Time for a new rig, probably.

BluBear

• 4 months later...
On 3/31/2021 at 8:50 AM, BluBear said:

Well the bottleneck sure is obvious now:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41531338

Other than that, I'm pretty happy although not sure why my Ryzen 7 is showing  "Performing below expectations (36th percentile)"

Was curious to see how the rig shapes up with the 1080 now, much better:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47382374

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I'm close to (finally) pulling the trigger on a new graphics card and a Quest 3.

Currently eagerly awaiting the release of the 4080 SUPER - any minute now, right - which after some consideration is probably the card of choice for me.

Or, do I just bite the bullet and get a 4090 that'll see me for a number of years... 🤔 I can hear @fruitbat whispering "do it, doooooo iiiiiiiit"

@wingflyr where are you on this now? Did you say you were holding out for the 4080 SUPER? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BluBear said:

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I'm close to (finally) pulling the trigger on a new graphics card and a Quest 3.

Currently eagerly awaiting the release of the 4080 SUPER - any minute now, right - which after some consideration is probably the card of choice for me.

Or, do I just bite the bullet and get a 4090 that'll see me for a number of years... 🤔 I can hear @fruitbat whispering "do it, doooooo iiiiiiiit"

@wingflyr where are you on this now? Did you say you were holding out for the 4080 SUPER? 

BB,

Yes Sir today is the day I drop hard cash on 4080 Super, if there sold out I will order one. Asus TUF 4080 Super $1369.00 ca

still a lot of money for a card IMHO. A 4090 would be nice but, stupid amount of money but if a person can afford it and fell comfortable about it, then I say go for it. The Quest 3 is very very good for its value, quite happy with it.

Hmmm, I'm reconsidering.

Plenty of comments on the Overclockers forum suggesting the 4080 SUPER is only 1-3% performance gain over the 4080.
Asus TUF 4080 Super going here for £1,200 ish, so I'm now sorely tempted to bite the bullet and just go for one of the Gainward or Palit 4090s which are only £400 more.

Haha, listen to this madness!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Oh I don't know now; reading a lot on the OC forums, I'm now leaning back towards a 4070Ti SUPER.
I could stretch to a 4090, but I can also think of plenty of other things to spend the difference on. It would still be a tangible jump for me from a 1080.

Perhaps, sit at a 4070Ti SUPER until the 5090 comes out next year 😁

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, BluBear said:

Perhaps, sit at a 4070Ti SUPER until the 5090 comes out next year 

...and then wait just a bit longer as the 6090 is just around the corner..

I feel your pain on this BB. Its a lot of money to spend and we all would not want to make the wrong choice.

It almost feels like the more you research into it the muddier the waters get. It is very difficult I think, in most cases, to find "this is definitely the way to go", there are always caveats which you have to weigh up.

• Haha 1

Indeed Col. It's one game I definitely don't want to play.

They say buy the best card you can afford, but even now I'm finally in the position after a couple of years saving etc. to get the top card, the principle of it feels all wrong.

I suppose it boils down to measuring value in these things rather than just raw cost. And that's a personal thing. I then reflect, that despite suffering with stuttering, low resolution and rapid filling of VRAM for the last couple of years, I still bloody love flying DCS in VR right now. So, the improvement I'll see with a 4070Ti SUPER & a Quest 3 would surely be worth it.

Damn DCS, why can't I be into Minecraft.

• Haha 3

• 1. DDz Quorum

I view it as my hobby. If I played golf there would be club membership fees, the latest in golf stick design, jumpers, shoes etc.

DCS gives me many, many hours of fun and I do circle round the VR options as I would REALLY like to see what it looks like, but I am not spending any more money....

• Like 3

Awesome Chis,

Yup on Thursday picked up my 4080 SUPER and installed, that's why I was DCS absent.

All I can say is wow what a difference.

Still have a lot of tweaking on settings to experiment with.

16 VRAM is your VR friend ,24 VRAM is even better. You are good for a long long time.

Still Ridiculous money($1369.00 plus tax) I spent on it, What ever happened to the reasonable priced GPU of the passed, unfortunately now long gone. Good news at least I sold my Quest 2 for $300.00. Bought it new for about $400.

• Like 1

Ahh cool. I see. Nicely done!

Picked up my Quest 3 yesterday as well, do you use the official link cable or a third party one? The meta one seems a touch pricey. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BluBear said:

Ahh cool. I see. Nicely done!

Picked up my Quest 3 yesterday as well, do you use the official link cable or a third party one? The meta one seems a touch pricey. 

3rd party one that has a chip built in it, that cable to the headset then PC,

which  then you plug in the headset charger into the chip  then regular electrical wall input for a continuous charge.

Other words it will start to depleat the battery as you play  while it slowly charges it at the same time.Thus making game play much longer.

This has many advantages

1) if you play a long time with a regular plug in cable it depletes the battery faster, also you don't what to deplete very low all the time which will weaken the battery it time.

2) use of the chip cable gives you longer play time at a safe and less depletion of the battery.

3) Reg cable will cause quicker wear and tear on the headset small USB because dumb  design flaw constantly unplugging and plugging to charge the headset. With the power cable, plugged in and forget.

Picture below

IMG_20240106_224325698.jpg