No Tank Engine Sounds - Fix

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Salute,

Having only recently started playing with the tanks in the Combined Arms module I discovered that I did not have any vehicle engine sounds in a large number of vehicles eg, the Abrams MBT, WW2 Sherman Firefly. So, I set about finding the cause. It turns out that this issue is caused by installation of certain mod planes and the sound file structure they use. The A4-E, Bronco and UH60 Blackhawk helicopter are three so far that been identified as culprits but there may be others.

Planes such as the T-45 Goshawk and Phantom mods use a different method and they do not seem to be a cause. Ships also do not seem to be a conflict.

If you discover an aircraft that is not included below, check the file structure and if it is the same as what I describe below, this same fix hopefully should work.

When I set about finding the solution to this issue I contacted the development teams of the A4-E and the Bronco and a big shout out to 08jne01 Joshua Nelson from A4-E dev team who responded quite quickly with a fix. It was through this fix that I was able to work out how to transport the fix to other aircraft.

I would also like to give a shout out to my squad mate DD_Sid who also assisted in getting this solution together.

The fixes are very simple but do involve the renaming of one file and the editing of one file per aircraft (I used NotePad - other editors are available) so you may want to do a quick back up if you feel uncertain about editing the files.

Please find below the steps required, as I say, if you have any other installed mod aircraft and still do not have vehicle sounds after completing these steps, check out the files and you should be able to replicate the changes I describe here on those.

Please add a post if you do find another aircraft that this change works for.

The fixes have been tested on 3 individual set-ups plus a server where the A4-E and Bronco are mandatory mods on our server (www.dangerdogz.com why not come and check us out, we are a fun group with no set rules about flying. We play DCS on Monday and Thursdays in the evening UK time from about 19:30 until 23:00 approx). We also fly GBS on Sundays and Tuesdays.

Please Note

I am not some coding guru so can not answer any questions other than what I have described below. These fixes were worked out via a desire to resolve the issue and a curious mind.

Use the steps below for each applicable aircraft. I reiterate, this fix only applies to aircraft that use files within the "Sounders" folder. If you have an aircraft that does not use the files listed below and can fully prove that the plane still causes an issue for you, please let the community know. 

Testing Notes

DD_Sid when testing has reported back that the engines sounds when flying the Bronco do not now seem as loud as before the fix and also lack sound bass resonance. If anyone reading this knows more about this (anyone from the Bronco devs perhaps?) and can contribute I am sure the community would be grateful.

EDIT: See following post - This issue has now been resolved.

Fix

Navigate to your DCS "Saved Games" folder. The default location will be on the "C:" drive under users and your name. You may have moved yours.

When there, open the "DCS" folder.

Open the "Mods" folder.

Open the "aircraft" folder.

Within this folder will be all the folders for your installed mods. You may also have some folders that relate to saved custom views for example. When these fixes were being tested on one of our squad mates he had a Spitfire folder and that was because he had saved his cockpit view.

A4-E

Open the "A-4E-C" folder.

Open the "Sounds" folder.

Open the "Sounders" folder.

Rename the "Tools.lua" to be "A4Tools.lua"

Open the "Aircraft" folder.

Open the "Engines" folder".

Edit the file called "J52P8.lua" with notepad or similar.

Edit the first line which says dofile("Tools.lua") to read dofile("A4Tools.lua")

Add a second line that says dofile("Curve.lua")

Save and close the file.

Bronco

Open the "BRONCO V1.08" folder

Open the "Sounds" folder

Open the "Sounders" folder

Rename the "Tools.lua" to be "OV-10ATools.lua"

Open the "Aircraft" folder

Open the "Engines" folder"

Edit the file called "T76.lua" with notepad or similar

Edit the first line which says dofile("Tools.lua") to read dofile("OV-10ATools.lua")

Save and close the file.

Blackhawk

Open the "UH-60L" folder

Open the "Sounds" folder

Open the "Sounders" folder

Rename the "Tools.lua" to be "uh60l_Tools.lua" (this reads uh'sixty' lower case L)

Open the "Aircraft" folder

Open the "Engines" folder"

Edit the file called "uh60l_engine.lua" with notepad or similar

Edit the first line which says dofile("Tools.lua") to read dofile("uh60l_Tools.lua")

Save and close the file.

Start up your game and hopefully enjoy the magnificent tank engine sounds!

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Edit: We (well DD_SID) have found the cause for the lack of sound in the Bronco.

You will also need to edit another file in the "aircraft" folder

The file is called "OV-10AAircraft.lua"

Open this file in Notepad.

At the top of the file there is a line which says dofile("Tools.lua") this also needs to be changed to match the name of the Tools file as previously updated dofile("OV10-ATools.lua")

We have also noted the same file structure for the A4-E and Blackhawk so this will need to be updated as well using the example above.