Flying Legends 2019 was the last at Duxford

BluBear

This makes me tremendously sad. 😢

I hope the team can find a suitable venue, preferably somewhere with an historic connection.

Regardless, it'll never be the same again.

Here's to the memories!

image.png

A message from Nick Grey

Dear Friends of Flying Legends,

I look at this and the years gone by with immense gratitude for all the wonderful moments we have lived with you our faithful and fanatical community. It is with a heavy heart that we confirm 2019 was the final Flying Legends with our friends at IWM Duxford. We truly hope that our team will find an alternative location to welcome this iconic event and that we will have the privilege of seeing you all again. Thank you for your support and kindness.

Yours sincerely Nick

• Sad 4

As a DX insider Bongo, what have you heard? Is it a disagreement with IWM?

30 minutes ago, DD_Bongodriver said:

Where will it go?

My guesses:

Sywell or Headcorn.

I think Sywell is a good shout from what I've seen of the place online; decent facilities for the public i'm told, with Grace's hangars for visiting aircraft and inevitable tech gremlins .
Although having never actually been I've no idea how well the infrastructure and surrounding area would cope with the numbers? 

And as much as I'd love Legends to be on my doorstep, I can't see how Headcorn could handle said numbers of people or indeed aircraft. Just think how long that flight line stretches out...
The relatively small Aero Legends BofB show can cause havoc around the tight country roads as it is. Unless they significantly scaled down the scope? No heavies etc?

I don't think they'll find a venue to match DX, certainly not in this country. Also, it's become such a large commercial venture under the helm of Grey Jr. it surely has to come close to DX in size to be viable?

So maybe that's the point. We could see Legends move to the US or elsewhere in Europe?

Honestly this has come as a shock, there was no rumour circulating as far as I knew. on the other hand the financial woes of the IWM have been no secret, they really are in trouble.

It has also been a general feeling that the IWM being run by civil service bureaucrats have little interest in catering to WWII aviation enthusiasts and.....sorry to use this phrase....are going a bit 'woke'

• Sad 2

Noooooooo - I don't know what to say to this, I was a FOD for many years, and attended this airshow every year without fail for around 15 years. This is horrendous news. FL was/is huge - I have been to an airshow at Sywell, to be honest I am not convinced it could cope with similar sized crowds, certainly not give the same view. If it leaves the UK, that will beheartbreaking, as it will also mean that many of those flying aircraft of WW2 vintage will go with it :(

Has there been anything mentioned about the other regular shows?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Reggie said:

Has there been anything mentioned about the other regular shows?

No change other than the Legends slot being filled by another Duxford hosted event. They will have to ensure there is no clash with whatever arrangements TFC make or there won't be any aircraft available. As I said the IWM have lost interest in catering to crusty old WWII enthusiasts so that may not matter to them, it will be civil stunt planes and kids everywhere.

• Confused 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Bloody hell, dam and bollocks !

What about Goodwood (RAF Westhampnett)chaps ? They host the Goodwood Circuit Revival event and the Festival of Speed so we know the numbers can be catered for regarding infrastructure. Also the airfield is regularly used by warbirds all year round ?

Lord March is a good egg and an aviation buff so if the numbers add up I wonder ?

No aircraft museums though ☹️
Enquiry has nothing to do with it being only 20 minutes drive from my place 🤓

• Like 1

Just now, Painless said:

Thanks BB........ 
“I guess it’s all about the money then ?” 

Do you think !?

Yeah it seems that could be the driving factor. Reportedly it was touch and go whether FL would be at DX the last few years as negotiations were somewhat rocky.
From the greedy bastard's IWM's perspective, TFC taking a significant cut of such a huge event every summer must have smarted.

At least TFC for the time being will remain at Duxford, this is positive news at least. And really, who knows what next year will bring!

11 minutes ago, BluBear said:

Yeah I heard there was an issue but ultimately it doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen. but lately it has felt that everything the IWM do should have the Laurel and Hardy theme tune played with it. they really can't blame loss of revenue on things like Flying Legends when they made the decision to retain all staff during the COVID lockdown without anybody being furloughed, that's 2 shifts of firefighters and a full compliment of ATC staff to man a closed airfield. and then there's the overpaid and clueless civil service management that make these decisions.

Just now, BluBear said:

Crikey really?! FFS.

It gets better, you know that electric bus they run to bus the public up and down the museum site? yeah they even ran the schedule the entire time the museum was closed.

I also hate to criticise the airfield manager because he is a friend I have known for years but he really should concentrate on managing the airfield and not arse kissing his way into becoming a display pilot using his position as leverage.

• Confused 2

Just now, DD_Bongodriver said:

Can't see it being practical, Air Ambulance and police helicopters might not be compatible. proximity to Stansted and surrounding airspace are issues.

I was about to say the same, along with the locals who I understand also contributed to the cessation of air displays there a decade or more ago.