The Secret Horsepower Race - Another excellent WWII Pod cast from James Holland and Al Murray

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Just wanted to suggest another excellent podcast from the chaps over at "We Have Ways of Making You Talk"

https://wehavewayspod.com/ep-355-the-secret-horsepower-race/

You don't have to be a piston head to enjoy this one, very interesting discussion on the approach that both sides took to engine developments during the war.

• Like 2

3rded. It's a good one that.

After months of just picking random episodes to listen to, I've finally started from the beginning and listening to them in order.
I find they make cleaning the bathroom an almost pleasurable experience.

• Haha 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

I am listening on my morning "power walks". @BluBear - I too have scrolled back in time and working my way through. The readings of the book about the Spitfire pilot in Malta are also very enjoyable.

In the last episode I listened to the planes were getting ready to leave the Carrier. They had their engines started BELOW DECKS and were pushed back on to the left to be taken up to the flight deck for a quick despatch. Unfortunately, someone did not give enough clearance to the blades..... 

• Sad 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

So you play the podcast from the link and it stops playing? I must admit I have only listened to it via the podcast app on my phone.

I will try and play an episode via the link to see what happens.

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 hours ago, Friar said:

So you play the podcast from the link and it stops playing? I must admit I have only listened to it via the podcast app on my phone.

I will try and play an episode via the link to see what happens.

Yes, it does stop playing. That's due to me ending the play status though.

I should maybe get me a portable-internet-headset-radio-podcast-device ...

As when I clean the bathroom, or take a powered walk, I tend to be too far away from the audio of the pc to still be able to follow the cast. 

I am an old git. I do love my FM radio, would probably still do AM if I still had a device capable of receiving it... 

(No, I am lying here, I do have DAB+ radio... ) 

• Haha 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

What I learned today on my walk listening to the second half of the above podcast...

Russian engines had fitted to them a part not dissimilar to that fitted to F1 engines today...

The Germans turned up for work one day at a Luftwaffe engine testing facility to find no engineering staff, they had all been conscripted to the army...

German plane numbers were found to be over quoted. It turned out to keep the high command happy with production numbers if a plane came in for a refit or paint job they gave it a new serial number...

11 hours ago, Painless said:

I read this little beauty years ago….

image.jpeg

Really amazed at the importance of a man I had never heard of.

Not read that one Mick but on similar lines the book Not Much of an Engineer by Sir Stanley Hooker, is exemplary. Heartily recommend.

image.jpeg

• Like 1