Thoughts on the Graphic card situation

Crash

the video

the comment from OC staff

His video is accurate and I agree it won't be until 2023 until things recover, irrelevant of what mining does.

But he is missing one major point.

Yes the demand is through the roof, but that demand is mostly down to greedy scalpers.

The simple fact is the scalpers have got so smart with their BOT's and scripts that anything that goes live gets bought up immediately and now no matter what we try seems to be futile.
A few examples, we put some 6700 XT live last week at MSRP, brand new product never seen before so its not like scripts/BOTs could have these stored, but the fact was they had sold out in an instant.
Even putting product in none graphic card sections and its an instant sell out.

When 3080 launched BTC and mining boom was not in the news, but the cards were been scalped from day one.

If we eradicate scalpers, the demand would drop massively, in fact its so bad I think nearly half the demand currently is literally scalpers, the reasoning is these people can make hundreds of pounds/dollars per SKU by selling on and you can bet they are not classing it as income and therefor not paying any taxes either. It has for many people become a huge revenue generator and as such they have BOTs and scripts written to buy absolutely anything that appears on any website in an instant meaning that regular gamers and even the miners stand little to no chance of actually buying a card.

So yes it could be worded that yes we are all the problem, but delete the scalpers from this equation and I think things would be vastly better.

The fact is the scalpers are scanning every webshop selling GPU's, everywhere worldwide creating instant sell out, its a worldwide issue that is causing sell out and the only cure is that supply can vastly improve or resellers try to do their best to prevent it, but its near impossible as even NVIDIA and AMD themselves cannot stop it and even sites like Amazon cannot stop it who have major IT infrastructure. I monitor a lot of FB pages and I see the same people selling cards on a regular basis, clearly just scalping.

Whilst the scalp market can still turn a profit, the demand is gonna be way beyond where it would normally be, mining can die tomorrow but the scalpers will keep buying whilst they can turn a profit. The only real cure is a massive uplift in supply, of course once lockdowns finally end then regular demand will reduce as people will start spending money on holidays, eating out again etc.

Phones are not a good idea "your call is important to us" etc with hundreds of calls in the queue. It is a world wide problem that is hard to deal with. OverClockers are trying to sort something but it is only for long term forum members with over 2000 posts. Physically going to a shop would be better but that isnt practical at the moment. What ever they do someone will say that it isnt fair.

• 1. DDz Quorum

(...) even NVIDIA and AMD themselves cannot stop it and even sites like Amazon cannot stop it (...)

Why would they even want to "stop it"?

Online stores can stop it. May cost them some money, but it is possible ... I'm sure they can be creative and find a way around them bots if they really want to. 

Oh well... we're all doomed!

• 2. Administrators

16 hours ago, Painless said:

Some clever buggers should set up a graphics card reconditioning company ?

I've got a reconditioned 980Ti you can buy Mick - it's a snip at £500

• Confused 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

More fool those buying the cards that have more money than sense and are feeding the dickhead scalpers. It'll stop eventually, it's a fad that unfortunately would affect us and others like us at a time when we would prefer less stress ie. not being able to play online because a graphics card has broke.

• Thanks 1

• 2. Administrators
1 hour ago, Sid said:

More fool those buying the cards that have more money than sense and are feeding the dickhead scalpers. It'll stop eventually, it's a fad that unfortunately would affect us and others like us at a time when we would prefer less stress ie. not being able to play online because a graphics card has broke.

I agree Sid - but looking at completed auctions on ebay, it looks like there's a lot of people prepared to take the risk.