Battle of Arras Campaign - Final Mission Report

• 1. DDz Quorum

Salute,

Well, what a night.

A great turnout, so a big thank you to everyone that made the effort to attend and/or made changes to their schedule or call in favors with their partners to take part. It was much appreciated and I hope you all found it worth the effort!

My objective for the final mission was to take Cambrai. I knew we were going to have issues with the bridges to get into the town and was hoping for a good turnout of pilots to give us a chance. Well you chaps certainly played your part in making it possible for us (well me, actually) to get over the bridge once it had repaired, Wingflyer was with me but they took it out again before he could cross. I don't think they knew I had made it and so was able to take the flag in Cambrai unopposed. That was the launch pad for us then to start rolling up their other towns. The tankers then played their part fighting and winning key engagements to both enable the advance and protecting the ground we had made. In the air above our pilots were certainly keeping the enemy on their toes scoring multiple victories.

By the end of the evening we had not only taken Cambrai but also Iwuy, Noyelles and Esnes. If the campaign was to go on we were well on the way to rolling into the home HQ's. We ended up with 22 of the available 33 locations.

I can not single anyone out last night for praise as everyone played their part, in the tanks, Mossie, Sid, Crash, Wingflyer, FT, Zukker and Ben, in the air, Fenrir, Beagle, Painless, Blubear, Delta7 (ably assisted by Soapy flying his first mission with the Dogz as a rear gunner), Funflack and Perfesser.

I hope everyone that played in every mission or was just able to take part in the odd one found this concept of having the planes and tanks work together and pitting our skills against another squad (a task which I think we rose to admirably) challenging and exciting in equal measures, I know I certainly had a few "squeaky bum" moments!

Mission building wise, I have learned a lot from this campaign, design features I will look to take on to other campaigns and improve. "North Africa" (using Off_Winters Kuban mod) is well on the way and I will be releasing a map for testing soon.

Again, I thank all of you that took part and for making the many, many hours I have put into it all worth while.

Arras Final Position.JPG

• Thanks 6

:salute:Thanks, Colin, for all the work put into these missions, love the teamwork.

Although this time I did dilly squat but help capture flags and spot planes for our flyboys.

I didn't come across enemy tanks till the end but too late to get any kills. Oh well looking forward very much to north Africa campaign. Thanks again Mate.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Thanks, Colin!

Good show.

The very fIrst session was a bummer and very disappointing as the capture-base did not work for me, and I made it so far behind enemy lines!

This last session was the best one for me: Killed some three Shermans, and did not get myself killed .... 

(The Sherman kills were all near the bridge in 0710. While waiting for it to be repaired, the first Sherman I spotted was over 1km away, tucked in behind a tree. Started firing HE shells at him, to try and direct Fenrir towards him. But to my surprise, the HE's hit him and not just the tree. So I took APHE and killed him. Other kill was similar, longer range even, where in the end I wasted some shells as I had not noticed he de-spawned! Another one did fire back at me, so I was just kinda thinkin' - oh dear, is he a good shot? How fast will he get a shell to hit me? That feeling of contest that usually does not end will for me - but he was way off all the time, while I kept hitting him ... Also got me some enemy trucks in Esnes... )

Thanks Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, Ben griffiths said:

Any news on the points front 

I am just clearing up a small discrepancy with Deacon but it looks like over the 6 sessions we were down by about 90 points so overall I think we can claim an overwhelming victory.