• 1. DDz Quorum

Mission Date 23/11/44

402nd FS - Attack Transportation Targets, Rotterdam

485th FS - Attack Rail Targets, Den Haag

410th BG - Attack Transportation Targets, Gouda

Debrief:

370th FG

402nd:

Despite fierce AAA resistance the 402nd pressed home a determined attack and whilst only a handful of enemy vehicles were found (and destroyed) they wrought terrible carnage upon the enemy's flak arm, escaping with only moderate damage to one airframe and minor damage to a second, and all 8 aircraft returned successfully to base.

All told the 402nd claimed 38 ground targets destroyed, a superlative performance in the face of stiff enemy fire - well done boys, impressive stuff!

402nd Sqn Log 23-11-44 a.PNG

402nd Sqn Log 23-11-44 b.PNG

402nd Sqn Log 23-11-44 c.PNG

402nd Sqn Log 23-11-44 d.PNG

402nd Sqn Log 23-11-44 e.PNG

485th:

The 485th also faced off against a savage barrage of anti-aircraft fire whilst decimating the rail facilities at The Hague; alas they were not so lucky in avoiding the worst of the enemy's fire. Lt Rox, despite receiving heavy damage pressed home his attacks and claimed 10 ground targets prior to force landing. So too 2nd Lt. Starling, who claimed some ground units before taking hits and being obliged to break off, though he thankfully he managed to recover at Florennes. 2nd Lts. Artois and Tonar were unable to claim targets before they too had to break off and find places to ditch thanks to taking heavy punishment from the guns. Alas, 2nd Lt. Iden Kare's aircraft was seen to strike the ground during an attack run and it presumed he was killed in the subsequent conflagration. It is unclear whether he was struck by flak or misjudged his run and recovered too late. Nonetheless, this recent member to the squadron was already starting to make his mark and his loss will be felt by all.

All told the 485th claimed a solid 27 ground targets, but at a cost - though one that could have been greater, especially considering the brutal defensive fire. Well done to those of you who had the presence of mind to get your aircraft back to friendly territory - whilst the losses in machines are troublesome in the short term, the fact we have managed to keep you the pilots is a far more important resource to retain.

485th Sqn Log 23-11-44 a.PNG

485th Sqn Log 23-11-44 b.PNG

485th Sqn Log 23-11-44 c.PNG

485th Sqn Log 23-11-44 d.PNG

410th BG

The 410th had a rare unsuccessful mission today, the stiff and varying winds at altitude playing havoc with their bomb runs; whilst making what seemed like solid drops from the bomb-sight their runs were frustratingly off target and inconclusive. 

410th Sqn Log 23-11-44 a.PNG

• Thanks 2

• 2. Administrators

There's a slight discrepancy in the data there Tom, the first set of data has me down as completing 19 sorties but the scoreboard says 18. I'm guessing PWCG is counting my take-off prang as a sortie?

• 1. DDz Quorum

First of all, congratulations to the 402nd ! It sounds like you boys had an even rougher time of things than we did regarding AAA.

Having said that we have concluded that the bosh troops manning the AAA you came across were almost certainly raw recruits whereas our chaps were seasoned veterans hence the difference in accuracy !? Just go with it! 😉😘

Seriously, bloody good show both 402nd and 485th.

We look forward to meeting 2nd Lt Iden Kare’s replacement as we are now a man down for the officers “knock out whist” fours team.

• Like 1

• 2. Administrators
2 hours ago, Reggie said:

Ouch, how in the world did you survive that? You must have a head made of concrete 😲

Yep, completely solid - all the way through.

I thought my persona was a goner there for sure. I wonder what the chances of that outcome are...must be pretty darn slim.