Searching question of the day.

How many of you... or who, how have you mapped it and how often do you use calculations for...

GUNSIGHTS!

Ive been watching some youtube vids on the gyro and fixed gunsights and how they operate and relate to IL2,
so how have you mapped it, how do you use yours, and how often are you adjusting it in combat?

Asking for a friend who is crap at shooting., who told me he, 'cant hit a cow up the ass with a banjo'

Although he is getting better, its not through calculations or settings, its more down to visual recognition at this stage. more precision is required.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Only use the fixed gunsight here Tbone. Used to have convergence set to 200m or yards in 46 but found that due to the AI in IL2 GB having a propensity for constant hard flat turning more lead was required to hit a target below your nose. Just moved my convergence out to 250m and found an improvement all round. Considering moving out further to 300m to see how it goes, I know Sid has gone to 300m and likes the results. Apart from that I just rely on the Mk1 eyeball 👍🏻

I will give it a try, Im currently at about 130m. but I like to get in close to see the colour of their mustache. as one of the chaps witnessed last night when I was in that P51 ,I was about 3 feet off his rudder giving him a pasting. lol.
just tend to need less accuracy at that sort of range. but I am finding I need to back up just a little bit. had a few close calls of late. What I havent worked out yet is the relative distance and range I am firing from the majority of the time, where the target needs to be in relation to the recticle etc..., once I have that it should help with banging in the nails.

I confess I havent used a Gyro sight before, but after seeing that video it looks like a snacky little tool to have if I can get it mapped quickly enough in combat

also need to do some testing on my pitch deadzones, Im finding its way too sensitive for me atm. the last few sessions have raised issues for me over how my inputs are performing to my play style. Im quite aggressive on the stick when in combat and I keep flat spinning. the FW190 last night was attrocious, I know its a sensitive tail puller anyway, but it was spinning on near every high speed turn I was trying to perform.

Hi mate , its a question dear to my heart as I am also shite at calculating gunnery. I have studied it and put a collection of tips here, including ww2 RAF, Luftwaffe and USAAF docs

In BOX I have my convergence at 300m and give a lot of lead, if the bandit is turning at all I am basically shooting blind under my nose. Dont chase the pipper, try to learn how many rings lead for the angle the bandit is off. Getting in close is good.

The FW is very sensitive to changes in Angle of attack (or pitch) try to fly as smooth as possible and set up your attack , best practice is you shouldnt be turning in it , dive, turn no more than 20 degrees then wings level and zoom up again

Hope that helps

I don't generally shoot in a high deflection situation unless he's very close.  If the gyro pipper is not visible in the gunsight I generally don't shoot at all - pulling too much G and your rounds won't be concentrated.

This is the theory:

Fix the range problem first with lead pursuit and after that fix the aspect (angle off his tail) with lag pursuit. Get the gunsight steady on an important part of his airplane (engine/cockpit) with near zero deflection.  SHOOT!

In practice what usually happens is:

while I'm maneuvering into position for where the bad guy is gonna be someone else gets in right behind the bad guy and tries to stay with him in a tight turn spraying all his ammo 100 yards short,  then claims I'm cutting in on his kill but I digress.... 

1 hour ago, delta7 said:

Hi mate , its a question dear to my heart as I am also shite at calculating gunnery. I have studied it and put a collection of tips here, including ww2 RAF, Luftwaffe and USAAF docs

In BOX I have my convergence at 300m and give a lot of lead, if the bandit is turning at all I am basically shooting blind under my nose. Dont chase the pipper, try to learn how many rings lead for the angle the bandit is off. Getting in close is good.

The FW is very sensitive to changes in Angle of attack (or pitch) try to fly as smooth as possible and set up your attack , best practice is you shouldnt be turning in it , dive, turn no more than 20 degrees then wings level and zoom up again

Hope that helps

the FW190 was more of a defensive situation, trying to pull a split S ended in absolute disaster, and I lost all my airspeed and ended up having to just nose down, kick the rudder and throttle up to level it.
by the it was too late. but also found it a tricky customer trying to position my attack run when I did have the advantage.

when I attack I like to position the enemy below me and fall almost on top of them, so it requires a bit of jinking to get into a nice position. thats how I tend to close on a target as quickly as possible so I can get right up his ass. my dive at times can be near vertical and then I try to swing up at a 45 degree angle either above or below him.

my bad shooting isnt helping, as I have a habit of following rather than climbing and trying again.

