Level bombing introduction session

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hello chaps

Should anyone be interested I will be running a dogfight mission for a couple of hours and chatting through the setup I have for level bombing in the A20 and He111. The idea is to introduce the practice and go through key mappings and actions that will hopefully allow someone to successfully hit targets from height. We tried this during the Old Gits session run on UK time mornings and had some great fun...

The mission will be running on my dogfight server twice, on Monday 30th Nov 2000hrs GMT and Wednesday 2nd December 2000 GMT (my apologies to Clod flyers). You don't need to be at both, one is fine, but hey you might enjoy it and want to do two!!

In order to help the sessions it would be good if those joining would do some checks on their game first:

1. Ensure that when joining a mission in flight your aircraft remains flying level without pilot input - the idea is to be able to go through the bombsight whilst the aircraft is flying without having touched throttle or controls. Go into a 'Quick Mission', select the A20 flying at 3000m and start. We tried this in the Old Gits session and it works ok for the purposes of what we want to do.

2. Ensure that you have key mappings for bomb sight, bomb doors and level autopilot - see attached piccies. No other key mappings are needed because the bombardier actions in this position are all mouse-clickable within the bomb sight screen.

3. Download the two attached .docs 'Correction diagram' and 'Bomb correction for wind' as these will be referred to during the session. Pretty much all of the bombardier actions are simple however there could be a need during a mission to enter a gauge value due to wind direction and speed and this requires a bit of thought. For example, a recent campaign mission briefing had wind at ground level at 0m/s but up to 12000ft it varied up to 11m/s. This will affect your aiming point when level bombing. The attached .docs are intended as a guide and will be explained during the sessions.

Please note that following some testing during the last 2 missions, should anyone now wish to try level bombing during Tom's 'Lightning Strikes' P38 campaign as a member of the 410th Bomb Group flying out of Eindhoven then Tom has kindly agreed to allow 4 A20 slots for 'breathers' during any one mission. If you want to do this then please let Tom know well beforehand so he can do the necessary admin. To aid in identification it would also be good to download the A20 'Night Intruder' and 'Lead Bombardier' skins from this thread ...and some others if you like them :);) 

Cheerzen

Bomb sight key mapping.jpg

Level auto.jpg

A20 bombing.jpg

Bomb correction for wind.doc Correction diagram.doc

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
27 minutes ago, Crash said:

Just had a play with it. Is there an auto mode like the 46 version or do you have to wait until the target is in the crosshairs before dropping?

There is an Auto mode on the 2 x Heinkel 111s and the Ju88 but not the A20 or Pe7s. The german bombers also allow you to differentiate between internal and external loads 

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, xTbonex said:

does the tutorial also cover the JU88?

There is no Ju88 in the mission but the sighting system is the same as the He111 so you could use the sight in the 111 and transfer the knowledge into the 88.

thats sounds like a plan. I had a little fly about tonight, I couldnt even get the He111 off the ground, had a pair of 1800lb boms on board.
i couldnt get the thing close to 200Kmh. was a grass runway though.

Love the Ju88 though, that thing is manouevrable and fast for a bomber! landing was a bit of a catastrophe though.

• Like 1

I have added the F6 option with VoiceAttack so when I say "Bomb View" I can watch the fall of the bombs :) I did enjoy the session but I do find that the gauges are a bit blurred as I cant use the zoom like I can in the cockpit, which makes setting the sight up a bit hit-and-miss. Hopefully a Reverb G2 or Oculus Quest plus a new graphics card should help when things have settled down next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Painless said:

@Tbone.. Siobhan can watch stuff like “Sticky Bum Prancing” on the TV without being able to hear my eyes roll ! 😳

Define 'Sticky Bum Dancing"? is it like Greasy Bum Sex?

My OH, ususally just sits in front of her phone all night shopping, and when she demands we watch TV for an evening, she sits and looks at her phone shopping. while I am forced to watch programmes no sane man would watch.

• Haha 1