PWCG P-38 Lightning Strikes Co-op Campaign

Something a bit odd in the AAR. It said I shot down an 88. I didnt even see one! I shot the port horizontal stabliser off a190. It went into a spin and thats the last I saw of it. I also shot at and hit a 109 that was low and near Sid.

Spectacular! Thanks Arthur and Jabo.

It's all a little hazy, but If I recall, I was climbing up onto a bandit travelling in the opposite direction to this one with a single '38 long to it's six not in firing range. You can tell by my behaviour I am blissfully unaware of you Arthur!

I didn't even see you until the very split second before we collided. Looking at the angles, I suspect you were obscured by the canopy framing for most of the collision course and I was fixated on my target.

Having said that, perhaps I misjudged the angles and what I was actually pursuing was your 190 and all I could see was Jabo's '38 as you were obscured?

Any chance we could see it from my perspective? I'd be interested to see how it differs from my recollection!

Here you go Chris;

As you can see, we're both in pursuit of different bandits that are going into left hand turners to evade.  I've started firing so I'm blissfully unaware of anything and you are cutting the corner into yours and in another five seconds or so you would have been in firing range too.

C'est la guerre!:salute:

• Confused 1

Aha, so my initial recollection was mostly correct.

I would conclude then that on my part, a combination of target fixation and you being almost certainly obscured by my canopy frame for the majority of the collision course.
And judging by that last footage, I was certainly hidden under your nose so we were both blissfully unaware of our impending 'amalgamation'.  🥴

Fascinating stuff really! You can only imagine just how difficult it was to achieve accurate combat reporting at the time.

S~ Sir!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Fascinating insight chaps. Just a case of damn bad luck. It's amazing considering the sheer volume of sky that two entities, so relatively tiny in comparison to the vastness that surrounds them, can so catastrophically gravitate towards one another, particularly in light of the fact that that you were each chasing different bandits!

• Like 1