What mods do you use?

Crash

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Perhaps it is time for us to update this thread....There may be ones being used that we do not know about that would be a good addition for everyone.

I also get that mods are not everyone's cup of tea, but if it improves our experience in a fair and reasonable way, then perhaps they should be explored a bit more. 

Perhaps we could create a "Dogz Pack" that would be easy to apply via JSGME?

The only ones I use are the ones Sid put together for tank and plane icons.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ok, these are the ones I use currently.

1. The orange block on the right, 4k etc., all enable the use of the Hakenkreuz. This is on default skins ie. the one that is default for the map being flown, user interface, parked aircraft etc. https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35423-mod-historically-correct-official-skins-2k-and-4k/ The installation of these isn't particularly intuitive and there is more than 1 download

2. Green block, Dogz Icon mods, is self explanatory 

3. Grey block are experimental ones - Sun size correction makes the sun appear larger https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/55027-the-sun/ Torpedo He111 replaces the 1000kg bomb for a torpedo but does it for ALL aircraft that carry the 1000kg https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/60901-mod-torpedoes-for-german-aircraft/  Kuban Autumn Desert replaces the textures on Kuban Autumn map to a beta Desert scenario https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/66068-kuban-autumn-nth-africa-desert-beta-upload-updated-version-to-40-04-04-2021/

4. PNCP Base replaces the cockpit sweetheart picture with the specific aircraft Pilot Notes https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/55201-pilots-notes-for-cockpit-photos/

5. 2_CW short grass removes the long grass next to the runways and roads and shows pretty flowers https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/65921-short-grass-and-field-crops-final-version/

The torpedo mod is an issue in multiplayer because anyone carrying a 1000kg bomb, from my view, is actually carrying a torpedo. Stukas dive bombing with a torpedo doesn't work....so I get a slight game hesitation when a 1000kg is dropped as a bomb because my game is trying to make a vertically dropped 1000kg bomb act as a torpedo. This is why it's deactivated, I only tend to use it when flying single player.

My mods July 21 explanation.jpg

• Like 1

I'm a Mod Freak and use several, plus I have a lot more that I use depending on the situation.  Here are my basic mods I use all the time and why;

* GUI_Background_Mute:  Gets rid of the "sounds of war" while the game is loading.

*Historically Correct German Skins for BoS BoM BoK:  Give me swastikas on default game skins.  Does not work for Collector Planes Bodenplatte or early release Normandy skins.

* ICON_NAV_Del:  Get rid of al the navigation icons that can clutter the sky.  Allows plane and map icons.

* CloudsV14_greysky:  Vastly improves the in game clouds and gives more variety.  Latest is V15 but I personally like 14 myself.  NOTE:  Mission builders; if you use this mod and others don't you may end up giving them a low cloud ceiling where they are in soup while those using the mod are not.  Always run one test with mod off if building for a mixed audience.

* Cumulonimus2:  Adds towering cloud banks and multiple cloud layers for some presets. There is a version 3 but again I prefer version 2.   Needs to be added after the Clouds Mod.

* CW_short_grass_V4:  Sends in the landscaper to cut down the "Kansas whet Field" high grass.  Versions available with flowers.  This one doesn't have them.

* Sun Size Correction:  Makes the sun smaller.  Instead of having a sun in near earth orbit it makes it look a bit smaller though still large realistically.  Does not chnage brightness or glare.

* Adjusted_Nav_light_MOD:  Nav lights reduced in luminosity but still visible too far out IMO.  Currently testing for long term use.

* CW_British_flag:  Makes the airfield banner display a Union jack instead of the Russian Star.  Currently no other flag mod available.  I have tried to use the various ingame flags but have been unsuccessful so far.  This is the only consistent mod of it's type I am aware of.

I also have mods that I enable for the Arras map when flying FC.  Depending on the mission I can remove the explosions and smoke (Cease Fire Arras NML), remove the No Mans Land (Arras PrePost War), improve the river banks (Arras River Mod), add ambient smoke across No Mans Land (Arras NML ambient smoke mod).

