PWCG P-38 Lightning Strikes Co-op Campaign

An Excellent Mission to get me back into the flightseat.   I had my hands full just keeping track of our flight and making sure I made it home, Almost. (I was just a little cranky I DC'd on the way home.  :icon_sad:  )

Well done to Flight leads Painless and Friar for keeping us all together.

Looking forward to many more, but Hopefully not with disco's.  

A special thanks to Friar for helping getting me sorted prior to.

• Thanks 1

I was lucky enough to spot and bomb military vehicles conveniently parked next to schools, hospitals and orphanages Luftwaffe pilot hotels and officer's clubs that the German propaganda machine called "town buildings".

(the first of my bombs on the first pic probably ended up in the window of the building just before the target) 😶

333.jpg

111.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

German Intelligence intercepted from last nights mission

3 German flights
I./JG2
Ltn. Eberhardt Grottger    FW190-A8
Ltn. Wolfram Kuchler       FW190-A8
Ofw. Marko Nachtigal       FW190-A8
Ofw. Nikolaus Kaiser       FW190-A8

Air start NE of Keltz start at mission start (12:30)
Patrol SE of Nettersheim 2621,2622 / 2721,2722
Land at Koln-Butzweilerhof (2024 np2)

I./KG51
Hptm. Elmar Seyfried       FW190-A3
Hptm. Augustus Kollmann    FW190-A3
Ltn. Theodor Hartknoch     FW190-A3
OFw. Eugen Krampitz        FW190-A3

Air  start SE of Duren at mission start (12:30)
Patrol and attack targets around Eupen 2418
Land at Twente 0624

II./TG1
Maj. Holger Finger         JU523mg4e
Fw. Kristof Kronheimer     JU523mg4e
Fw. Volker Nimitz          JU523mg4e

No information obtained at time of posting

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

I believe I have got to the bottom of the issue with the campaign not progressing; the edits I had made to allow for Reggie's kill on the mission of the 16/11/44 seem to be the issue, as removing all of those references allowed me to roll the mission forward to the 18th on my private test server.

This means that - in PWCG at least - that this kill is unrecorded. However I will be leaving it in the 485th scoreboard for obvious reasons. 

To avoid any further issues, could we please avoid jumping in as spectators to gunner positions - it was raised as a potential cause and I have not yet had the opportunity to eliminate it as a second reason for the lack of AAR acceptance, so busy was I trying to establish the primary cause for the failure. I'm sure you are starting to get somewhat incredulous at repeatedly having to fly the 17th November, so until I can run some further tests and definitively announce that it's okay to, please DO NOT OCCUPY GUNNER POSITIONS ON OTHER PLAYERS AIRCRAFT for now.

Tuesday the 5th of January 2021 is currently a go for P-38 campaign.

• Thanks 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

485th hooked up with 402nd due to low numbers overall (lost Jabo) due to technical issues right after take off, he did emergency land successfully.

Red, Blue and White flights attacked targets with success, lots of guns killed, some vehicles. It felt rather coordinated :)

No real close calls, only one, where Chris nearly merged with a wild Tempest (already called the RAF about that)

Everyone got home! Happy!

Thanks 485th, good show!

(No enemy a/c encountered at all)

• Like 1

I misclicked while choosing my skin and took one with M, then realized it stood for Mick as a subconscious tribute to our missing flight leader. I then proceeded to make a fool of myself while taxiing, trying to not lose Friar and landing. It's a good thing it wasn't my usual plane, nobody has to know!

Edit: and screwed up engine start too, luckily they restarted. The inexcusable part is that I was completely sober.

On a more serious note, I think I understand why people couldn't restart engines after a botched startup. When you press the engine start key after a failed start, it initiates a shutdown procedure, the little HUD messages tell you which switches your pilot is flipping and he's basically doing the startup in reverse order, turning magnetos, and pumps and whatnot off.

I think this shutdown procedure needs to be left alone until it's completed, before the engine is started up again. I suspect people pressed the engine start key before the shutdown procedure was completed and thus the engine on procedure started before the engine off procedure finished, confusing the game and screwing up the order in which the systems are turned on. Not sure if this was already known, but just something I noticed yesterday. If your engine doesn't start, wait until you get no more messages, press the engine start key once, and wait for everything to be turned off. Then adjust the mixture or what ever you screwed up the first time, press engine on again, and it should work.

Don't forget to select the engine that's the problem, as in my case the right engine was running well as I adjusted the mixture before it spooled up. I think if you have one engine running and the other off, pressing the start engine key would turn off the good one and start the one that's off (haven't tested this, maybe I will today just to be sure).

• Haha 2