Graphics Cards

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

So with the mining bubble bursting and GPU prices starting to get a bit more sensible - I'm looking an upgrade to my venerable 980Ti which thankfully has soldiered on through the recent shenanigans in the marketplace.

Question is, what should I go for - given that I can only game at 1080p (space prevents me having anything larger) do I need more memory or a faster card? As I see it at the moment the 3060 is nearly in budget, so do I get the regular card with 12GB of vram or the significantly faster Ti version with 25% more cores than the standard card but only 8GB?

I mean I'm clear on which is the more capable card at the top end, but for my much more modest requirements??? Why do you guys think?

• 1. DDz Quorum

If your CPU can handle the faster one, go for the faster one.

Meaning: Try and figure out where the bottleneck will be when getting the card with more memory, and if it is the card (and not the CPU/Memory) then go for the faster one (Dunno how to do that excactly, but there was a site that might be able to show you?)

Besides that scientific approach:  if you're only on 1080p, go for the cheapest option. My 1080ti 12GB runs GBS and DCS fine on 1080p. DCS maybe not on all full details, but I do not care, don't have time or braincells to spare to look around how nice everything looks whilst trying to keep them birds in the air, and navigating and weapons systems and stuff... :))

• Haha 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
8 hours ago, FoolTrottel said:

If your CPU can handle the faster one, go for the faster one.

Meaning: Try and figure out where the bottleneck will be when getting the card with more memory, and if it is the card (and not the CPU/Memory) then go for the faster one

I think FT has a good point there regarding cpu. It doesn't matter what card I run I know my bottleneck is my i7 5820k cpu, it was the slowcoach in my system when using VR. Are you going to get the graphics card so that you can use VR now or are you making it future proof so that VR will be possible in the future? Getting the right combo of cpu and gpu is something to think about.

• 2. Administrators

No intention to use VR either now or in the foreseeable, so it's all about frames and eyecandy on the screen. I'm not too worried about bottlenecking, my 9700K still has some decent oomph and my RAM is decent too. 

• 2. Administrators
On 5/20/2022 at 7:39 PM, Crash said:

A fast graphics card will also help with "photography" Know what I mean? nudge nudge :)

Hmm, well, that is important too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2. Administrators

Well, having watched the prices tumble for the last few months, I've finally pulled the pin on a new 3060Ti - £450. 

If you're in the market for a 3000 series card about now is likely to be about the best time to buy as, with the 4000 series round the corner, nVidia are cutting production of the 3000 series silicon in favour of the 4000s so the prices now are as low as they are likely to get as retailers sell through their remaining cards in preparation for the new models. 

Interestingly this 3060Ti has a lower TDP than my 980Ti - 200W against 250W and it has an intelligent fan mode so when the card is idling the fans spin down to a full stop saving power and (obvs) making the card silent - although that said even when in game, the fan noise is negligible.

In GBS earlier, my framerate was well excess of 200fps so when my new 144Hz monitor turns up I'll be taking advantage of that. Nice to have the stick back and to get the Mossie out of the hangar for the first time.

• Like 4

Ah, I too have been watching this decline in pricing.

My thought too little too late is, get the biggest and fastest you can afford, so what if it bottle necks the cpu, in the next year or two, it will probably need replaced any how. Then your card may be enough still or your next bottle neck LOL

• 2. Administrators

That's my view too Todd - I tend to upgrade piecemeal so next upgrade round would be mobo and CPU at least, possibly memory & cooling too. But at that point the 3060 will (hopefully) still be viable so the bottleneck will just move from one area to the other. Given that I game in 1080p the bottleneck is really my monitors, but there's no physical room for anything else so I don't really need to be concerned about it.
31st is a possibility Colin, we'll just have to see how it goes.

• Like 1