WHO, What & Where is Joint Ops?

Tonar

I was just curious about what the Joint Ops really are? is it just an area in HL that people get together or is it a formal, pay dues training sort of thing? :scratch:

Is it something that you can just pop in and out of when your time permits or does it have to be schedualed and time put aside for specific times.

I want to fly better learn, but I don't really have a large chunk of time to put aside. Heck I hope I can get an hour in with you guy tonight.

Just sittin here at work waiting for a test to finish and thinking of the wild blue Yonder with tracers in it :evil1:

• 1. DDz Quorum

I'm sure BG or Quazi will jump in here to explain everything there is to know, just wanted to let you know that I've enrolled for the June class, if your able to put aside three nights a week (M-W-F) we can soar together.

Pooka

Joint Ops is an online virtual pilot school run by an ex-marine pilot trainer who goes by the handle Fifties. They have their own website with training rooms and notice boards and instruction is provided free of charge. All the instructors are unpaid volunteers. http://www.angelfire.com/in4/joint_operations/

There are various levels attached to Joint Ops. You first have to do Basic Flight School. As Pooka says it is 3 nights a week for two weeks. Some nights will take as many as 4 hours and there are written tests. Not only do you have to devote 3 nights a week but you will have studying, preparation and practise to squeeze in between. That can amount to another 3 nights a week. It is really quite intensive and requires dedication. But between you and I and all the other people who read this thread, it is almost impossible to fail Basic Flight School. If you can't get it right they will keep on giving you private instruction until you can do it.

Once you finish Basic Flight School you have to do one 3 hour session called Ground School. Ground School is another prerequisite to moving on to Intermediate Pilots School. IPS is a lot easier than Basic Flight School and once again, it is really hard not to pass. I believe it took three, two hour sessions to complete with classroom and flying. After that you can specialize in a specific aircraft and get ratings for different aspects of flying it. (Dead stick landings, loops under bridges gear up landings where you have to stay on the concrete and not touch the grass. I chose a Spitfire, Quazi went with a P38.

They have periodic war games where the instructors and guys like myself all fly head to head Axis versus Allied. You get ratings for taking part and other awards for performance.

If that's not enough and you still have the energy then you can move up to Advanced Training, Fighters, Bombers whatever. It is only at the Advanced Level you can readily wash out. Quazi wants to do Advanced but I am not so sure I want to take it that far.

Based on your comments about other time commitments, I think you would problem finding time to do Basic Flight School Von Tonar sir. Too bad, it is well worth it.

Congratulations m8. You will do just fine. Don't forget that the Basic course is designed for people who have just bought the game so they don't expect too much from you at the beginning. And you will probably get Quazi as an instructor!

You, Pooka and I and anyone else who wants to join can do some pre-training for the school which will make you look like heros. If you don't have one, pick up one of those little digital stop clocks that can sit on your desk on front of you. Nothing fancy; just a start, stop, reset jobby. You will need it for night mission you have to fly.

What aircraft did you selct to fly after Basic F S?

When you Salute in JO, do you say Salute over TS or chat it?? I don't quite understand that.

:dontknow:

You will get a downloadable document that explains everything but when you first join TS you usually say "Salute all" and same when you leave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Name a date & time BG, I'll be there.

I can get someone to cover for me if needed, the only time that would be needed

is M-W-F 12N-3PM & T-T 11AM-1PM, but like I said I can get this taken care of.

Thanks Pooka

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

~S~ Mates.

It is nice to see an interest in Joint-Ops V.F.S. If I can do it darn near anyone can do it. It has been a challenge for this newbie to IL2 1946 but, I can attest to the benefits you will receive from formal training from guys that have countless hours of flying time under their belts.

After only a few sessions I have drastically improved my ability to survive and actually get some kills while online at Hyperlobby. Before J-O I had ZERO kills and countless flaming fireballs to my credit. Now I feel confident enough in my abilities to join a server and participate with other more experienced pilots and know that I have at least enough knowledge to avoid being killed like a lamb led to the slaughter.

I would encourage anyone to enroll even those who have been playing IL2 for years. There is always something that even veteran pilots can learn and I can't think of a better place to pick up that knowledge than J-O V.F.S.

That is my two cents worth about J-O and I hope to see some of you guys there. It will be time well invested in this awesome IL2 flight sim. You also will notice the benefits as have I and many others who have dedicated themselves to the classes.

Good fortune and Godspeed gentlemen of the K-niner squadrons.

V117BS_Logos

~S~ Logos...

I'll give you credit m8, you're definitely reading all the forum has to offer.....just by digging up this 9 month old thread proves that.

Most of (a lot of ) us have been through BFS with the JO and are in various stages of further training.

• 1 year later...

I use to fly some 5 month before BFS on Join-ops.

Buzzing around all over Hiper lobby and was pretty sure that my skills are growing on daily bases.

All I did was building bad habits.

After second BFS session, I was socked and cover with sweat.

That SEOW campaign that we fly against 69th is really something, but until now, I never meet couch a challenge like BFS.

Imagine Balkan barbarian with his incorrect, peasant, no good English saying "Caen tower this is Victor four three seven foxtrot echo on final for runaway 200 request for touch and go over".

In same time when trying keep the heading, avoiding first pair of pillars, dropping third knot of flaps, reducing throttle and looking around for boogie intrusion.

Kingdom of heaven belongs to those who are poor in mind :).

What can I say Tonar.

Until today I was mostly reading things related to SEOW.

Last 4 hours there is nothing for me to do so I started to read everything that Dogz posted.

Ever.

Off course for me it is impossible to keep mouth shut.

I really hope that you had a good laugh m8.

I most certainly would.

Stay sharp ace ;)