Team speak strategy for the 352nd match

Parts

Hello fellow tankers.

Given that Colin has put a lot of hard work into pulling together the concept, the maps, and the match between us, diesel swilling Dogz, and the 352nd I thought that I would throw my hat into the ring and offer to work out the team speak setup for said match. With the high likelihood that there will be air and ground attack forces in theatre it would be easy for TS to become overrun and unbearable to the user. 

My proposal is that there are two clear lines of command AIR and GROUND. How each one is set up and used needs to be decided between those heading up each force (AIR and GROUND). Sorry but I can't remember the name of person heading up AIR.

The one stipulation is that there is only one TS whisper link between ground and air. This can obviously be handed on in situations where the initial interlinked signaler is for whatever reason taken out for a time. If air and ground pass radio traffic it would then be down to the recipient to whisper it out to the others in their party.

TANKERS HISTORY 

Currently TS is fun as we all get to regale our information across the full range of Dogz in one hit! We laugh, we swear (Sorry FT), we do shit and giggles. Once we are in enemy contact good information is passed between tubs. Sometimes TS gets so busy with that good information, that it gets lost in the mush of noise. Personally this is where TS becomes challenging and I start wishing that I had a whisper setup (nothing personal) that could filter this out. I know that there is a small but dedicated regular Tank crew / Team speak user base out thee and I wondered what you thought about setting whispers.

TANKERS WHISPER IDEA (open to suggestions!)

One person is nominated as Lead signaler - Their role is to communicate with air. Only the lead signaler will be allowed to talk to air support. If the lead signaler is re-spawning and unable to be of any use for a time someone else is to take that role until the lead signaler returns to the fold.

The other tanks can chat as much as they like between tank crews within their own tank, but will only be able to group call on a whisper button. 

I do appreciate that to run with this might make for a less verbal intercourse! I do however feel that it is just one idea and I call on any others to feedback any ideas of TS setup they feel might work.

AN IMPORTANT ISSUE

If we are going to try something like this I do believe that we had better practice it and test run it before the 5th of March. I would need some support going through the button to setup any agreed framework (FT?)

Salute 

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Good idea and suggestions... 

The other tanks can chat as much as they like between tank crews within their own tank, but will only be able to group call on a whisper button. 

This indicates we will all be going multi-crew? And a crew member can only talk to his tank crew? That's very complex to realize. First we need to know the entire tank-line up, like who is in what tank. And then stick to it. No crew changes... 

I tend to think to keep TS open for all tank crew, and try and add discipline to it - radio silence and only the relevant bits being communicated - for example, the commander calls out the target, the gunner then looks for it and kills it. He and does not go "looking looking looking looking... got it .. .about to fire... Fire!"... but silently goes looking for it, and fires a shell at it, or call out 'negative, can't see it' - It's obvious for him to go look for it, and aim at it and shoot it... no need to call all that out!

We'd lose a lot in flexibility if we set it up per tank. Like what if we need to switch to taking individual tanks?  Or if we need to re-arrange the crews due to someone having technical or RL issues? Move people in TS channels during the game running? Hm... 

Separate the comms between air and ground: All for it. We need that.

But we do not need if one spare signalers, if one is down, he can still relay the messages - he may not be in a tank/ac, but he will still be on TS. That should work okay. Unless we say we do not want that immersion wise? 

For sure, it will depend on numbers joining, but I feel they will be such that we can cope on two channels, air and ground, and whispers in between 'm.

What we've learned from the P38 campaign, is that 8 geezers in a channel that are on the same objective can and will work. More is tricky, and mixing objectives... nasty!

Maybe look at it that way: Split tank crews comms in task forces/units, going for a specific objective? Hm. Yeah. What if objective is done? :)

Then there's this: For me, separating the channels has a huge downside regarding the fun factor. As in - if I'm in a tank as a gunner, and I am unable to hear what others are doing or experiencing, it come close to being in a small single player/crew mission, with nobody else in it... 

• 1. DDz Quorum

@Parts Thank you for contributing to the war effort and your support for this event.

I agree with both you and @FoolTrottel.

My suggestion would be

1. Two separate channels, one for air, one for tanks.

2. Pilots can all be in the same channel, from what I have heard comms discipline works (ala P38) so should be ok.

3. Tank General (Parts) is the only person to Speak to Air Commander (Fenrir) and visa versa.

4. Tankers also all in the same channel, however MUST, MUST, MUST only speak to crew mate (if applicable) via whisper. I would also suggest only Tank Commanders (where multi crewed, for single operators, they of course will be their own Commander) should communicate to the open channel. Other crew members MUST, MUST bite their tongue and ONLY speak to their commander via whisper. They can listen to the "net" (that is what the tank radio network was called. There were often two nets A and B with radio operators having to switch between the two to pick up all the communications.) so they know what is going on and know how many friendlies Swep has taken out ! (only joking Swep, you know I love you really...and it is Valentines day in the UK today...)

5. Parts and Fen no matter what their position (in action / re-spawning etc) will relay messages to each other.

6. Perhaps all specific Tank comms (as I think that could be the most "messy") should start with, for example..."Friar to Parts"... and wait for an acknowledgement.

7. Absolutely no telling us what your wife/cat/fish/budgie/child had for dinner mid battle, in other words when the do-dos is being thrown towards the cooling system, important/precise traffic only. 

I need to speak to the 352nd about inter group comms. If we host them as well they are going to want to do something similar so could that be a problem permissions wise @FoolTrottel ? If they stay on their own TS, I need to set up a way of communicating with them if there are any issues etc. It would be good for us all to have a chat with all of them during the event, either before or after anyway.

Can we do whispers on our Public Teamspeak server?

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 hours ago, Friar said:

(...)

Can we do whispers on our Public Teamspeak server?

I see no reason why it would not work... 

We can setup any channel on our Public TS, if it's all known before hand it would be easy. We can assign rights to one of them to create channels... but would be better if they are created before the match, so people can test, and setup whispers and test...

(Or would you even want to go as far as assigning passwords to channels?)

Good responses both @Friar and @FoolTrottel I totally agree about the "enjoyment factor" (FT) I really do. I also think that Colin's setup idea works for me. I am sure that us Dogz will be able to hold their tongues if required to. 

All tanks have open channel and a separate whisper for own tank.

Pre-fix all comms with Name calling name. (Parts to Friar) 

Public channel where both sides, allied and axis, can chat before and after (I don't know that I would want to talk to them during?

Parts and Fenrir (ground-air) channel (That would mean two whisper key bindings for Parts and Fenrir?) Can 2 whispers be set up FT?

On 2/13/2022 at 10:23 PM, Bob said:

Sounds good, happy to assist in testing. @Fenrir is leading air, think we need to deatil who is doing what, for me it will be air if possible, if not then driver in tank crew

Bob 

Cheers Bob, hopefully we can have something in place by Saturday. That way we can all give it a kicking and see if it breaks.