

A forest fire started yesterday near my local lake/resiviour.I was out there yesterday with friends and noticed the smoke about 4pm local time.Here's some pics...note.the fire is just on the other side of the mountain...

Chopperbucket1.jpg

Chopperbucket2.jpg

There were 4 bombers called in from the base in Castlegar,as well as a spotter plane and 2 helicopters equipped with buckets.I didn't take pics of the bombers 'cause my camera doesn't have a good enough zoom.

I got some good heli pics of them filling their buckets from the lake.Check it out...

The former museum I flew with on thier C-47 and B-25J also had a nice US-2, which was an S-2 converted to a transport similiar to the C-1 (the transport version) . They traded it for a neat A-26 gun nose, complete with turrets.

Those S-2s still have the original radials. Many operators (and Navies) have re-engined them with an assortment of neat turbo props.

The Electra is nice to. The A-26s, Privateers, and even the 2 Mars have reached the point where they are more valuable as warbirds and are all being sold. There are alot of Surplus S-2s, early model C-130s, P-3s, availible as well. And now the conversions of old 747s and DC-10s are extremely effective and economical.

My dad did the water bombing thing from Hueys and Jetrangers while flying such duty in 79. I have a neat photo a newspaper took as he lifted a bucket of water out of a lake.

Well here's an update on the fire.

It was started by a lightning strike last Fri.As of today,Thurs.Aug.17,It has grown to over 800 hectares...1 hect.=2.8 acres...

It has crossed the U.S.border now so the yanks are involved as well.I have done some logging over the years in this area and I am told the fire has burned through 2 old clearcut blocks that I worked on back in 1993.These blocks were replanted in '94 so some of the new trees have been lost.Also a real nice stand of Douglas Fir...28inches + on the butt...has been lost.

There are currently 5 helicopters,6 waterbombers,2 rapid attack fire crews and 3 heavy peices of equipment working on the fire.My father is working on it as well.He has been building a fire guard with A D6 Cat,which is owned by the local lumber mill.

If possible,I will try to get pics of the actual fire,etc.As a certified logger with a fire fighting ticket,I should be able to have reasonable access as an observer...conditions permitting of course.

It is quite smoky around here now,the fire is about 1 hour's drive S.E.from my town.