Would love to come and join you guys again.

Hey Folks,

I know its been a while, and this year has been totally chaotic for me. Now that moving is well and truly done, and I have builders and other people out of my hair... (yes its really taken 6 months to sort all this crap out...)
I was planning on coming back to fly with you again, however...

Theres been a few updates since I last played, and thats where my issues are only just beginning. first off I have tried to verify my files through steam, and its made no difference to anything.

I cant link my IL2 and Steam accounts. meaning if I load up through Open Composite for my VR, I am asked to sign in every time I load the game, and when I sign in, I have no aircraft available to fly, because all of my DLC and purchases are on steam. If I load through Steam, my FPS tanks to about 26fps, which renders the game basically unplayable. and thats after closing every conceivable program down through the task manager.

to add to the agony, IL2 no longer recognises half of my input gear. the throttle is working but the joystick is not. I installed the latest drivers and calibration software and this has now happened., the stick is working absolutely fine on all my other games, just not IL2.

I really only want to do a re-install as an absolute last resort. as although I have backed up my key mappings, I would need to run through all of the graphics settings getting the game back up to a decent enough FPS, as well as install all the mods and skins etc. In any case I will be buying a new PC in the New year and I will have to do a fresh install for that so I dont want to be doing it twice over. Hoipefully the new rig will afford me more options when it comes to performance.

any of you guys available to give me a little help trouble shooting at some point?

Tbone...

sort of feels like the following options may be easier...

Repeatedly headbutting a brick wall.
Sitting in a corner rocking backwards and forwards with 2 pencils stuck up my nostrils
Taking up Knitting.
Or just going to work every day. 😭

I deleted it and let the game generate a new file. both devices are listed in the file. but it didnt work.

all these issues are looking more and more likely pointing to a complete re-install. cant wait to waste my entire weekend trying to fix this. :(
I cant even remember how to install the mods etc.

yeah Ive done a re-install, its fixed the joystick issue, but I need to remap everything which is going to take a while.
Still however doesnt fix the issue of having to run IL2 through Steam and Steam VR, as currently thats the only way i can get the accounts to link to access content.

Im going to need to do all the research again around open composite and settings for best performance on VR, which is a pain, and I will also need a little help installing the correct mods that you guys are using. but I will fix the mapping and FPS issues first and worry about mods later.

i will try to chip away at it, but I doubt it will be ready/playable by tomorrow. I may make a cameo appearance Tuesday if sorted, then Im away from Christmas. so wont be back until new year.

yeah thats an option, but I have pretty much all of the collector planes and also WW1, as I like flying those on my own time.
its a lot of wedge. 😕

I bought BoS before I considered what might be required if im Honest, in hindsight I would have done it a bit different.
Steam VR is a necesarry evil, and its not that that breaks it, its the steam app that tanks the FPS as the VR is a tray setting.

plus you also have to have Oculus open as well. its just the final straw that breaks the camels back, but theres no work around as IL2 is based on an old game engine, that pushes even high end rigs to the limit on VR.

I did have it working so that Open Composite used to bypass Steam, but I can no longer access the linked account if I do bypass Steam. so they must have changed something with one of the updates.

yeah once I have figureed out how to install them I can do that easu enough. I used to also have the pilots notes mod, which i found quite handy as I have a lot of planes and I use nearly all of them. its easier than trying to remember all the takeoff, cruise and landing speeds. My tiny brain can only process so much, and a large portion of that processing power goes straight down into my pants. lol

OK well the good news is Im winning!

I have managed to remap all my keys today, and got the game running as smooth as a babys bottom. but its taken a few hours of tinkering and reloading the game, which was frustrating.

So... I just need a little help with the mods and also CHSkins is no longer working. so need a hand with that too. :)

With any luck I can do some flying soon., going to have a quick session the blast off some of the cobwebs.

10 hours ago, xTbonex said:

I did have it working so that Open Composite used to bypass Steam, but I can no longer access the linked account if I do bypass Steam. 

Steam VR is a pain in the arse if you use a Rift.  However, even though you might need to run Steam to access the game, you do not need to run Steam VR;  

Make sure Steam VR is off.  Run OpenComposite,  click on 'Switch to OpenComposite' and close the app. 

Run the Occulus launcher.

Now run the game.

Enjoy an extra 10fps and all that added smoothness.....:salute:

• Thanks 1

yes thats pretty much what Ive managed to do, I figured if I load the game through Steam with VR support Open composite bypasses steam VR for me.
However, fo some reason, if I boot from the Oculus app, it doesnt work... so I guess this is going to be about a boot up process.

but I was getting a good 80fps last night, which is the best i've ever had it running, so I have been able to dial up some of the graphics settings as well and still have good performance.