Microsoft FlightSim 2020

• 2. Administrators

Flying in one of my favourite parts of the country, and over mountains I can name and have climbed many times, and if you see this Rox, so have you!

Also the white cliffs of Dover and a bimble around SE Kent,

• Like 1

It's out now:salute:

https://flyingironsimulations.com/products/spitfire-l-f-mk-ixc-for-microsoft-flight-simulator

It's twenty squid...ahh, I'm so tempted. I believe there are another two or three Spitfires nearing release or under development.  Must summon the strength to wait and see....or notB)

What I really, really want is a Mk. I.

Some piccies of things in the near future....

155553448_3917254351652244_6364935688190

156043528_3910359699008376_7563977626029

16 hours ago, Crash said:

Can you blow up/shoot stuff yet?

Nope and I hope they don’t try and turn it into one either.

For myself at the moment I seem to have lost my mojo for ‘kersplosions and shootin’.

I think it’s a combination of the workload I’m under and the number of Lateral flow tests I have to take🤔.

What I do really crave is a flight around the block in a Cessna or a Piper Warrior or something like that. Unfortunately all my mates who had PPL’s have either let them lapse or in one case have actually moved to Portugal in order to be able to keep flying affordably.

So for myself, it’s the flying not the fighting that floats my boat atm and this thing seems to hit that spot.

I originally started computer flying with my eldest son and  FS95 so in a way I’ve come full circle and to be able to take to the virtual skies, over places I’m very familiar with, in aircraft I’m familiar with has been wonderful these last few months.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum
On 3/5/2021 at 7:23 PM, Crash said:

Can you blow up/shoot stuff yet? Cant see the point if you cant.

Well, I agree with Arthur as it's nice to fly in great scenery, just looking around, chillin'

I have started some of the Bush flights. These involve flying a huge route using VFR only and navigation waypoints like road junctions, bridges and lakes. I have also installed a programme called NeoFly that allows you to fly 'missions' from any airfield in the world. One plane builder is developing a Grumman Turbo Tracker as a fire bomber for wildfires that will be designed to fit into NeoFly....right up my street.

The MSFS experience looks good and is getting more interesting by the week....

• 1. DDz Quorum

I recently bought the DhC Twin Otter , a go anywhere aircraft. It is absolutely great to fly and look at. All types of landing equipment are included....everything.

With MSFS, GBS and messing about in helicopters with my bro in Warthunder (don't scoff, it looks good, they fly well and are great fun!) I have plenty of flying smiles :)

FlightSimulator_2022-01-09_11-34-52.jpg

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Flying over the Antarctic in what appeared at first to be pleasant conditions....closed in very quickly but managed to land and tuck her into the hangar. Weather is very well done...

antarctic otter.jpg

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

That's exactly what you get from it, an opportunity to bimble around admiring the view as well as testing your landings...loads to do.

Tip 1 - get it.

Tip 2 - it's quite intuitive to set up the controls after a bit of head scratching.

Tip 3 - To just bimble around you don't need many controls at all, just basics eg. flight controls, flaps, gear, trim, external view, internal view, cockpit view upper (basically changes the seat height), zoom, brakes and parking brake, refuel/repair. I use engine management but so far all is well with just mixture and prop control (rpm). For the float planes use the water rudder.

Tip 5 - Trackir works fine

Tip 6 - I use realistic settings

Tip 7 - there are loads of addons, paid or free ....be choosy I suppose otherwise it could get unnecessarily expensive. The in game marketplace is a great place to browse.....

Have fun BB!

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

These are my current mods. JSGME works a treat. I installed it in 'Local Disk (C:)\Users\......\Appdata\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe'. It makes it's 'MODS' folder in there.

The path I use for a mod I install is eg. 'AeromacchiMB339\LocalCache\Packages\Community\indiafoxtecho-mb339' This puts it into the 'Community' folder where mods are placed. I like JSGME rather than direct install.

The mod folder content should look like the piccie attached and contain things like 'ContentInfo', Effects, Fonts' etc.

current mods.jpg

Mod file structure.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

I don't know about VR....that may take some reading up. It didn't support TrackIR to start with.... 🙄

Standard is....standard. Deluxe gives you 5 more aircraft and 5 more airports, Premium gives you 10 extra planes and 10 extra airports. Price might be a consideration as it is £50 difference between standard and premium. If you have Xbox game pass Standard is free.

I bought from their store but it can be got through the XBox store too.

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
11 hours ago, Sid said:

Flying over the Antarctic in what appeared at first to be pleasant conditions....closed in very quickly but managed to land and tuck her into the hangar. Weather is very well done...

antarctic otter.jpg

I should say that the scenery in this piccie is an add on, not standard scenery...it is a particular section around an Antarctic base

• Like 1

chaps can i just add,

if you want to take MSFS to a completely different level, download "neofly", basically its a career add on for MSFS. It seems quite daunting at first to set up, but its bloody amazing, it just adds a bit more than "bimbling" although I do just love doing that....but....why not bimble to an airport and drop off some cargo....bottles....which break if you have a hard landing.......take that doctor to a nearby field where a B737 has crashed, land in the field and let her out of a cub....watch those trees though!...it simply is amazing....I have currently worked myself up from 0$, to have 2 people flying for me, 3 different aircraft...im currently flying an islander because its short take off but has a decent fuel/cargo load......oh and just when you think your all set up....a random event of an engine failure and you have to put it down...

The best thing about all this is sound effects of cargo loading, bird strike etc, its quite immersive...i think the end idea is to have animations etc (there are some such as aircraft crash and smoke on a motorway you have to land on etc )

please take a look. if anyone's keen I can always jump onto TS and show you the ropes......you can also get extra money for multiplayer flights.....!!!

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
8 minutes ago, fruitbat said:

One small word of caution Chris, whilst the scenery side  of Msfs is amazing, they didn't put quite so much work into the flight part.

Less of the negative vibes Moriarty..... ;)

It is a cinch to fly though...

• Haha 1

I think really, that's not so much of an issue Kev. After all, if I want realistic flight modelling I'll fire up DCS.
I'm hoping MSFS will just fill that hole of taking in a scenic ride from A to B to C etc. If it looks half decent in VR of course.

• Like 1