Reggies woes - any suggestions.

Reggie

Good morning chaps, I have been having a few major issues since the new PC - these only happen in BOS and not anything else. I am hoping some of you may have an idea or 2 🙂

Problem 1: Teamspeak does not recognise my PTT button on my Joystick/Throttle. It is effectively exactly the issue described by many people here. https://community.teamspeak.com/t/hotkey-on-gamepad-joystick-steering-wheel-can-not-be-set/8316/24 - also poor comms - nobody can hear me properly, only background noise/buzzing etc.

What I have tried: 

• Teamspeak re-installs.
  • Joy2key application to map a keyboard key stroke (which TS recognises) to a joystick button. This seems to work - yet when I join DD comms nobody can hear me beyond random buzzes. Microphone tests in both Windows and Teamspeak sound fine in playback, and are picked up fine.
  • Anti Micro application to map a keyboard key stroke (which TS recognises) to a joystick button. This seems to work - yet when I join DD comms nobody can hear me beyond random buzzes. Microphone tests in both Windows and Teamspeak sound fine in playback, and are picked up fine.
  • Ensuring the correct devices are defaulted in both TS settings and Windows settings. 
  • Using headset I have used in the past - plugged into the Oculus. 
  • Many, many tests of microphone and sound listening for distortion or other problems. 
  • Re-install Teamspeak - ensure default devices in Teamspeak are set correctly for both playback and capture. 
  • Drivers all updated for all sound devices - latest Oculus software, latest TS software, latest audio drivers for everything. 
  • Ensure correct microphone selected in Recording Devices in Windows and settings are correct.

Next steps:

• Will probably try to use the Rhino X55 software itself to program a PTT key instead of a 3rd Party app. While this may make no difference, at least I know I will be using software designed for the device - so that should rule out a software issue. 

Problem 2:  Sound devices keep switching on game start. So I have a Rift S - as everyone knows the speakers in that are sh$%^t - so I don't use them - my mobile phone without a headset sounds better. I have for many moons used my studio monitors for main game sounds - and used the Rift speakers for Teamspeak (comms) playback and capture. Which has been really immersive - as you have the sound of aircraft and battle around you - and the sound of the radio in your ears. What happens is - when I start the game it switches my default sound devices in windows away from the studio monitors to use either the Rift or my onboard device (motherboard - which has nothing plugged into it) so I get either crappy Rift sound - or no sound at all. I have started the game and had the windows setting open side by side on my monitor and see it switch as the game starts. I haven't been able to tell if it is Steam VR or the game itself switching it. 

What I have tried to no avail:

• Re-install Oculus. Reset Oculus settings. 
  • Re-install Steam VR - check Steam VR settings - ensure Audio section is set to "Windows Default" for both speakers and microphone. 
  • Ensure settings in Oculus App is set to use "Use Windows Settings" in both microphone and headset - instead of "Use Rift S Mic" and "Use Rift S Speakers."
  • Ensure Oculus Tray Tool is not set to use the audio switcher. 
  • Re-install Oculus Tray Tool. 
  • Disable all devices in Windows that are not relevant - e.g. onboard sound that has nothing plugged into it. 
  • Re-install Teamspeak - ensure default devices in Teamspeak are set correctly for both playback and capture. 

Next Steps:

No idea 😒

To be honest at this point - as I am a windows Insider, I am half tempted to install the Windows 11 beta and see if that miraculously fixes things 🤣

Any thoughts/suggestions on something I have not tried would be appreciated. 

• 1. DDz Quorum

I suspect Oculus Tray Tool is the culprit - it's never supported segregated sound outputs well, particularly when you're directing comms away from the VR headset.

Furthermore I suspect there's a conflict happening between Oculus Tray Tool and the Oculus App. Use one or the other, not both. I only use Oculus App, with Steam VR managing the interface with Il-2, no Tray Tool involved.

Hi Both, 

Thanks for your suggestions.

@DD_Fenrir - I would happily drop Oculus Tray Tool if it is not needed. Is there anywhere you can point me to on how to get Steam VR to set SS etc to improve VR? That is the main thing I was using Oculus Tray Tool for. 

@FoolTrottel - I have double checked that and there are no additional plugins active at all, only the default ones - see below. 

Capture.PNG

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hope you tech brain types can help Reggie get sorted eventually!

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find someone retarded enough to actually enjoy flying with the 485th !?

• Haha 1

• 2. Administrators

I wouldn't resort to installing a beta version of Windows 11 in the hope it'll perform some miracle - if it does fix it you'll be no nearer understanding the problem and if it doesn't you'll be back to square one - and who's to say it's not a different problem...

Happy to set up a video call/teamviewer session if you want to Reggie, 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I am going to try to get online tonight UK time at some point around 8pm to run some tests, so I will pop into Teamspeak to see if any of you are online - I know Friday isn't one of the scripted nights, I think it used to be a CLOD night din't it?

Anyway, if anyone happens to be on I will test comms etc, if not, I will use the time to test audio now that I have done some re-installs and changes.  

So - update on this chaps, i jumped on last night to run some tests, Friar was along so I used him as my Test Subject. 

Friar said some strange words to my computer, no idea what they were sounded Elvish or something - and hey presto, everything worked absolutely fine. Flew 2 full offline missions while Friar was playing Asseto Corsa, and he could hear me al the way through with only 1 minor glitch. Speakers behaved themselves and did not switch - so none of my issues were present last night, go figure. 

Thanks to everyone who offered advice - lets see if it works for next Ops mission I attend - or if it all goes pear shaped again - hopefully not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1