Starting DCS - which plane?

DD_Llama_Thumper

• 1. DDz Quorum

MiG-29 is a good choice.

Pros - 3 versions in one purchase: the A, the S and the G. Manoueverable, powerful, fun! Looks great in cockpit and out. Former FC3 aircraft so systems simplified a bit thus making it easier to get into.

Cons - Former FC3 aircraft so no clickable cockpit. Range is a bit of an issue as those Turmansky jets guzzle fuel! Landings can be tricky unless you follow the book exactly by the numbers.

I flew the M2000C and F-16 a lot and both are relatively simple machines that I'd recommend as a first modern-ish, radar-equipped jet in DCS.

Mirage pros:

- easier than the F-16

- super quick and simple start up due to it being an interceptor

- delta wing galore, this thing will go from light speed to stall speed within seconds after a hard turn

- you're not just flying another american jet like everybody else :P

- relatively simple radar (but more limited than F-16)

Mirage cons:

- only four pylons for air-to-air missiles, no Fox 3, no multi target capability

- limited ground attack options (no T-pod or precision guidance beyond INS CCRP/CCIP which are not that accurate)

- radar was a bit buggy in some aspects last time I flew it, but this might have been remedied with recent updates

- weapon management is sometimes counter-intuitive until you get the hang of it

F-16 pros:

- ordnance galore - Fox 1, 2, 3, targeting pod, laser guided bombs, loads of hardpoints

- multi target ability, can lock and fire missiles at up to six targets at once (low chance that you'll get them all but good thing to be able to do!)

- cleverly designed inputs to streamline workload, few controls that do a great many things depending on what mode you're in, powerful when you get used to it

- easy to learn to fly, also super fast start up.

- Helmet Mounted Cueing System makes you kill things by looking at them

F-16 cons:

- harder than M-2000C when it comes to getting used to radar management (I'd say moderately difficult to learn overall, but easy when you get used to it)

- still in early access as far as I'm aware, so missing implementation of some systems, though currently well rounded in what it can do

- (I'm picking nits here) taxiing is harder than easy-mode Mirage, kinda veers off from where you want it to go often and narrow landing gear means you have to turn carefully and slowly.

I'd say F-16 definitely offers more bang for your buck as it's way more versatile and powerful, but the Mirage is somewhat easier and faster to learn and fight in, and a bit more unusual of an airplane visually, being all sports car-like.

I'll throw in the F-5E.  Nice, simple, and can both dogfight and bomb.  No radar missiles though.  Kinda-sorta the poor man's F-16, which is actually the real world role it filled.  Since you're not paying for Jet-A and maintenance, the 16 might be the better bet.  Oh, there is the advantage that it's a finished module, though, while the 16 is still in development.  But then, that never stopped me from the 14, so, yeah.

Be advised that once you go with a full-switch sim, you might not be able to go back to FC-3 types.  Full switch is a major learning curve, but I find that it's worlds beyond the FC-3 aircraft, and well worth the effort.