Time for a new rig, probably.

BluBear

Has anybody used the Scan 3XS OC custom shop and is it worth it?

From what I can see, for example one could order this R7 bundle for £850 delivered, from the standard Scan site presumably tested but at stock speeds.
Alternatively for only £21 more, one can get the same bundle, overclocked with a 24hr burn-in stress-test. Helpfully, one can also spec this with the desired 32GB Ram as well.

Is it worth it, if this is something I could do myself at home?

I suppose that if it's OC'd tested and ready before it arrives means that if it goes bang, it's their responsibility?

Hmm...

3 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Wow:huh:

At these prices I'm starting to wonder about renting a virtual machine instead of owning a box of components that will be obsolete by year three?

Depends what you term as obsolete old bean. I built my i5 rig 8 years ago, admittedly it's had a few upgrades over the years, notably GFX and RAM, but it's still essentially the same rig and I'm now looking for something to set me up for the next 5+ years that'll be VR capable. Having said that, it is the GFX card prices that make me shudder.

Still beats playing golf 😎

Just now, DD_Arthur said:

I play golf...and I miss playing golf.:(

It's a stock response, insert 'football season ticket', 'green fees and clubs', 'bondage club' etc...

I'm sorry you can't go golfing at the moment though old chap, but there is end in sight now.

Besides, there's always virtual entertainment! 😀

• 2. Administrators
On 2/23/2021 at 5:04 PM, DD_Arthur said:

Wow:huh:

At these prices I'm starting to wonder about renting a virtual machine instead of owning a box of components that will be obsolete by year three?

This option is definitely starting to look promising.