questions about DCS

delta7

Some questions about DCS that I would appreciate help with 

1) would my system run it well  or would I need to update graphics memory  and additional drive.

this is my system

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16244MB RAM
                Page File: 5880MB used, 12795MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
             System Model: Z97P-D3
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/21/14 10:45:03 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
        Manufacturer: NVIDIA
           Chip type: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
            DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Type: Full Device (POST)
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_2182&SUBSYS_86A81043&REV_A1
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 14100 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 5979 MB
       Shared Memory: 8121 MB
        Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (165Hz)
         HDR Support: Not Supported

--------------------
      Drive: 😄
 Free Space: 554.3 GB
Total Space: 952.8 GB
File System: NTFS
      Model: ST1000DM003-1ER162

Drive: E:
 Free Space: 108.8 GB
Total Space: 476.9 GB
File System: NTFS
      Model: WDC  WDS500G2B0A-00SM50

Drive: 😧
      Model: ATAPI iHAS124   E

2) How does multiplayer work with Dogz?

I understand most have F-14 and F-16 but Im not that interested in complex jets so if I was to buy the A-10c and F-5e or F86 Sabre how would I be able to fly missions with the group.

Would I need any additional maps ?

3) what is single player offfline  like?

Thanks

Dave

• 1. DDz Quorum

2) Multiplayer works with Dogz a treat. Due to the sterling and generous work of Tom and FT (please excuse others if I haven't mentioned you) we have a large map that caters for all types of aircraft and ground vehicles in a huge map on our own server running 24/7. A pilot can fly what they like, practice what they like and get valuable hints tips and lessons from anyone who knows what they are talking about. It's fun :)

• 2. Administrators
40 minutes ago, Crash said:

I think that Flaming Cliffs 3 might be a good buy as you get I think 10 planes that have simplified flight model and no click pits. The A-4E Skyhawk is a great free mod as well

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/dcs_flaming_cliffs_3/

Just an fyi, FC3 planes don't have  a simplified flight model, they have the same standard as other modules. 

• 2. Administrators
2 hours ago, delta7 said:

I understand most have F-14 and F-16 but Im not that interested in complex jets so if I was to buy the A-10c and F-5e or F86 Sabre how would I be able to fly missions with the group.

The A-10C is actually even more complex than the F-14 or F-16, just so you know!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi Dave,

1) As for your system specs:

CPU = Great! Especially with the recent multi-threading release. 

RAM = Below average. 16GB is a sub-optimal. DCS prefers 32GB and is happiest on 64GB.

GPU = Below average. It'll run but you'll have to dial back the eye-candy. If you have the facilities to get hold of even a sound 2nd hand 1080ti then that'd be better.

DCS is free to download so you can try it out before committing any funds; I would say get it just to see how well it will run on your system.

2) Covered by the others, but I'll add that most days we utilise the DDz server dynamic dogfight mission; lots of target options to suit various aircraft and skill levels. We occasionally run a co-op but generating a mission of that ilk to cover all the varied aircraft types/capabilities etc can be a tricky and time consuming for the builder so they can be few and far between.

However, what you often end up doing on the DF map is several different pilots choose a particular target and attempt to us the various capabilities of their chosen mount to run a coordinated strike package; one group take out or reduce the enemy ground air defences, whilst another group attempt to keep the enemy interceptors at bay as yet another group go for the main ground target. It becomes a mini-coop in a DF server.

F-86 is a good choice but an F-5 might be a better choice to play more competitively with the big jet boys. As Crash says the A-4E mod is a great lead in aeroplane with systems not much more complicated than WW2 era, but still a potent little ground attacker with the ability to carry a few Sidewinders for shits and giggles - plus, it's free! You'd need it to install it to join us on server anyhow, so... 

3) Single Player varies greatly depending on the module. All come with a variety of tutorial missions, many with a decent selection of instant action and a number of single missions. Campaign availability varies more; some come with 12-15 mission campaigns to fly bundled with the module (F-15C, A-10C), some even have two (F-14), some only have campaigns available as payware ($12-$15) DLC additions (Spitfire, Mustang, P-47) and some have no campaigns at all.

However, Eagle Dynamics are working on a Dynamic Campaign Generator engine that will hopefully cater to many or all of the available modules, though the ETA for the release of this is yet to be confirmed.

There is also a vast repository of user made missions (including campaigns) available for download, for free, from EDs website where they host User Files, which also includes skins, mods and useful documentation; there are gems and there is dross there though so it's worth taking time to sort the wheat from the chaff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

RAM = Below average. 16GB is a sub-optimal. DCS prefers 32GB and is happiest on 64GB.

GPU = Below average. It'll run but you'll have to dial back the eye-candy. If you have the facilities to get hold of even a sound 2nd hand 1080ti then that'd be better.

DCS is free to download so you can try it out before committing any funds; I would say get it just to see how well it will run on your system.

Look at this site. You get a 2 year guarantee and they will buy your old stuff. Look also for M2 drives. Check your power supply as later cards need more power cables.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=sdescusi7670023b&categoryName=desktops-windows&superCatName=computing&title=custom-i7-6700-64gb-ddr4-1tb-ssd%2B500gb-hdd-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-w10-b&referredFrom=boxsearch&queryID=0a758c59d3889b6993b27bca637a5362&position=4

A small issue, I am trying to assign commands to the hat 1 on my x-56 throttle but it wont take in game. Hat 2 and POV work ok. 

So I set up the commands in a profile and tested it and it works in windows but for some reason logitek profile not seen in game 

Any help appreciated

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi dave

i have found that you do not need to use the logitech profile. with my x56 loaded i click in "clear" so no profile is in place.

I can show you how to map all 3 modes to buttons within dcs if you like. (you add a modifier)

make sure you are in the correct column eg throttle or stick

me and kev are on line now (friday 9:50pm) if you wanted to jump on TS

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

I really think that in reality with the F5 you won't need a profile. Pretty much everything on the start up is cockpit clickable and so are the weapons. You don't need as many mappings as you may expect....have an hour spare, and I will get you up and running without a profile. Honest. 

• Like 1

New upgrades

Machine name: WIN-8HPPHCH14L1

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19044) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
             System Model: Z97P-D3
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/21/14 10:45:03 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
                   Memory: 32768MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 32628MB RAM
                Page File: 6655MB used, 30836MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, no HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
 DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.2075 64bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
           Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
        Manufacturer: NVIDIA
           Chip type: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
            DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Type: Full Device (POST)

Display Memory: 28442 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 12129 MB
       Shared Memory: 16313 MB
        Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (165Hz)
         HDR Support: Not Supported
    Display Topology: Internal

Monitor Name: Dell S3222DGM(DisplayPort)
       Monitor Model: DELL S3222DGM
          Monitor Id: DELD10F
         Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (59.951Hz)
         Output Type: Displayport External