Testing Arras map for dogfight event

• 1. DDz Quorum

I had a fly about on the Arras map that Friar has put up on the dogfight server in order to test airfield usability and bridge damage settings.

On the southern Allied airfields I was able to take off and land a fully fuelled and fully bombed up A20 with relative ease. I was also able to take off and land a fully fuelled and bombed up Me110 on one German airfield but not at St. Margarite, a light fighter only airfield. Friar was on TS too and was able to hear my test first hand. I am aware that he has put a lot of time into airfield textures so that we can use the runways on the map - to me there is an advantage to this and a disadvantage. The advantage is that there is a bit of unevenness that gave more realism to taxiing, take off and landing and I liked this a lot as it seems to replicate actual grass fields. The disadvantage is that outside the landing areas Friar has created the ground is too bumpy for safe landings - unfortunately it isn't clear where these areas start and end especially at St. Margarite. To use the airfields safely pilots should be aware of the changes in grass colour as this marks the safe boundary. Avoid pale grass areas for landing even though the 'T' is within it. Using a tower to indicate the beginning and end is a great idea but I don't think they line up at the moment.

As for the bridges, I destroyed road and railway bridges easily with a single 250kg bomb from the A20. It didn't have to be a direct hit, being close in the water was enough. I could destroy a bridge with a single 100kg bomb but that had to be a direct hit on the bridge deck or the road/rail section of the bridge ramp. A near miss on land or water wasn't good enough.

Keep up the good work Friar, I like what you have done and also like the ideas you mentioned!!

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Just thought, it would be interesting to see if the small 20/50kg (or whatever they are...) bombs the 109s carry are effective at bridge destruction with the current settings....