Bomb blast radius

Sunflower

Hanglands

Posted Sat September 16 2006 03:28

Hi,

For lack of anything better to do, I decided to test the effective blast radii of pretty much all the ordnance available in game. When I say 'Effective' I mean the ability to destroy a truck.

To test the level of effectiveness I lined up a hundred trucks spaced exactly 10m apart, with a pattern of lights leading up to the first vehicle to aid in dropping the bombs/rockets in the correct place every time.

I only tested ordnance available to players, no AI only ordance (ie FAB5000) was tested. I have only tested ordnance that can be delivered with a single drop (a single click), ie single bombs and bomb pairs (all rockets are obviously pairs too). I have not tested fragmentation, or incendary devices.

Some people will no doubt think "well done youve proven that big bombs do more damage than little bombs". Well, thats not strictly true, some of the results were a bit surprising, and so I retested until I was sure I had a valid result. Anyway, heres the table of results :

BlastRadii.jpg

So the statement "big bombs do more damage than little bombs" is not always true. Check the Japanese 600kg and 800kg results. the 800kg does LESS damages than the 600kg.

And for many other bombloads the relationship between weight and blast radius is not always obvious.

Why, for example are two SC250s not as effective as one SC500?

Why is the effectiveness of 2000ks of FAB the same as 4000kg of SC?

Why is the RAF/USAAF 1000lb bomb more effective than two 500lbs?

Why are two SC500s only as effective as one?

Why are two Japanese 250kg bombs over twice as effect as two SC250s, and over three times more effective than two FAB250s?

Anyway, as an ardent bomber/Jabo-ist, this gave me food for thought. I will consider my bombloads a little more carefully. I hope someone else finds this useful.

Regards.