Thanks for the reading mats, I will be sure to check those out.

11 minutes ago, Perfesser said:

I don't generally shoot in a high deflection situation unless he's very close.  If the gyro pipper is not visible in the gunsight I generally don't shoot at all - pulling too much G and your rounds won't be concentrated.

This is the theory:

Fix the range problem first with lead pursuit and after that fix the aspect (angle off his tail) with lag pursuit. Get the gunsight steady on an important part of his airplane (engine/cockpit) with near zero deflection.  SHOOT!

In practice what usually happens is:

while I'm maneuvering into position for where the bad guy is gonna be someone else gets in right behind the bad guy and tries to stay with him in a tight turn spraying all his ammo 100 yards short,  then claims I'm cutting in on his kill but I digress.... 

at the moment Im the guy spraying all my ammo and hitting nothing. lol, but my inputs are a bit sensitive so Im having difficulty fine tuning my position which is also hampering my performance.
on the latter, it doesnt bother me if someone has a better shot and takes it. its one for the team, and it helps win battles.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
21 hours ago, xTbonex said:

Ive been watching some youtube vids on the gyro and fixed gunsights and how they operate and relate to IL2,
so how have you mapped it, how do you use yours, and how often are you adjusting it in combat?

For the gyro sight and for the adjustable fixed sight eg. Hurricane, I use a hat switch on the stick to give me 4 - way adjustment - range increase/decrease and base increase/decrease.

I set the range to whatever my convergence is set to, currently 300yds/300m, and the base to a generic 40ft/13m. I use 300yds at the moment because of the extra amount of ground strafing being carried out and 40ft is roughly the wingspan of fighter aircraft - I rarely change this in flight. Setting 300yds also gives me a bit more built in lead on those pesky AI aircraft that so love to get into turn fights.

3 hours ago, Sid said:

For the gyro sight and for the adjustable fixed sight eg. Hurricane, I use a hat switch on the stick to give me 4 - way adjustment - range increase/decrease and base increase/decrease.

I set the range to whatever my convergence is set to, currently 300yds/300m, and the base to a generic 40ft/13m. I use 300yds at the moment because of the extra amount of ground strafing being carried out and 40ft is roughly the wingspan of fighter aircraft - I rarely change this in flight. Setting 300yds also gives me a bit more built in lead on those pesky AI aircraft that so love to get into turn fights.

My hat switch is being hogged by my rad and cowl flaps inputs. but if adjusting for fighters wing span, and range is nominal and not often requiring constant adjustment in flight I can at least find yet more key mappings to set it up before engagements. Bombers should be no problem, I have a pretty decent idea of the scale difference between say a 109 and He111. so that will work fine.

I was going to jump on and tweak my pitch settings last night, but ended up watching TV instead. lol its largely pitch and yaw inputs thats screwing me up, because my movement and positioning isnt smooth or precise enough.

What I really need is a better flightstick, mine isd a bit crap tbh. (Cyborg X)
Im looking at the Thrustmaster T16000 HOTAS, but I will probably have to beg santa, as I have some big bills coming my way in December in the way of a double whammy of car insurance. and Children are not cheap this time of year either.

plus I have several birthdays to see too as well. all my GFs family are late in the year.

• 1. DDz Quorum
29 minutes ago, xTbonex said:

My hat switch is being hogged by my rad and cowl flaps inputs. but if adjusting for fighters wing span, and range is nominal and not often requiring constant adjustment in flight I can at least find yet more key mappings to set it up before engagements. Bombers should be no problem, I have a pretty decent idea of the scale difference between say a 109 and He111. so that will work fine.

I use a Saitek/Logitech X52Pro hotas and it can be switched between three separate programmable modes 'on the fly'. This gives me over 90 switches/key options, very useful I think.