TrackIR substitute

GreyKnight

To all those who don't have TrackIr like myself, I found another option on the official forums that is cheap and works.

http://freelook.org/

I got it working with just these ingredients...

• [*:2wk47wag]A webcam (Mine is a little Creative Webcam Pro)
    [*:2wk47wag]A LED mini-torch on a key ring
    [*:2wk47wag]Red acrylic paint
    [*:2wk47wag]A baseball cap
    [*:2wk47wag]4 small Neodymium magnets.

First I painted the lens of the LED torch with red paint to reduce its luminosity. Then I super-glued 2 small Neodymium magnets to its underside and placed the torch on the peak of the cap. The LED is right on the edge of the brim. Then I super-glued the remaining 2 magnets to the underside of the brim (ensuring that the torch was straight.)

Then install the above software and configure the settings till you're happy.

It's basic, but it works in IL-2. Some videos of it from that site...

http://freelook.org/showcase/ssasu_freelook.wmv

http://freelook.org/showcase/freelook_early.mov

p.s. Now I can spot Fireman trying to get on my 6 slightly easier now.

Yep, I was fiddling around with it for ages last night.

I'm still not happy with the current setup, it gets a bit shaky the further away you turn. But hopefully I'll fine tune it further still.

My kids thought I looked funny though. ;)

• 1. DDz Quorum

the things we do for love.....

i spent a very wet raininy sunday in my garage woodworking to make a post that fitted onto my computer desk shelf to raise the height of my trackir camera so that it had a good view of the reflectors.....

• 1. DDz Quorum

the things we do for love.....

i spent a very wet raininy sunday in my garage woodworking to make a post that fitted onto my computer desk shelf to raise the height of my trackir camera so that it had a good view of the reflectors.....

Frior stepped back to admire his handy-work, pleased with his carpentry skills.

Then he realised he was going to have to apply them again, it looked like his desk was now a little small.

At least his Track-IR was rock solid now, and at the right height...

[attach=1]

2_7ab1a95d731f737dfe4f0205436d6339

• 1. DDz Quorum

LOL.....Although I think that I may have to send Sister Sarcastica round. She is of Baltic extraction, her mother worked in a tractor factory greaseing nipples. He father was the local organ grinder. She had a very hard childhood, being sent out each day to gather up the navel fluff from the local bath house. She then dried it and used to stuff padded bras which were later exported to India to be sewn up. This brought in very little income and as a result her father threw her out when she was 16. She did plan to marry a boy from the same village but when he was old enough his father sent him away to work in the mongolian noodle mines. This left her all alone. She decided that the only thing for he to do was to pack her bags and head for the city. She was not sure what she was going to do, but knew that she had to do something. Her journey across the country was a rough one, one frought with dangers. She was a pretty girl and was aware of the looks she got when ever she passed a group of men. She got herself a couple of cleaning jobs but they were not enough. She was eaking out an existance. In hind sight it is easy to she how a young girl could be lured into such a devilish trade. It could offer her a much better living, it would put clothes on her back, she would be looked after. The Priory is ever thankful that Frior 43 got to her just before she signed for CNN.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

GreyKnight

I have the software.

Built the hardware (I'm not telling what my wife and kids said about the headgear!!)

I can see the motion on the cross hairs on the freeview software

All seems to be working but:

how do I get this to translate to mouse movement/ get this to work ingame???

Its driving be nuts!!

Ive been evaluating FreeTrack

Its much more advanced than freelook.

the 30 page instruction pdf gives details for a single LED cap (2DoF only), a 3 LED trackclip (looking very suspiciously like a PRO CLIP) and a 4LED baseball cap.

It claims that its 4 LED tracking system is more accuate in 6DoF than trackIRs.

The best thin about the software is that it has a DirectX window for testing . Set the window to 1st person and you get a small wire frame cockpit to look around with distant boxes at your center , x, y and z points. This means you can test sensativity with out loading IL2.

PS you must minamise the prog down to its tray icon before loading IL2 otherwise you get a huge framerate hit

• 2 weeks later...

~S~ All

My name is Birdy, I have just past Joint-Ops basic flight school with a fellow class mate ( Guitarman) and, although I am a new member to this squad, I have read this post with regards to Trackir. I have seen some images from members of your squad with their homemade head tracker systems and thought you might like to take a look at mine along with a demo of it in operation. I used this as a valuable aid to my training and, if price was affordable trackir would be an option but money is tight and this cost a lot less, only £5 max. so if you are tight on dosh and want headtracking take a look at this, there are links to pictures and the headtracker site. Oh there is also a ntrk recording of a familiar airfield to many of you and please don't be too critical of my, cough, splutter, chokes on words lol.

~S~ All

My name is Birdy, I have just past Joint-Ops basic flight school with a fellow class mate ( Guitarman) and, although I am a new member to this squad, I have read this post with regards to Trackir. I have seen some images from members of your squad with their homemade head tracker systems and thought you might like to take a look at mine along with a demo of it in operation. I used this as a valuable aid to my training and, if price was affordable trackir would be an option but money is tight and this cost a lot less, only £5 max. so if you are tight on dosh and want headtracking take a look at this, there are links to pictures and the headtracker site. Oh there is also a ntrk recording of a familiar airfield to many of you and please don't be too critical of my, cough, splutter, chokes on words lol.