DIY collective

Crash

Crash the location and function is very basic as of pictures. Old joystick part functions as a pivot for axis, also fitting the Pot. The other view is the collective mounted to the chair. Hope that helps.7.jpg.94d2eaa2b3a88b5ddf88843fc664c04c.jpg8.jpg.f47a3d8481523284f8373fec0fb6e61d.jpg

Is the old joystick board in the CD player chassis? I still cant work out how it is mounted on the chair. I love this home brewed stuff. Is the throttle on the arm or have you mapped that to other hardware?

Sorry Dave I should clarify, Yes you would place the joystick Circuit Board into the housing, however I use an existing Arduino that I have in my cockpit. I have 5 Arduinos running for various button rotary and toggle systems.

Two axis -One for collective up down the other on the bottom

-Second under the collective 

I didn't like the fact that the collective mounted on the chair was banging into the side of my cockpit. So mounted direct to cockpit.

Mounted by a couple of screws through the cd housing.  I love building these things

11.jpg.a148f48a5cbc8f9cdb9f926a6277ea4c.jpg10.jpg.ad9cba8c226df506ad1409367337ed0d.jpg9.jpg.8b2a2f014c8f0486860e19c2faf8ff76.jpg

• Like 3

One excellent cockpit there Wingy :salute:

You might have tempted me into building one, then I will have to buy a heli module :rolleyes:

I still cant work out how the pivot works. Surely not on the pot stem? Any twist grip on it?

Thanks Dave , I always had this thing of building things. Anytime you what info on your build don't hesitate to ask M8.

No twist grip, to complicated for something like twist throttle to be used rarely, usually on the start up only. However I did implement a throttle rotary lever underneath the collective head, activated by left ring finger when needed.

• Thanks 1

Yes. You would need a board to connect the pots to. I have used one of these https://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=180&zenid=faa42252a81912d8d178b050e81c6675

Its expensive but easy to use. Buy a bag full of switches from ebay and build a button box. Lots of videos on youtube.

Only my opinion

This is what I would use Dave. Easier to program and flash as a joystick.

Pro Micro ATmega32U4 5V 16MHz Micro USB Microcontroller Development Board with Arduino Leonardo bootloader (2PCS) : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Uno and Mega a little more tricky to program as a joystick.

I do like the Gikfun Screw Shield Expansion Board thou. Looks pretty useful.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

No it does not until you code them in

Yes you will have to tell how many buttons you wish to use,  up to 32 I believe.      0 to31  as 0 counts as 1.

Give me a bit and I will send you an example.

Now buttons are assigned as how

many are going to be used, 

how many in a row ,and

how many in a column      Hope that not to confusing.  

first part of the code example

#include <Keypad.h>
#include <Joystick.h>

//DEFINITIONS
#define ENABLE_PULLUPS
#define NUMROTARIES ? //replace "?" with number of rotary encoders you are using
#define NUMBUTTONS ? //replace "?"with number of buttong you are using
#define NUMROWS ? //replace "?" with number of rows you have
#define NUMCOLS ? //replace "?" with number of columns you have

//BUTTON MATRIX
//first change number of rows and columns to match your button matrix, 
//then replace all "?" with numbers (starting from 0)
byte buttons[NUMROWS][NUMCOLS] = {
  {?,?,?,?},
  {?,?,?,?},
  {?,?,?,?},
  {?,?,?,?}

};

Here is a video that I followed to run a Arduino Micro Pro for 32 buttons with 4 rotary encoders

I am having a nightmare with the project. I cant find a  sketch that will work with my board and the damper set up is far too stiff. Looks like buying a leonardo is the only way forward with this.