Making Maple Syrup

Blairgowrie

I try to keep you guys amused with pictures from backwoods. Over the next few days, I will update this thread with new pictures of how to make Maple Syrup. The pictures you are about to see were taken a few days ago when the sap was running. You need freezing nights followed by warm sunny days for the sap to run. The other guy in the picture is my neighbour Bruce, a retired teacher who taught woodworking and helps me with projects from time to time.

So far he has collected 60 gallons of sap and will start boiling in the next few days. I will endeavour to get photos of that process and post them here. I will also submit a profit & loss statement for the first year of maple syrup production for your edification and enlightenment. Keep in mind that it takes 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup and once you start boiling you have finish the process. I know Bruce has ruined several batches when he has drunk too much and fallen asleep. What a sticky gooey mess.

bg and Bruce take a short breather

BG--Bruce.jpg

Let the tapping begin

Tap1.jpg

Tap2.jpg

Tap3.jpg

Tap4.jpg

Tap5.jpg

55 taps later

tap6.jpg

tap-7.jpg

tap8.jpg

This is where he boils the sap. He has a large stainless steel pan which gets placed on the fire pit.

tap9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...