Hey Y'all

Hawkeye98

Hi Danderdogz,

I recently got back into IL2 just a few years ago after moving to north west Arkansas for work and getting a VR rig with Reverb 2 headset. I always wanted to be a pilot as my grandfather was a flight instructor throughout WWII and I have some of his gear, books, and training models of planes and ships. However, I ended up in tech world and use IL2 to scratch my itch to fly and love of WWII aircraft. I have completed most of the missions, scripted campaigns, and a few careers.  It took me about a year, but I finally started playing the scripted campaigns for Flying Circus in VR and love the open cockpit experience (should have tried it sooner). I have been wanting to dive into DCS; however, I think I will save that for when both kids are in college as I don't have the time to dedicate to it between work and family life. At this time, I am just looking to get involved as I think it would be fun to collaborate on campaigns. I may have a little learning curve if manual startups are required, but once I know the requirements I will make sure I am prepared before joining any online campaigns as I am not fond of being the weak link.  

• Does the team fly with Complex Engine management mode?

Took below pic at Rockford Airshow in 2006, in Rockford, IL. 

Rockford Airshow 2006.png

• Like 1

• COMPLEX ENGINE MANAGEMENT - Okay, I will practice up on complex engine management prior to requesting server password to join online battles.
  • TANKS - I have not done much with Tanks as that is a module in IL2 I have not purchased yet. I have all the flight modules; however, I just haven't tried tanks.

- Thanks

There are some instructional videos on complex engine management on YouTube and plane specific tutorial. 

you need to have prop pitch and mixture mapped then seperate engine starts are handy but all explained on videos, if still struggling then we can go through stuff on teamspeak

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for the warm welcomes. Spent most of last night watching YouTube videos on engine management and will work on my key bindings this week.

• Trying to decide if I need to purchase rudder pedals or if I can get by with Joystick and Throttle? Any thoughts?

• 1. DDz Quorum
3 hours ago, Hawkeye98 said:

Thanks again for the warm welcomes. Spent most of last night watching YouTube videos on engine management and will work on my key bindings this week.

• Trying to decide if I need to purchase rudder pedals or if I can get by with Joystick and Throttle? Any thoughts?

Simple answer....? Yes, once you have them and are used to them you will never go back to twists and keys... 

• 1. DDz Quorum
9 hours ago, fruitbat said:

Don't worry,  complex engine management isn't complex!

Fruity is right, it can seem daunting but when you have these notes by Jade_Monkey it becomes easier...use this cockpit notes mod by lefuneste and it becomes a lot more easy as you can see the info in cockpit.

The videos are great and are useful too. Once you have the controls mapped it's fine....don't be worried about asking, someone here will help. 

Team,

Should I focus on a specific plane or be a generalist. I know there are P-38 campaigns on right now, but wasn't sure if I should focus there or with another plane. Any suggestions?

• Cockpit notes mod is really cool, thank you for sharing.
  • Currently bidding on eBay for some rudder pedals.
  • Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

This may be useful Hawkeye....my setup includes 3 x Saitek quadrants with levers and buttons. I use 2 for engine management but any axis or pair of buttons can be used to achieve the same result. We use complex engine management to get the best out of our engines, if you don't use it then it is hard to keep up because if it's on auto management, the sim uses a safety margin so that the engine doesn't get damaged. This margin is enough to decrease the engine power to the point where you definitely aren't getting the best performance.

One of the best things about this sim is that you can assign multiple actions on the same axis/buttons. A good example is I have 'cowl flaps/water rads/oil rads' on the same lever. It helps because it cuts down on the number of axes/buttons needed and can be done because radial and inline engines generally don't share controls so there is no conflict.

Some of the actions I have assigned are rarely used, like the rpm limiter on the Spitfire, so they aren't essential whilst learning. All of the radiators, fuel mix, prop rpm are though.

Cheerzen

Engine controls.jpg

Hi , hope you get sorted with management, you shouldn't stick to one plane as that would limit understanding and enjoyment, pick one twin engine,one allied single engine and a Luftwaffe single engine to start and work from there. I forgot to mention that you will need bodenplatte add on to fly in campaign. Nearly everyone here has all add-ons and use them all in coops