Windows 11 - Installation Changes, Updates, Drivers, Problems

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Given that Windows 11 is available from today (05/10/21) I'm just adding this thread for people to report problems, issues, tweaks etc to assist fellow dogz looking to update to the new OS.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Cheers Jabo. Still not sure if mine will take it as my mobo doesn't have the extra security software needed....that was a few months back though, perhaps the criteria have changed

• 2. Administrators

Well, the X99 does support Secure Boot and there is a connector for a TPM module but the CPU is likely to be a showstopper. They may change the requirements later, but yeah, for now, you'll be better off sticking with Win10

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, Bob said:

Have same issue with TPM, computer says no, which is a little annoyiong when i only purchased in April?

Think you need to switch it ON in the BIOS setup.

Not sure what it is called though... something with intel  Trusted Platform Module ...  

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't jump into it just yet Crash. After the dust settles and initial problems sorted, drivers being re-written for hardware etc, that's the time to look at it all and decide if you want (or have to) upgrade. If you do the workarounds suggested by B16ENK that's OK to get 11 on your system but it does say in it, that security updates would not happen. Windows 10 is still being supported till 2025 so there really isn't a rush.

Like that link B16ENK sent.  👍

I'll be giving it a try on an old experimental laptop I have, which doesn't match Windows 11 criteria.

I was lucky with my own desktop machine as it's just 2 years old. I only had to switch on the TPM on the motherboard to get all the green ticks for the PC  health check.

But I'm still not going to install Windows 11 for a while yet.

• 2. Administrators
11 minutes ago, Crash said:

Yep, i will need a reason to do it. not just ooooh shiny :)

I think that's a fair point Crash.

I'll be upgrading as soon as the software is available but that's just me.

I have been using it for 4 months, not had any issues with anything to be honest - my IL2 gremlins with sound have not been OS relevant as they occurred when I was still on Win10 as well. 

To be honest, as an OS there isn't a huge difference. 

• Thanks 1