Slideshow/stuttering on HL?

GreyKnight

Chaps,

Anyone play HL much? Do you get any slideshow problems playing there with 4.08?

It's just that I have played a few co-ops on BG's server now and exprienced bad slideshow problems, usually when we all meet over the target, which has in turn caused me to lawn-dart quite a few times. So immediately I thought, '...bugger, time to upgrade my PC if I want to continue playing online!"

But then I thought back to the time I spent on HL. Before I joined you guys, I played solely on the UK dedicated 1 server. On there, we often had up to 30 players and played many of the available co-ops. Including that Normandy/Caan map that I've also played on BG's server. And I never got any stutter problems on that server and it had 3 times as many players as BG's on it.

I feel bad now as though I'm slating BG's server that he's kindly opening up for us to fly on.

• 1. DDz Quorum

i dont think that it is your hardware jim. i have not noticed the stutters before on club nights, its usually smooth.

it may be 4.08 doing something different or a rogue process on my machine.

i will have a look tonight at what is running. i have got it down to 26 although i have added that remote connection software. it was disabled in msconfig/startup when i played i think, but again i will check.

I have had problems with flying online since going to 4.08. It was more noticable on warclouds than our co-ops but last night was pretty bad especially on one of the ardennes maps when I was low dogfighting spits in a 109 over flak.

as it seems to be the uk guys that noticed it then it might have been UK network fault as I have to admit I havnt seen it as bad before on jims server and the last SEOW was smooth for me until I got over Caen when it went tits up. as soon as I moved east it was better and even with the heavy flak as I attacked ground targets I didnt notice any problems.

DXDIAG results...

hi mate - your spec is low end for the game - dont know how much you wish to upgrade or are able to but the obvious culprit is your processor - If possible get this up to 2.4 or above. your motherboard manual will tell you what is possible.

your graphics card is low end and Im surprised you can handle a resolution of 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) - do you have a flat panel that you have to run this high ? If you have a normal crt then reduce this to 1024* 768, this will help and make sure you are only running 2* AA and 2*AF in windows display properties.

you could also try running your sound in basic as this will help run dxdiag - click sound tab and move slider to left until basic shows, save and exit.

hope this helps

Dave

hi mate - your spec is low end for the game - dont know how much you wish to upgrade or are able to but the obvious culprit is your processor - If possible get this up to 2.4 or above. your motherboard manual will tell you what is possible.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_sp ... l=845E_Max

Looks like your Mobo can handle at least a 2.4, but the specs say "or higher"...

Try downloading a manual for it to check if you can't find yours.

Hey dave:

OT:

spent yesterday and today with a consultant for the hotel...he's a Scot who came over just 3 years ago.

With his accent, it was just like having you in the room!

People couldn't figure out why I was giggling so much.

there are quite a few regional accents in Scotland mate - mine is central - a mix of glaswegian and edinburgheese. Folk have different words for ordinery things like soda - Dazza will know what Im talking about, he'll get the broad glaswegian accent where he works.

the lowlands around the borders is softer and the highlands are a seriese of grunts and squeeks

I think from Aberdeen area?

funny, he mentioned he came out alot because he wanted to escape the crowds...the 3 hour commutes and something I didn't think still existed: class distiction.

He mentioned that when doing work or applying, etc when they heard his accent he felt they wrote him off as just someone nobody from Scotland.

he must be based in london then - no 3 hr commutes here. Yes you can still get snobbery and class distinction in some areas. Also some folk look down on people in the service industries. I would say that it isnt as bad as the steriotypes and has decreased over the years but still exists. :(

he must be based in london then - no 3 hr commutes here. Yes you can still get snobbery and class distinction in some areas. Also some folk look down on people in the service industries. I would say that it isnt as bad as the steriotypes and has decreased over the years but still exists. :(

yea, he was living there before he came over here.

your graphics card is low end and Im surprised you can handle a resolution of 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) - do you have a flat panel that you have to run this high ? If you have a normal crt then reduce this to 1024* 768, this will help and make sure you are only running 2* AA and 2*AF in windows display properties.

Dave, I would agree with you it WOULD be slow if I ran IL-2 at a resolution of 1600 x 1200 (32 bit), but that's just my desktop. I run the game at 800 x 600 (32 bit) and that's fine.

But I agree about a CPU upgrade. Time to look around for PCs to cannibalise. Flying co-ops with TONS of stuff going on within the campaign is just too much for my CPU.

;)

• 1. DDz Quorum

Dave, I would agree with you it WOULD be slow if I ran IL-2 at a resolution of 1600 x 1200 (32 bit), but that's just my desktop. I run the game at 800 x 600 (32 bit) and that's fine.

But I agree about a CPU upgrade. Time to look around for PCs to cannibalise. Flying co-ops with TONS of stuff going on within the campaign is just too much for my CPU.

;)

Try setting your Desktop to 800 x 600 before firing up IL2, otherwise you are running at 60Hz which'll make your eyes go all funny, and cap framerate at 60fps.

Just read a little on your mobo and as Rog has said stick to 800 x 600 with AA and AF or for me you could goto 1024 x 768 with NO AA and No AF.

I had a 9800XT on an 845 board running a willamette P4 1.7ghz at 2.15Ghz and it never performed that well.