DCS Event: Ramrod 564 - The Amiens Prison Raid

DD_Fenrir

4 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Thanks Dennis, bad luck, but good bombing!

The only DDs to make it home were BluBear, myself and Bob... :(

But the target was decisively and accurately hit - good job everyone!

@FoolTrottel and @Crash we missed you! What happened?

Despite the losses, I'm really impressed with our results on target.

• Like 1

Thank Fen!!!

I had a blast as well! The briefing (although rather long) made me feel like I was to embark on a real WW2 mission. It certainly made it more immersive. I know how much work, blood, sweat and teeth grinding goes into creating a fantastic mission as this was. Can't wait till the next one!  (Wink, wink, Nudge, Nudge.)

Thanks so very much Fen!

• 1. DDz Quorum
5 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Thanks Dennis, bad luck, but good bombing!

The only DDs to make it home were BluBear, myself and Bob... :(

But the target was decisively and accurately hit - good job everyone!

Digital_Combat_Simulator_Black_Shark_202

DCS_2022-09-18_23-39-39.png

@FoolTrottel and @Crash we missed you! What happened?

Well, shortly after takin' up a heading for home, the thing 737-maxed me again...

Down low, increase of speed, too little elevator trim up and ... it just drew us into the ground. 

Had had this under control all way in, but then to mess it up at that moment... horrible, so I said my thanks to Crash - who did a fine  nav job - and left discord.

• Sad 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Final BDA:
Please note, no criticism or judgement meant here; this is just for your own information and evaluation going forward.

Digital_Combat_Simulator_Black_Shark_2022.09.18_-_22.30.44.05.DVR.mp4_snapshot_09.12.595.jpg

After review of the combat film from all surviving aircraft and crew reports:
1. Fenrir - 3 of his 4 bombs landed short but the last landed within 2ft of the wall and was just close enough to drop it... skin of the teeth job though....
2. Kronenberg - released a little high and possibly with a slight loft as he managed to spread the bombs and hit the two outbuildings on the north side of the compound.
3. BluBear - all 4 bombs just short, bad luck!
4. Zukker - too early release and in a dive, bombs well short.
5. Sheriff - forgot to open his bomb bay but manages to crack the wall with his wing bombs only (a). Then cheekily swings back round to re-attack from the SE, narrowly avoids getting a face-full of 2nd Wave's bombs detonating as he runs in but nonetheless delivers his remaining bombs with remarkable accuracy and breaches the wall again (b). Ten-out-of-ten for dedication and derring-do Ross, but there's a fine line between bravery and, well.... 😉 
6. Bremspropellor - release too high and too late; bombs went long and landed in residential area West of prison. One of your bombs detonated instantaneously, causing the engine loss.
7. Wingflyr - a text book drop, absolutely spot on centre of target; couldn't have done it better if he had a CCIP pipper! Well done.
8. Dixon - fractionally late release, luckily the 1st and 2nd bomb on target, the others landing slightly beyond.
9. 464 Sqn Yellow 2 - release was too early and line-up was to the right.
10.  464 Sqn Yellow 3 - lineup was good but release too late; bombs detonated outside the prison wall to the south.

You guys were travelling at 320-350ft per second; ergo, 1/10th of a second means the difference of ~35ft (10m). Add in the massive differences any variation that the height of release can bring, with pitch attitude at release compounding the problem, plus trying to keep some semblance of formation, well, you all did an amazing job.

• Like 3

Cat's out of the bag then. Now I can reveal the true intel I received. Top-secret killer SS robo-rabbits were stationed in that field and I wiped out the bloody lot of them.

My wing bombs despatched any surface critters and the 500lb-ers appear to have tunneled right into the burrows eliminating their production line. 

I'll accept a DFC&bar minimum. Nothing for the nav naturally, he didn't even turn up. 

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...
  • 2. Administrators
2 hours ago, Friar said:

Bought it now. Wont buy any more though...

Pretty sure I've heard something like that before...... 🤣

Edit, @Friar its on the Channel map, Normandy map doesn't have winter textures, just summer, Channel map comes in 2 flavours.... 

• 1 month later...