Help Installing New CPU Please

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi guys,

I have just received a new cpu for my machine.

I was hoping it would come with some install notes, but it does'nt.

Before I attempt to install it, do I need any heat paste etc.

I have included a couple of pictures.

30_5199421a88df29d316c6aae7950eefa3

30_8f31a656e96d99470c7028e1a44c85f2

• 1. DDz Quorum

Yes you need some thermal paste, and some thermal paste cleaner (to clean the heatsink).

Paste:

http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.p ... &subcat=27

Cleaner:

http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.p ... &subcat=27

When heatsink is clean apply arctic silver paste thinly to CPU upper face.

You are aiming to cover it completely as thinly as possible - it is only to fill the microscopic anomalies and will act as a thermal barrier if applied too thickly.

Hello Frior

the cpu should drop in BUT you will need to ensure that it is installed in the correct position. there should be a mark on one corner and a corresponding mark on the motherboard. Are you using the same heatsink fan? if the old fan is up to the job you will need to use some

• 1. DDz Quorum

@b16 - "bum", I was hoping that it could drop straight in. I am concerned about getting the thinkness of the paste correct. is this the only way of doing it, I thought I read somewhere "pads" were mentioned. could i not get one of those?

@crash - thanks, possibly if the cpu works out ok, i am also looking at a better sound card with onboard processing, audigy2.

You clean the bottom of the heatsink and spread a thin layer of compound on the top face of the cpu. clip the heatsink onto the motherboard and taht should do it. With an AMD cpu the main body of the heatsink is a bit offset. Dont know about intels though. just check that it looks right ;)

here is a link to installing cpus

http://www.mysuperpc.com/pc_assembly/co ... oler.shtml

all cpus install in one way only- there is usually an individual shaped pin or different coloured pin on the bottom to help orientate them.

best thermal paste as ROG pointed out is arctic silver there are links to their install instructions

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silv ... ctions.htm

I have seen the method of spreading the paste all over the cpu,but I always thought that you just put a grain of rice sized 'dollop' in the centre of the cpu?

Also frior is that an 'OEM' cpu?If its a retail version with a fan,does it not already have a layer of paste already applied?

Sorry to 'muddy the waters' a bit

• 1. DDz Quorum

no, its as seen in the photo, an oem i suppose.

your right about the paste, in the link delta7 sent, it says that it should be the size of a grain of rice. it is spread by twisting the heatsink over it.

• 1. DDz Quorum

If you board has over temp protection for the CPU switch it on (in the BIOS) that way you add a little extra insurance.

As the guys said fitting a CPU is an easy, but nerve racking, task.

Credit card is a good tool, use it to smear the paste backwards and forwards.

The paste is electrically conductive, so care does need to be taken with over spill.

• 1. DDz Quorum

right, well the paste and the clearner arrived today, so tonight I opened her up to have a peek at what was there.

the heatsink is quite large and is held in place by fitting some lugs under a bracket at one end and a retaining leaver at the other.

the heatsink once in place covers the latch for lifting the cpu.

i removed the heatsink by raising the latch, lifting at one end to release the lugs from the clamp at the other.

to my surprise there does not appear to be any paste between the cpu and heatsink. i opened up an old pc at work and removed the heatsink and cpu to see what they were all about. on that one there is clear evidence of a "patch" where the paste was in place.

on my one it looks totally clean. the silver patch located on the base of heatsink is clean.

my question is are there "conductorpasteless" heatsinks? and have i got one?

my second problem is that i planned to use the "twist and spread" method once i had put the paste on the cpu thermal pad. i picked this because i tried using an old credit card to spread some paste on the old one i had brought home from work, and well quite frankly, made a bit of a mess!.

once the heatsink is clamped into place, there is no lateral movement to twist it. there is a couple of mm side to side movement but that is all.

would a rice grain sized "blob" of paste be spread enough just by pressing the hinksink down on top of it and then giving a little side to side slide? i did read on the articsilver website that the paste does only need to be in the middle as if the heat pad was removed (and a picture was shown to illustrait this) the core of the cpu is only in the middle.

i decided to put everything back and post here for further advice / support.

Salute!

Frior

Funnily enough last cpu's I fitted I actually used my finger to spread the stuff around.. has worked on the last 4 cpus and none have blown or exhibited heat problems... especially the one that ran at high overclock speeds.

I'm sure you would see no problems if you blobbed the paste on the chip and pushed on the heatsink to try and spread it although I really wouldn't recommend it.

• 2. Administrators

Hi Frior

I know what you are going thru, even as a system builder, I get a bit nervous at the processor installation point.

I'll be happy to help if I can, but I'd need some more info first, specifically photos of the heatsink and clamp assy and of the socket on your mainboard.

One point I would make though is that installing a CPU with the mainboard in the case is risky as you may have to apply a fair amount of force to the clamp to get it to lock in place. As most mainboards are held up on pillars, pressing down hard on the heatsink clamp is likely to bend the mainboard, and overdoing that can lead to a whole world of hurt. Personally, I'd remove the mainboard from the case, and fit the CPU and heatsink with the board sat on something which which will hold it secure. I use a sheet of polystyrene about 20" square and 5mm thick which I glued to my bench for this very purpose. In fact, I tend to add as much to the board as possible before installing it (memory etc) to minimise the amount of messing about I have to do inside the case.

Apologies if this post oversteps the mark 'cos I'm a newbie here...

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

@Jabo - no problem mate, if I have requested help I will take anything thats given.

To all who have chipped in with advice.....

I am pleased to report that this post has been made on a computer running with a new cpu