Idle hands....Wind Angle calculator for level bombing

• 1. DDz Quorum

Feeling a lot better now....cough all but gone and cold symptoms pretty much gone too. Still at home until Friday so, knowing some things could do with sorting, I tidied up/updated my flying paperwork and thought....hmmm....I have a table with figures on it for calculating the Wind Angle for level bombing....what about a hand held calculator!

I printed off a basic compass and the wind angle dial found in the IL2 bombsight and found a filing clip used for keeping paperwork together. The compass is to show the aircraft heading and wind direction, the wind angle dial for the aircraft heading and the clip is for the wind direction.

Enter the aircraft heading onto the compass using the aircraft, place the wind direction pointer on it's heading and there is the offset angle...in this case 50 degrees to starboard.

Works a treat :)

IMG_20220102_131603.jpg

IMG_20220102_131624.jpg

IMG_20220102_124037.jpg

IMG_20220102_131534.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
49 minutes ago, Bob said:

Great idea Sid, consider yourself promoted to “Holder of the Orb that gives the angle to dangle”

Why thank you, most generous. I will treasure it and get it out often

1 hour ago, Sid said:

Why thank you, most generous. I will treasure it and get it out often

Yes indeedy, with every confidence that your shoes will stay dry, well as long as you don’t mess up your headings with your bearings.

1 minute ago, Painless said:

I am sure that all of these good things go on in Sidly’s brain because it is always kept warm by that wonderful “mop” he still sports ?

You could well be right, the only reason might be all things grow better when come out of somewhere that is full of a “well fertilised “ source material.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 hours ago, Painless said:

I am sure that all of these good things go on in Sidly’s brain because it is always kept warm by that wonderful “mop” he still sports ?

2 hours ago, Bob said:

You could well be right, the only reason might be all things grow better when come out of somewhere that is full of a “well fertilised “ source material.

Interesting conversation..... 😏

1 hour ago, Sid said:

Interesting conversation..... 😏

Yes but nowhere near as interesting as the conversation as to why you get bum fluff in you belly button. No one has yes been able to provide a plausible reason into the reasoning behind this strange phenomenon. 

5 hours ago, Sid said:

I've been trumped by bum fluff in one's belly button.....who'd have thought it.... 😕

Not at all Sid, we all know the reasoning for your ability to generate good things is down to your sheer genius. Bum fluff in belly buttons however remains a mystery that is beyond human comprehension ☺️