Windows 11 Launch Confirmed

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

So Microsoft's claim that Windows 10 would be the last OS you'd ever need seems not to be the case. Windows 11 will launch shortly and it'll be given to Windows 10 users FOC. Who's planning to upgrade? Were you even aware of this? Are you still using Win 7?

Windows-11-operating-system.jpg

And just how badly is an OS built with gamers in mind going to screw up IL-2 and DCS? 

• 1. DDz Quorum

I think I will upgrade. It's probably rather similar to what's being done to W10 currently -  twice a year a bigger upgrade. That will just go on, so W10 21H2 (or  22H0) will be labeled W11 ... much ado about nothing ...  mêh ... dunno

• 2. Administrators
7 hours ago, FoolTrottel said:

I think I will upgrade. It's probably rather similar to what's being done to W10 currently -  twice a year a bigger upgrade. That will just go on, so W10 21H2 (or  22H0) will be labeled W11 ... much ado about nothing ...  mêh ... dunno

I likely will update too, but given that MS have set an end of service date of 2025 for Win 10, wouldn't that mean that this is complete new OS rather than an upgrade to Windows 10?

• 1. DDz Quorum
3 minutes ago, Jabo said:

I know I know... just meant to say that some of the older Windows 10 versions are out of support already ... 

Call them whatever they want you to call them. Changes won't be as big - I think -  as they were before, meaning, 16 bit -> 32 bit - 64 bit... and stuff.

128 Bit processors, are they comin'?

• 2. Administrators
18 minutes ago, FoolTrottel said:

128 Bit processors, are they comin'?

Probably not quite yet but...Full redesign of the desktop - virtual customisable desktops too. Redesigned menu bar across the bottom. Rounded edge to the windows a la Win7, dynamic tiling, power management changes, GPU unlocks etc etc etc - there's quite a lot of stuff in there.

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 minutes ago, Jabo said:

Probably not quite yet but...Full redesign of the desktop - virtual customisable desktops too. Redesigned menu bar across the bottom. Rounded edge to the windows a la Win7, dynamic tiling, power management changes, GPU unlocks etc etc etc - there's quite a lot of stuff in there.

True dat!

... I'm just hopin' there's still will be some 'switch to classic design'  in there - somewhere!:shaunv2:

• 1. DDz Quorum

I have checked my computer's suitability for windows 11 using the microsoft PC Health checker app. It tells me that my pooter is not compatible because I don't have Secure Boot in the bios setup . It should have a  setting to allow Windows UEFI. I checked and it does have this setting AND it is enabled. Wonder what is going on there....I have looked at the 'fixes' and I have all of them already running. Funnily enough, the same screen showed me lots of lovely new Windows 11 ready computers I could buy because unfortunately mine isn't 11 ready 🙄

This is a hardware issue.  You will need a TPM module that can plug into your M/B. TPM version 2.0 preferably and I havnt got a clue what possible use it could be. IF <- a big if, the OS will run games and VR better than I might  "upgrade" I dont need or use the M$ store nor need to know about new apps. If I need something I will go on tinterwebz and find it.

• 2. Administrators

TPM (Trusted Platform Module) has been a requirement on motherboards/processors since 2016 - if your board postdates that then you should be OK. Enabling Secure boot is only part of the process for resolving that issue - you also need to find the TPM settings and enable that as well. Problem is Intel and AMD call TPM by different names. Intel calls it something like 'Intel Platform Trust Technology' while AMD calls it 'AMD fTPM.

It also appears that the Windows 11 checker app is buggy and reporting a lot of false negatives so may be better not to worry about it just now. MS can't force you to have Win 11 and if your mobo predates 2016 what's the likelihood that you'll still be using it in 2025 when MS stops support for Win 10?

• Like 1

I think this shows just how far up their own backside Microsoft have travelled.

Many millions around the world are just casual non-tech minded users and now they are expected to go into BIOS to check UEFI, Secure Boot & TPM are enabled??

This is an invitation to scam.  I can just imagine the 'phone calls ahead;

"This is Microsoft support.  We are showing that your TPM is not enabled  Mrs. Smith......"

• 2. Administrators

Sooo, having downloaded the checker app and determined that my PC is not suitable for windows 10, I rebooted and went for a fettle in the BIOS. Eventually I found the TPM setting buried down in the Advanced section. 

IMG_2009.JPG

If you read the blurb that goes with this, you find that this is just intel's term for TPM 2.0. so I enabled that, checked that secure boot was enabled (it was) and then rebooted. The machine took a few seconds longer to boot up the first time but returned to normal after that. 

Re-ran the checker and

image.png

The point here is that most recent motherboards will have this in one form or other, so there should be little or no requirement to go out buying new kit for this. Assuming you may be in a position where you are running older hardware that does not support TPM, there are little plug in modules available which will provide that functionality too - According to Scan, these seem to be retailing for less than £20, but you do need to ensure that you buy the correct one. Therefore, it's unlikely you'll be in a position where a new PC is required to run 11 - and there's nothing wrong with staying with 10 (or 7 Dave😉)

It's also worth noting that we're already seeing signs of an uptick in sales of TPM modules as scalpers look to cash in on those desperate to upgrade aging rigs.

• Thanks 1