Time for a new rig, probably.

BluBear

Well I finally got confirmation over the phone that I should have my order this Saturday. Have to say, I know they are stretched, but the service hasn't been exemplary. After they tried to get me to downgrade because my mobo wasn't in stock, I found it on their website under a new LN number on sale for cheaper than I'd paid for it! 

Anyway, minor refund on its way and everything now in stock and being stress tested as we speak. Just under a month from ordering. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Painless said:

Just wondered why places like Novatech (my local), have “5 in stock” ready to go with 30 series cards ?

Is a 3060ti not that good or something ?

https://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/reignsentrypro.html

I dont think the 3060ti would be a vast improvement on the 1080. Certainly not worth thinking about.

• Thanks 1

• 2. Administrators

The 3060ti is a big improvement over the 1080. 21% according to https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4090vs3603

If you're not intending to go to VR, the 3060ti will more than max out your monitor. The 3060 on the other hand has slightly worse performance than the 1080

The 3070 is undoubtably the better card, but the 30% extra cost only gets you 9% more perfomance https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4083vs3603

43 minutes ago, Jabo said:

If you're not intending to go to VR, the 3060ti will more than max out your monitor. The 3060 on the other hand has slightly worse performance than the 1080

The 3070 is undoubtably the better card, but the 30% extra cost only gets you 9% more perfomance https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4083vs3603

The 3070 is probably entry level for VR which is the point.

• 2. Administrators
15 hours ago, Jabo said:

If you're not intending to go to VR

15 hours ago, Crash said:

The 3070 is probably entry level for VR which is the point.

I don't think I was disputing that. For VR, yes, the 3070 is likely the minimum requirement in the current generation of cards but Mick asked if there was a problem with the 3060ti/3060 cards not whether they were suitable for VR. The 3060 does not represent good value for money in my view, but for some people the 3060ti would present a good upgrade path if they're coming from an older card and not intending to go all the way to VR. In the meantime there's nothing available anyway so...

Incidentally, last week I was offered a used 3080 founders edition card for £2,000. I know the card exists and I know the seller personally so that all checked out. I turned it down as I have other things to spend 2K on. The card went into a sealed bid auction and sold later the same day for £2,500. It was at that point I realised that the world had gone certifiably insane.

• Confused 2

My new rig has arrived! Well, the components that'll make up my new rig; some assembly required of course. 

May need some pointers and recommendations with regards to the software side of things - transferring windows, setting up new partitions, user folders etc. Also, can I copy across GBS and DCS installs or will these need to be fresh downloads? 

I'll probably tackle this Monday afternoon / evening because I don't think I'll have time to sort it all before the campaign tomorrow night. 

• Like 1

Back up your old installs!

You will still need to start the installs like new to write into your Windows registry, once the initial is done just copy over your old files into the new installs, and then let both games run their file checks and it should be good to go.

If not my advice was cheap LOL

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, BluBear said:

(...)

May need some pointers and recommendations with regards to the software side of things - transferring windows, setting up new partitions, user folders etc. Also, can I copy across GBS and DCS installs or will these need to be fresh downloads? 

(...)

While it is possible to transfer everything, Windows and GBS and DCS, I'd rather install all from fresh  - on a new system.

After installing it, copy the relevant files/folders with settings over. (Though there's a chance your game controllers on the new motherboard's USB ports may require some extra attention ... not sure.

Partitions? One could argue to have Windows on C:-drive, and the rest somewhere else. I have that. But not sure why. Sure, if one needs to re-install Windows, it might make it easier to only format C:-Drive and leave the rest alone. Still, one might need to re-install the rest... I dunno.

Downside of multiple partitions/drives is that you have multiple drives that may run out of free space! :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All valid points FT A fresh Windows install is best IMO on a separate drive from everything.

Once I have it set up with everything I make an image of it, just in case the HD or Windows itself crashes.

Then it's simpleton to bring a new drive back up and running all your stuff again from the image.

The Space thing is Spot On 🤣

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

If the PC did not come with windows and you need a fresh copy, have a look a sites like https://softwaregurus.co.uk/  you just buy the licence from them cost £17.99 for Home £19.99 for professional (all legit, I have used them a couple of times now with no issues).

You then create a windows media device (i.e a usb stick with the msi files on (very simple to do) and install from that.

A lot cheaper than buying a "boxed" version which I believe can be around the £100 mark.

• Like 1

Thanks Col. Although, I own a boxed copy already (have the disc in which to make a bootable usb) and have the licence key which is being used on my current machine. It's just a case of deactivating and transferring right?

• 2. Administrators

No need to deactivate mate - just take your boot drive from your old machine and add it to your new rig - Did this recently for Mick and Windows sorted the whole thing out itself.

Likewise GBS and DCS, if you're using the same drives in your new rig then once you've got the machine up and running with the boot drive, then add the second drive. You might have to remap the shortcuts but Mick's machine just worked. If you're desperate for the extra grief, create new bootable media here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and then boot the machine from the usb stick, delete the partitions from your destination drive (let Windows create it's own) and let the software get on with it. At this point you will probably have registry problems with some games etc so you may end up having to install software again. Needless to say you need to ensure that you have backed up anything that you need in case of problems.

• Thanks 1

Okay thanks Nick, I think I understand it now, however I'm not sure the best way of proceeding with my proposed hardware set up.
Here's the lowdown:

Current rig:

C Drive (SSD1 250GB) Windows + most programs inc. GBS
B Drive (SSD2 250GB) DCS
D Drive (HDD 1TB) DATA - Relocated User files and Steamapps

New rig with new drives, my plan:

C Drive (m2 1TB) Windows with all programs GBS, DCS etc - should I partition or not bother?
D Drive (HDD 2TB) DATA - Relocated User files

I had planned on keeping my old rig as operational as possible, because I may have a plan for it (possible hackintosh candidate).
Therefore, I thought a fresh install of Windows on the new rig would be preferable, transferring windows license, however if your method is doable with my above drive plan, that sounds like the more straight forward option! Once everything is up and running on the new rig, I'd planned on wiping the old one anyway.

Hello, from the other side!

Thanks ever so much @Jabo for your assistance this evening, we got there in the end.

New rig up and running, all drives sorted and now leaving it overnight to download all manner of sim-fliegen-goodness.

• Like 3

• 2. Administrators
12 minutes ago, BluBear said:

Hello, from the other side!

Thanks ever so much @Jabo for your assistance this evening, we got there in the end.

New rig up and running, all drives sorted and now leaving it overnight to download all manner of sim-fliegen-goodness.

Well, that was a bit of a game wasn't it! Glad we got the machine straightened out eventually.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...