Dogz descend on Duxford?

BluBear

Dangerdogz descend on Duxford?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which date is preferable?

• Summer Show - 18th/19th June
    • Battle of Britain Show - 10th/11th September
    • Flying Finale - 8th October

With the sad news that Flying Legends is once again cancelled this year, I'm suggesting that perhaps we could consider one of Duxford's shows to fill the void. 

It's been far too long since we all got together to watch aeroplanes zoom overhead, drink a few pints and eat some curry. 

Whatcha think?

https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows

• 1 month later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

I'm up for either the June or September shows - I voted June for better (ha!) chance of decent weather - plus it's sooner! - but September's fine with me. The October show is always a 50/50 for climate, so I would advise against.

I think we should choose whichever the most Dogz can get to. 

Is either date a definitive No-Go for anyone?

Currently the June and September dates are 50/50 for attendance. Perhaps I should make a new poll that is one or the other?

I'll happily attend both, but can only stretch to an over night stay for one.

Whilst the June show is nearer and possibly better for weather, the September show will be more warbird focused and closer to the Legends-like experience.

image.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Right then, I'm gonna book a ticket for the 19th as well. I believe that makes three of us so far? Jabo, Fen et moi. Will probably do September as well, possibly with an overnight stay. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So the June show was... lacklustre at best, one P-51, one Spitfire, no fast jets and tons of civvy nonsense. As the late Pete Green once said, oh well.
That said, naturally it was still great to catch up with Fenrir (+FenMa), Jabo and even a fleeting meet with resident T6 and Rapide driver Bongo (not guilty of bending any aeroplanes in case you ask)

However, all is not lost as the initial flying list is now out for the September show and it looks like a winner already, the closest we'll get to anything resembling Flying Legends that is for sure. https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/duxford-battle-of-britain-airshow/flying-list 11x Spits, 5x Hurris, Buchons, Mustang and the usual compliment of resident WW2 hardware. Nice.

So I'm thinking of going up Friday afternoon for practice day, staying overnight and doing the Saturday show, who's interested?
I believe there's a fantastic little curry house in nearby Cherry Hinton that is sorely missing our custom...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Social Secretary has given me permission to book Battle of Britain airshow for 10th September. I would be happy to attend on the Friday for the night out and go to the show on the Saturday.

Is this a go-er? (staying at the Hilton as Blubear suggests?) - happy to share a room.

• Like 1

I'm certainly still game!

Plus, they've just updated the flying list and it's looking delicious. 

17 spits, 6 hurris, 2 lysanders, blenheim is back, seafire, 2 staggerwings, swordfish + lots more

https://www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/duxford-battle-of-britain-airshow/flying-list

To confirm, stay at usual cherry hinton holiday Inn express.

• 2. Administrators

So what are we doing? Friday or Saturday night stopover with show Saturday or Sunday? Just so I know what to book - I'm happy to split a room with you Col, although you may need earplugs.

EDIT - So having done what I should have done in the first place and read the bloody thread, I've booked a twin room at the cherry hinton HIE for the Friday night. I'll book a ticket for the Saturday show as well. My IWM membership will still be valid too so will be a little cheaper. Flying list looks good - is that the Seafire that belly landed in France several years back?

Unfortunately, I will have to fight my way down to Cambridge through the rush hour traffic (I won't be able to leave before 5) so I may have to go direct to the curry house but that won't be a problem - Whoever's making that reservation, could we make it 7:30 - 8 rather than any earlier please?

EDIT the second - Show ticket and car park pass for the Saturday booked.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Chaps, I have been double booked to go to my mate Pete’s 60th birthday celebration on the 10th Sept. His son has arranged an indoor karting event followed by a meal so I cannot decline.

Once again circumstances conspire to interrupt my Dogging !

🙁

• Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Should we make the Saturday show a Dogs uniform event - will have been a while since the old shirts have been worn in force?

We might get recognised as we mill about the airfield?

Looking forward to this now.

Should we book a table at the Curry House? @BluBear aka Facilities Facilitator?

• Like 2