Dead Rig

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Sooo, this probably isn’t so good. I received my spare GPU back from Painless this morning and thought I’d check it before putting it away again. Took out the 980, plugged the 970 in, reconnected the cables and…nothing. No lights, no fans, no POST - nothing. Unplugged the 970 and put the 980 back in…still nothing. Commencing diagnostics I swapped out the power cord - nothing. Unplugged everything that was unnecessary. Still nothing.

Sooo what’s next? PSU? Board? CPU? 

Thoughts?

• 2. Administrators
27 minutes ago, Friar said:

Fuse?

1 minute ago, FoolTrottel said:

On/Off switch + cable that connects to the motherboard still okay?

I’ve swapped out the power cable with a known good one, swapped to a known good power outlet and unplugged/replugged the mobo connector

• 1. DDz Quorum

wow...

Maybe try and short the connectors on the mobo that go to the power-switch/button? That should rule out a broken on/off switch.

But next... I'd try a different PSU, and/or try the PSU on a different motherboard -- )although if the PSU is broken and blows out the Mobo the latter might not be a good idea ...)

No need in typing a long explanation.

Just Google

how to diagnose a psu

if you have a meter or can get one you can get your answer soon enough.

I'm guessing you have no lights on the MOBO or fans turning on the in the case, PSU, gpu, old spinner drives spooling up

etc?

• 2. Administrators

No idea I’m afraid Mick, I think I have a dead PSU though. I’ve got the PSU on my bench at the moment and there appears to be no 12v rail as I can find the 3.3v and 5v outputs but neither of the 12v outputs (there should be one at +12 and another at -12. There’s no additional power switch other than the one on the back. What do you chaps think?

• 2. Administrators

Well, this sucks. Looks like it’s not the PSU. Managed to work out which wires to short and managed to turn the PSU on. When checking the voltages again, the 12v is there

• Sad 1

• 2. Administrators

Very possible right now that the 970 has blown up my mobo. Having plugged the minimum hardware back in, even jumpering the power switch leads doesn’t switch the thing on

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

Bloody hell Nick, did not realise a GPU was capable of blowing up a mobo unless you used it as a hammer ?

As I said the 970 worked faultlessly in my PC and it was packed in it’s protective foam lined box for postage so I don’t understand ?

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, Painless said:

Bloody hell Nick, did not realise a GPU was capable of blowing up a mobo unless you used it as a hammer ?

As I said the 970 worked faultlessly in my PC and it was packed in it’s protective foam lined box for postage so I don’t understand ?

Nothing much to understand Mick, any action performed on the innards of a computer might damage it. I remember slightly touching a memory module with an SSD disk... bye bye memory module!!

• 2. Administrators

No blame attached to you Mick in any case. It could be as simple as the card being not completely installed in the slot causing a short across two connectors. Unfortunately there’s no way I can work out where the problem lies on the board and no way I have to fix it even if I could find the fault. I have a new PSU arriving today and if that doesn’t correct the problem then I’m looking at a replacement mobo.

• 2. Administrators
11 hours ago, FoolTrottel said:

:(

Remove memory, clear CMOS?

CMOS battery is out of the computer (has been since last night) so I’ll replace it and try again with the new PSU tonight