New guys start... where?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Doh! Sorry, did not read this thread correctly.

This is a bit like the story of how the Noon day gun in Edinburgh always gets the correct time. A tourist was interested to find out so asked at the gunnery station. One of the troop told him that he could see a clock makers in one of the streets below and used his time. Whilst wondering about the city he came across said clock makers and asked him how he knows his clock out side the shop was right, he was told by the owner that he sets it by the noon day gun.

To be honest the P-38 isnt that tricky. I use the Warthog separate throttles for left and right engines, and the grey lever for prop pitch/RPMs. When flying we tend to use RPM and manifold pressure for our engine settings. One handy thing to know is that the mirror settings i think that its medium and high allow you to see the if the nose wheel is down. The ASI is hard to see as it hides behind the yoke.

Welcome Gary!

I find the P-38 is a breeze to fly and operate compared to some of the 'less complex' single engine fighters.

Tricycle u/c = taxi like a demon, no ground looping or losing wing tips in this baby
Counter rotating props = no torque, she flies on rails
Massive fowler flaps = lands nice and slow, just make sure you round out and settle on the mains first

This might help:

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 hours ago, GPatricks said:

Ok, so do I have to fly DD_Fenrir to Spain to sit here and I ask him questions or is there a link to his manual(s) or video somewhere?  :P

To get the best out of Tom(DD_Fenrir), I have found that choosing your moment carefully, plying him with chocolates and promising him the world is probably the most fruitful approach ?

• Haha 2

I came across this a while back and forgot about it, Utopioneer did a nice job of making all these training missions, just ran the 1st flight and WOW, the P-38 is about the most stable ship I ever popped into! Onward!

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 hours ago, GPatricks said:

I came across this a while back and forgot about it, Utopioneer did a nice job of making all these training missions, just ran the 1st flight and WOW, the P-38 is about the most stable ship I ever popped into! Onward!

Ummmm.....ever tried the A20  Bf-110...?

• Haha 1

Not (either) in IL2, no..

Edit: Just finished Mission 1 of the one P-38 Campaign, i'm hooked. Right engine dies 15 miles out from landing, Left seizes up 5 miles out, belly landed in grass... :too_funny:

• Confused 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
3 hours ago, FoolTrottel said:

Ummmm.....ever tried the A20  Bf-110...?

Heyyyy....you didn't ask permission to hijack my post!!! I'd have said no anyway and you'd have done it anyway so this is a pointless post really.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2. Administrators
3 hours ago, GPatricks said:

Edit: Just finished Mission 1 of the one P-38 Campaign, i'm hooked. Right engine dies 15 miles out from landing, Left seizes up 5 miles out, belly landed in grass... :too_funny:

Don't forget that you need to wind the RPM and Manifold pressure back as you can cook the engines quite quickly if you forget to change the settings. Here's the P-38 card for help.

custom_photo2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure but I think the failures may have been on purpose in the mission as it shows I succeeded in bombing, flying on 1 engine, and surviving the landing.. but I really have no idea except it was a blast! I will say IIRC I  never exceeded 46" , prop pitch and mixture were full forward, and we actually flew 90% of the mission at about 25"...

Gonna print that out though!

• 1. DDz Quorum
47 minutes ago, GPatricks said:

I'm not sure but I think the failures may have been (...)

Hey, that's really not how we roll/fly/think/talk over here ...

We are a confident bunch of professionals, we have no doubts, we know of all failures, ours, the accidental ones, all the fAilures and shift!

I am probably quite kinda sure of that.

I think? 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Crash said:

There is a mod that replaces the sweetheart photo with a cheat sheet. Most aircraft have one and its very handy to look at in flight. here

Assume this is the process you are referring to? 

OK, another dummy question.. Got the Pilot Notes, Got JSGME, put the base and PNCP Option 1 folders in the JSGME\MODS folder, activated the Base version.. nothing in the cockpit.. what step am I missing? 

JSGME.jpg

3 minutes ago, BluBear said:

Silly question, are 'Mods on' in the actual game settings?

Yes, but the post says even if they weren't the pic will show up as it's something that is part of the sim (that has been replaced).. Also read somewhere that there is a ticbox for "Photo", don't see it anywhere..