Introduction - Conure

conure

Hello all!

Thank you DD_Crash for taking the time to message me over in the IL-2 forums when I said I was looking for a squad.

I'm a 35 year old man living on the border of London/Kent with my girlfriend and our idiotic but loveable greyhound. I work in the defence and intelligence industry on the technology side of things running a small team of fellow nerds. I love planes, submarines, ships, tanks etc (though not, I should say, a fan of how they are usually used!).

I've been a fan of flight and flying since I was born (or shortly thereafter - mum can't confirm the exact time + date), and I've been using simulation games (apologies if the word game is banned, if so let me know and I promise to never use it again!) since I was 10 years old with with Microsoft Flight Simulator 95. Since then I have progressed in knowledge but not skill. Generally my multiplayer side of things has been with Vatsim and Pilotedge on the civilian side of things, but I've been flying IL-2 on the Finnish server and realised how fun cooperation is. I'm also a huge fan of DCS, but right now IL-2 is where I'm spending most of my time right now as I work my way through an iron man campaign in the 109.

I own the DCS Normandy map, WW2 Asset Pack, P51, Spitfire and 109K4 but absolutely open to buying other maps / modules as required. I own all of the IL-2 content excluding the Normandy expansion (which I'll buy once the map is out), and the tank content. If you are all happy to have me and use the tank content, I'll happily also purchase that.

Hobbies include Brazilian Jiu Jits, kickboxing, reading mainly modern history/warfare/economics and flight sims. Odd mix but it seems to work for me!

I would like to think I'm an easy going bloke, open to constructive feedback (also keen to learn) and respectful of differing opinions. Keen to find a mature group of people who are more about simulating things / cooperation as opposed to air quake (but also open to the odd session of air quake too!).

Would also love to have a few people willing to run a PWCG coop campaign with too - and your flight nights look ideal.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Luke B

• Like 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hey Conure, yes many of us are “mature” (in years at least) but don’t let that fool you. We can be massively childish, petty, inconsistent and prone to tantrums, it’s why I personally love it here. Glad you can find it in your heart to love an “idiotic” Greyhound as idiocy is something we DDz cling to.

Welcome, I hope you find a home here sir.

DCS is tomorrow evening. Be aware that Fenrir will be trying to persuade you to buy the F-14. F-18, supercarrier and lots of maps. the next GBS session is Sunday. We have had issues with the PWCG not saving so we plan to run SynVander missions and use that as a campaign. We will be flying P-38 or Typhoon on campaign nights and on coop nights we use mainly the plane sets released so far. Occasionally we also use the Hurricane, Yak9 and planes from Normandy.

32 minutes ago, Painless said:

Hey Conure, yes many of us are “mature” (in years at least) but don’t let that fool you. We can be massively childish, petty, inconsistent and prone to tantrums, it’s why I personally love it here. Glad you can find it in your heart to love an “idiotic” Greyhound as idiocy is something we DDz cling to.

Welcome, I hope you find a home here sir.

Nonsense and idiocy underpins almost everything I hold dear, thank you for the warm welcome :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crash said:

DCS is tomorrow evening. Be aware that Fenrir will be trying to persuade you to buy the F-14. F-18, supercarrier and lots of maps. the next GBS session is Sunday. We have had issues with the PWCG not saving so we plan to run SynVander missions and use that as a campaign. We will be flying P-38 or Typhoon on campaign nights and on coop nights we use mainly the plane sets released so far. Occasionally we also use the Hurricane, Yak9 and planes from Normandy.

Well...I do have the F-14, F-18, SuperCarrier and...All the other maps hah. Actually the only module I don't have for DCS cold war and beyond is the F16, and thats purely because I think BMS does that particular aircraft quite a bit better. Huge, huge fan of the F-14. So much so my girlfriend got me a big painting of it for my office/mancave!

Just noticed I don't own the Typhoon as its part of the BoN pack, so I reckon I'll stick with the P-38 for now. Or is it that some nights I'll need one, some the other? If I need both, I'm happy to pick it up - if I'm welcome to join.

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, conure said:

Well...I do have the F-14, F-18, SuperCarrier and...All the other maps hah. Actually the only module I don't have for DCS cold war and beyond is the F16, and thats purely because I think BMS does that particular aircraft quite a bit better. Huge, huge fan of the F-14. So much so my girlfriend got me a big painting of it for my office/mancave!

Just noticed I don't own the Typhoon as its part of the BoN pack, so I reckon I'll stick with the P-38 for now. Or is it that some nights I'll need one, some the other? If I need both, I'm happy to pick it up - if I'm welcome to join.

Tom (Fenrir), will be very pleased to have another DCS fan to play with. As far as GBS goes you are more than welcome to join in with any session you like and find convenient time wise. 
I think it is important to mention that the DDz have always run an “attendance is always at your convenience”, philosophy with real life taking priority as it must. 👍🏻 This has included for some members, weeks, months even years away sometimes , “once a dog, always a dog”

image.jpeg

Obvious question…. Which one ?

18 minutes ago, Painless said:

Tom (Fenrir), will be very pleased to have another DCS fan to play with. As far as GBS goes you are more than welcome to join in with any session you like and find convenient time wise. 
I think it is important to mention that the DDz have always run an “attendance is always at your convenience”, philosophy with real life taking priority as it must. 👍🏻 This has included for some members, weeks, months even years away sometimes , “once a dog, always a dog”

image.jpeg

Obvious question…. Which one ?

Green-Cheek, Beautiful little guy - lived 25 years! Love that you linked that :)

Thanks all :) What's next then?

• Like 1

• 2. Administrators

Welcome to the pound Conure, pull up a kennel. Not the pink one though, that belongs to Painless and he gets...emotional.

Talking of Painless, at the request of the Quorum, I am pleased to confirm your field promotion to full DangerDog - There's no extra money, just more responsibility - like all the best promotions. All it means in practice is that you get a shiny new badge below your name on your forum posts and you also get access to the areas of the forum that we choose not to share with the wider audience - all Dogz are equal, but some are more equal than others.

• Haha 1

Hi and welcome, we fly il2 on Sunday and Tuesday nights, alternating between co ops and our P38 campaign, all you really need is the ability to cold start your (twin) engines, taxi and take off. We fly with speedbar and minimap on coops but without speedbar on campaigns. There is a dogz mod for icon settings. Most important is come along and have fun