Semi-Random Thoughts on Enjoyable Game Play

DoubleTap

LoL. Cheers DT. Always amusing to read semi random musings of a semi crazy. :)

First computer game I got into was CFS in '99. I was pretty clueless and soon got bored.

Then came Half Life, which I still rate as the best single player FPS.

Kingpin was good for the music and the humour.

I got MOH as soon as it came out. CoD and CoD UO were my first online games.

Really enjoyed them. But after a while TDM became tedius. Spawn shoot die repeat.

Nothing comes close to IL2, for immersion, freedom, and reward for skill.

I mean, how long would it take to get even 'reasonable' in every flyable plane?

I've thought about Red Orchestra, but I could not drag myself from IL2 long enough

to learn it.

Maybe the partial answer to your wishes will be in the Storm of War series. I guess it

will be a bit limited at first, due to being BoB planes.

Thanks for the great screenies, some of those brought back good memories.

Cheers.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ DT, I to played COD just to see what the fuss was all about. I must admit it was a great deal of fun but the severely limited freedom of movement soon made it feel very "samey".

Strange as this may sound I sometimes go round to Hawkeyepierce's place and just watch him play stuff like "Hitman",(first person shooter), and such.

Its good fun both comming up with a plan to get through each level and he is much slicker than I when it comes to pushing the buttons ! LOL

IL2... worlds apart as far as immersion is concerned, I only really hope for better technology to make the sim even more realistic. Things like monitor goggles for 360 deg vision, incredible cinema quality sound and a seat that tilts around with aircraft movement.

Maybe even a WWII period stick, throttle and pedals.

Greetings from console land!

i must say that i found this very interesting, having made the transition from pc to xbox360

good points? instant connectivity, no crashes, performance is consistant

i mean i can have a quick blast on rainbow six with my brother in belfast just like turning on the telly

bad points: after il2 dominated my life the games feel terribly constrained, and as DT says you feel the developers hand on you

then again i cannot stress just how cool call of duty 3 looks and it plays perfect online everytime

sazzy graphics are softening the shock, and the games are excellent halo 3 and bioshock on the way, but i miss the expanse of IL2 the randomness and the freedom

i will be back. Keep me a seat!

I am very much with you DT. I also loved COD1 and also found COD2 (except for the graphics), well.....lackluster, so much so that I got bored and quit. I bought Red Orchestra the other day, and brought it back the next......unopened. I'm gonna finish FEAR extraction point and maybe reinstall some of the other stuff I have (like Tomb Raider, MMMMMM........Lara). I would really like to see a new game like Far Cry though, the size and attention to detail was fantastic, who knows maybe Red Orchestra is the one, but I'm going to wait a bit. Besides I'm having fun with my Squaddies and on ZvW.

I just finished COD1, I just love the sound of the sniper Rounds going in my 5:1 surround :)

I turn the sound way up.

I was more of an RTS games before IL2.(Age of empires, comand & conqure, Empire Earth...)

but I still think the Dogz are more fun(when they ain't working or flying red)

Oh, playing Red Orchestra the other night, I remembered another reason why IL2 has kept my interest...

Because Team-Killing little *%$#&$ smacktard bastards don't tend to bother with flight sims as it takes to much effort and skill just to get off the $&%#^@ ground, let alone line up a shot on your team-mates...

Oh Delta dude, me and Acesteel also have Operation Flashpoint, and Flashpoint resistance, as you say, we have found no better land sim, and are waiting patiently for Flahpoint 3 coming out in '08, maybe we can get together sometime and play flashpoint? have some cool missions built by our friends online. The best is taking out a crew with a well placed grenade and taking thier tank, or helo....soooo much fun.........Jax

• 1. DDz Quorum

I have Flashpoint too, and the latest offering from them 'Armed Assault' which supports TiR 6DOF.

Not spent much time playing it though..a spin off DD Flashpoint squad sounds interesting :).

I have Flashpoint too, and the latest offering from them 'Armed Assault' which supports TiR 6DOF.

Not spent much time playing it though..a spin off DD Flashpoint squad sounds interesting :).

I never got around to Flashpoint, although from the description, it seemed liked something that was up my alley.

S! All

Cheer up ! OFP-2 is coming out soon in 2008 , a new reworked game with amazing graphics and the same unbelieveably realistic and intense gameplay . You will still be able to jump in and drive pretty much everything and oooooooh the weapons .

http://www.codemasters.co.uk/flashpoint ... point2.php

Oh and the long coop games were fantastic . It has the most detailed mission builder , you can program the ai to do almost anything . But it's difficult to figure out how to use it and the threads buddy game builder uses are in CZ.