Bit of a challenge....

Sid

• 1. DDz Quorum

Bit of a challenge for you chaps :)

This is a piccie of the cockpit and occupants of my current project.....very much a work in progress as all 3 figures need extensive working to get them in and filler but it's a start.

Can anyone guess the aircraft type I'm building, name the real occupants represented by the plastic figures and the situation that put the real people together in the cockpit?

For fun obviously as I can't offer beer as a prize very easily.....

Cheerzen 

IMG_20210118_233456.jpg

• Like 2

• 1. DDz Quorum
3 minutes ago, Painless said:

Nope, couldn’t be more wrong !

It’s a 

Fiesler Storch, being used for the Mussolini rescue?

look at the nose on the passenger!

Yep, couldn't be more right!! ;)

• 1. DDz Quorum

Could do with some assistance here. The kit can be built as the one involved in the raid and comes with markings for SU+LL. This is a piccie at the time of the raid just before the Storch took off and to me, the codes are SJ+LL. I have seen it built as both. What do you think?

storch.jpg

• 2. Administrators

Wikipedia says SJ + LL and having looked at various versions of the photo above, I'm inclined to agree. Of course, this is taken from footage 'allegedly' shot at the time, but there's nothing to confirm this is the actual aircraft. 

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

I take the pic as the real deal....it is one of a few taken at the time. The raid was acted out some time afterwards using a different unit, much to the annoyance of the original raiders, for the benefit of cameras and propaganda but one thing I am fairly sure of is that they didn't load up a Storch again as they did the first time....it was an extremely hazardous take off first time around.

SJ+LL it is. 

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

It's the Hasegawa 1/32 Fi156 C Storch. It came with two figures, one pilot and one standing Rommel so I had to raid the spares box for other figures however Mussolini is a generic old man resin figure off the net, only one I could find wearing a Homberg hat..

A coat of primer cleans them up and prepares them ready for some colour...it's very rare I paint figures so this could be fun :) Most of the figures won't be seen as the fuselage is narrow and hides most of them and the canopy and frames will obscure much of the upper parts.

As for the canopy frames I try wherever possible to get a ready made printed masking set made from the yellow modelling masking tape, I can generally get one supplied for every aircraft I have built. If not, then yes, lots of masking.....

IMG-20210120-WA0003.jpg

• Thanks 1