In addition I will use map repaint mods to simulate different theatres or seasons.  For Kuban I might use one of 4 Kuban Winter mods that give varying degrees of snow from a light dusting to something akin to the stock 1946 Norway map.  I also have repaints for Malta, 'Asia' and Off Winters WIP "Kuban_Autumn_Desert_Beta 4".  Note that his mod is heavy and besides making map texture changes will change the look of trains, artillery, tanks and give you a new default skin set.  It must be removed before playing on other maps as the object repaints and modified plane set are persistent throughout to game.  It is still in process and is a major undertaking.  Once complete I believe it will be a fairly good "Desert war Tobruk" mod for Great Battles.
In addition there are some great, if not always historical, repaints for Stalingrad and Moscow that use much greener textures.

** MODS INSTALL NOTE:  Some mods overwrite others in the sense that they change some files.  This is most notable is when adding Cumulonimbus.  It grey's out the Cloud mod because it overwrites some of the cloud textures to give you  thunderheads/fronts (they don't move) and layered clouds.  You must remove Cumulonimbus to remove the Clouds Mod
Basically the last mod in, if it overwrites anything, is what you will see.  Sometimes a different install order changes the overall look of any given mod.  

I have tons of other mods (Torpedo Mod, Ice Floes, various Rhineland mods) and use them depending on the mission/theatre I am flying in.  None of them change gameplay (and would not be allowed by the Devs if they did) and are all Eye Candy.

I know this is a lot more than you asked for but hey, that's the way I roll.  LOL!

• 1. DDz Quorum
14 minutes ago, Beebop said:

*Historically Correct German Skins for BoS BoM BoK:  Give me swastikas on default game skins.  Does not work for Collector Planes Bodenplatte or early release Normandy skins.

👍 Works for the Bodenplatte collector D9 https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/35423-mod-historically-correct-official-skins-2k-and-4k/?tab=comments#comment-597695

fwd9 swas.jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum

Not a mod but this https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32596-quick-reference-printout-engine-settings-limits-temps/ information is what is recreated in the PNCP mod above. I have it printed off into a pack that I keep next to my pooter...refer to it more than anything else GBS related so I think it is one of the best resources available.

• Like 1

The GUI_Background_Mute one would be useful, but I can't seem to find a current download location for it, they all say "Not Valid" in the posts where I can find it.  

I think a unified "Dogz" pack would be a good idea. There is less to go wrong if everyone is using the same mods :)

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 4:58 AM, Friar said:

Perhaps those that use a wide variety of them could provide an explanation with screen shots as to what they do?

And a Link to them or upload them to the vault JSGME ready.

I can't seem to find that Swaz-Sticker or the Cockpit packs that Crash listed up top?

I use the Dogz icon Mod, But I'd like to tweak it to show pilots name at 500 meters, in RL we would be able to read the aircraft Number.

In 1946 I use to host with plane type at 2000 meters and friendly pilot name at 500 meters they both slowly faded in to view at thos ranges so you actually was shortened 200-300 meters I miss that.

On 7/19/2021 at 8:14 AM, Sid said:

I just deleted these last week, on the ifo given when asking, said Dogz Skin thing had them, is that not true?

• 1. DDz Quorum
40 minutes ago, T_O_A_D said:

I just deleted these last week, on the ifo given when asking, said Dogz Skin thing had them, is that not true?

It's probably true. 

I use the 4K mods listed above because I decided that the default skin for the majority of German aircraft in 4K is good enough for me so the mod puts a Hakenkreuz on it for me - others will see it without unless they have the 4K mod enabled. I have a few custom German skins that have been uploaded to Checkskins so others will see them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sid said:

Thanks, I'm a Dork, Enable Mods was not checked LOL I had forgotten the last time I flew was with Mods off with Perf and them late at night.

This looks sketchy LOL

z.jpg

Nope worked LOL

2021_7_21__2_43_f.jpg

I have not noticed the Rocket before

2021_7_21__2_47_57.jpg