"Operation Doddle Bug"

Zukker

I have created a new mission that tries to recreate the V1 bombing attacks on London and the RAF attempts to shoot down these "original cruise missiles". 

“Operation Doodlebug”

The Third Reich during WW2 came up with some ingenious terror weapons. One of these was the V1 flying bomb the original cruise missile. A gasoline self-guided pilotless air plane (drone?) that carried an 1800 pound explosive warhead. From June 13, 1944 till March 22 1945, the Germans launched 6725 of these weapons towards southern England. 2340 hit London area causing 5475 deaths and over 16000 injured. Each bomb hit the earth when it ran out of fuel or on a timer to shut off the engine. Each rocket explosive warhead could devastate an entire block of housing. The characteristic droning sound that the V1 made as it flew on its pulse motor was known to all Londoners during the war. It gave this weapon its name of "Doodlebug" or "Buzz Bomb" by the British. Every Londoner knew the real danger was when the engine stopped, which meant that the bomb was about to hit the ground and explode.

The RAF was tasked to finds ways to counter these dangerous weapons. Although no real solution was found until the launch sites were all over run in 1945, special RAF planes were tasked with shooting these Rockets down before they could hit their intended targets.

This mission is all about bringing down some V1's and then hitting one of the launch sites.

This mission starts in the morning of June 18, 1944. The D-Day landings have taken place and the battle for the bocage country of Normandy is underway. Although the NAZI’s are on run in the east and in the west and in Italy they still have some very nasty surprises for the Allies. This will be a 2-part mission. Part 1 will be involved in finding and then chasing down some V1’s heading from France, across the Channel and towards London. For this part of the mission you will be able to fly P51’s, Spitfires, and Mossies. This part of the mission should take about 30 minutes. Part 2 will involve loading into Mossies and heading down to France and bombing a launch area for the V1 buzz bomb. This should take about 45 minutes to complete. You will need the Channel map, a P51, Spitfire, and or Mosquito, WW2 Assests pack and a free mod for the V1 bomb.

If you are interested in this mission let me know and we will set up a date for this mission and how to get what you need to get it the mission going.

V1 bomb over house.jpg

London V1 Bomb Damage.jpg

Good ... looks like there is some interest. A Thursday evening for you UK chaps would be around noonish to 1:00 pm time for me. I need a way of sending or having you get the Mod V1 file. I am working on that. Thanks to all that expressed an interest.

How to get the V1 mod to run this mission:

1) go to this site in DCS downloads:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319979/?sphrase_id=11179887

2) Download the Chase of the V-1 Rocket Mission

3) Unzip this folder. You will now have two folders. Missions contains a simple V1 rocket chase mission. Run this one whenever you like. The other is a Mods folder. If you do not have a Mods folder in your DCs saved games then just drag this one to where ever you have DCS openbeta saved game folder. Mine is on my C drive. You will be good to go.

4) If you already have a Mods folder in your DCS saved game folder then just open up the Mods folder from the download, then open up the air craft folder, and copy and paste the Fi103 folder into your aircraft folder of your Mods folder in your DCS saved game folder.

I plan on running my mission on beta as that is the only copy of DCS I have.

Let me know if you have any issues and I can help you out.

Cheers and hope we can run this mission this Thursday. Is that possible Fen?

How about we try to run Operation Doodle Bug on Thursday March 4 at 8:00 pm English time?

If you want to take part just make sure you have the V1 mod file installed as I described above. I will send the mission to Fen in order to run it on the Dogz server. 

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He will need to have it installed in the server game to run the mission. It is a really simple , much more so than the A4 mod that currently exists in our server.

I will send Fen the final version of Operation Doodle Bug sometime today. I have just a couple of very minor tweaks that I want to do.

Cheers

• 1. DDz Quorum
49 minutes ago, FoolTrottel said:

It means that the doodle bug mission can now be hosted on our OB server ...

As long as the mission hosted does not use the Modified V-1 - e.g. every other mission on the server- you’ll still be able to join without having the mod yourself. 

When we run Zuk’s doodlebug mission you will need to have the mod installed to join.