New Member - Hello.

xTbonex

So the last few days I have been on and off having a tinker with the P38 Lightening.
its a nice steady plane to fly I have to say, it flies really nicely.

my initial observations are:

its got a fairly decent climb/dive rate., and can carry heavy loads with ease.
Gun convergance doesnt matter as all the guns are nose mounted, and they pack a decent punch too!

turn and burn, its going to end up very messy trying to actually dogfight in it. because its appalling. lol, this ones definitely a buzz, spray and pray and and run type plane.

But actually over all, its pretty sturdy and easy to fly.

• 1. DDz Quorum
37 minutes ago, xTbonex said:

So the last few days I have been on and off having a tinker with the P38 Lightening.
its a nice steady plane to fly I have to say, it flies really nicely.

You and I are going to get on well.

my initial observations are:

its got a fairly decent very good climb/dive rate., and can carry heavy loads with ease.
Gun convergance doesnt matter as all the guns are nose mounted, and they pack a decent punch too!

Minor edit required but I continue to like the cut of your jib.

turn and burn, its going to end up very messy trying to actually dogfight in it. because its appalling.

giphy.gif

Oh dear. This was going so well. I had hope for you....

But actually over all, its pretty sturdy and easy to fly.

Vague recovery but...

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

LOL, maybe it felt pretty pants on a turn and burn because I have also been flying Albatros' and Sopwith Camels the last few days, mind you anything would look like it needs an entire city block to turn after flying those.
I must confess, I didnt match off against an FW190 during my testing.

but I was supremely impressed with the climb rate for such a big plane.

those 2000lb bombs though!!! BOOOM! they make a big splash.

• 1. DDz Quorum

As a case in point as to what can be accomplished in a P-38:

While Scharfi, bless her, is certainly no average pilot, it does show that the P-38 is more than capable of holding it's own dogfighting against the late war Jagdwaffe types. If you know what you're doing. 

And yes, all the opponents were breathers.

• 1. DDz Quorum
17 hours ago, xTbonex said:

turn and burn, its going to end up very messy trying to actually dogfight in it. because its appalling. lol, this ones definitely a buzz, spray and pray and and run type plane.

Morning Tbone, welcome :)

I will have to say that it was an AI P38 but I had a low turn fight with it whilst flying a 262 Thursday morning during our regular Old Git's session. The tangle got slow and the P38 couldn't turn inside me so when it levelled out temporarily to stop flopping around I managed to tag it. It couldn't compete after that and I managed to tag it again in a turn causing it to go in. Lucky probably but completely unexpected....Ain't that right Painless....

• 1. DDz Quorum

Yes I saw it all Sidly ! 
As Tom has said (and demonstrated) before, a P38 flown with energy conservation in mind, the correct use of combat flaps and turning to your advantage only against specific types can produce some good results. 
As always it is down to 80% knowledge/ skill and 20% luck ( good or bad) in a fur ball situation IMHO.