PWCG P-38 Lightning Strikes Co-op Campaign

• 1. DDz Quorum

Apologies to all that last night was a bust; obviously there were a number of technical issues, many of which that were no one persons fault,  but considering it took 40 minutes to get from server up (2120) to ultimate scrubbing (2200) there is obviously some work that is required. 

I have my suspicions that my internet connection is partially to blame; it may also have to do with the server being hosted by a player - DCS seems to run happier with a segregated host/client architecture and I suspect GBS may be the same.

I will look into options hosting the campaign on the DDz dedicated server with FT. I cannot guarantee this will fix all the issues (lord knows I've experienced the occasional kick/crash even flying our usual coops) and may require a full campaign restart but I will know more in the coming days.

As for personal technical issues; gremlins strike, we've all had them and on occasion even a full test prior to joining an event does not completely eradicate the chance of them occurring. However it will help mitigate the chance of spawning in and finding your TiR has gone for a burton or that for some reason a controller detection has decided to go south. Personally I'd recommend a quick mission free flight or a test on the DDz dogfight server.

Speculatively, it may help to fly the test on the Rheine map before joining the campaign mission as this could load textures into your RAM, minimising the information that your PC is having to process and the load it is having to cope with when attempting to join, making a successful connection more likely. Maybe.

The upshot of this is: from hereonin, if we have all players successfully spawned in but your hardware screws up, then sorry we continue without you. Even if it's a gremlin that didn't show itself in the test prior then you're an abort. Done. We cannot continue doing 40 minutes of restarts every time.

As for pre-organisation of who's flying which position - this will help lessen the time taken to ready up but  will always be subject to vagaries and interference of Real Life. Leaders will have to prepared to be flexible and adjust to on the spot deviations promptly and decisively. 

It would help if those partaking read and thoroughly understood the SoPs The point of me writing all that guff was not just to stroke my own ego or cos I had nothing better to do; it plays an important role in getting everyone in server and airbourne in the minimum of time.

How?

Well it means that the required information to be imparted at briefing is condensed down to just the following:

1. Formation assignments (or any deviations from prepared) - 1-2 minutes 

2. Target - type and location - 10 seconds

3. Navigation - waypoints, points of note & egress headings - 1-2 minutes

4. Loadout - 10-20 seconds

5. Runway in use - 10-20 seconds

6. Any other matters lead wishes to bring up - 30 seconds

Everything else is known and should not vary between missions. Thus a briefing could be over in as quick as 3 minutes.

As for start time; next mission is scheduled for 23/06/20. This mission will have a participation cutoff of 2100 BST.

If you are not in comms prior to this you will not be flying.

If you have not entered server and selected you plane by 2110 you will not be flying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 1. DDz Quorum

Good news! FT and I successfully generated, ran and completed the After Action Report process for a campaign mission with PWCG hosted on the Dedicated Server last night.

As such Tuesday nights mission will be hosted on the DServer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

Bad luck chaps, but it happens.

Nick, Dennis, if you can let me know the names you'd like for your new personas. Sorry gents, but you're back down to 2nd Lieutenants. I need this info soon so I can run the necessary admin prior to this coming Sunday's campaign event. 

As for everyone, else, hope you enjoyed it! Seems like there was some elation, some drama, some surprises, some anxiety and some satisfaction - a good mix if you ask me!

The results are in:

402nd ACR 02-10-44 a.PNG

402nd ACR 02-10-44 b.PNG

402nd ACR 02-10-44 c.PNG

402nd Sqn Log 02-10-44.PNG

485th Sqn Log 02-10-44 a.PNG

485th Sqn Log 02-10-44 b.PNG

• 1. DDz Quorum

I would like to congratulate everyone for last night.

Should we be deleting the previous mission files now every time before re-loading the game?

before re-loading the game?

• 1. DDz Quorum

I would also like to pass on an excellent tip provided by Crash - turn on your cockpit instrument lights. It makes the dials MUCH easier to read. Nice one Crash. 

This seems to be an improvement for both VR and screen users. (evidence from myself VR, Sid and Painless screens)

• 1. DDz Quorum
16 minutes ago, Friar said:

I would also like to pass on an excellent tip provided by Crash - turn on your cockpit instrument lights. It makes the dials MUCH easier to read. Nice one Crash. 

This seems to be an improvement for both VR and screen users. (evidence from myself VR, Sid and Painless screens)

I am sorry, but this makes me think of a tip like 'Make sure your engines are running, as it makes for a much easier take off run' ...  :shaunv2:

Instrument lighting has been like the first thing I switch on when in cockpit, like forever, and ever !

Glad to see everything went well, enjoyed the mission and had no stutters, ground enemy was very low in numbers but we may need to continue with this to prevent problems. The ju88 I was credited with would be a shared kill in reality as Pooka put a few rounds in and did some damage

• 1. DDz Quorum

What I learned from this: Second spawn (the one where I let the mission rotate, ie. not re-loaded on the server) the in-cockpit view was incomplete, had to wait until a/c left and right showed up. And that was when some high pingers lost connection. As this did not happen on 1st and 3rd time: any mission restart in this campaign will now mean the dserver.exe needs to be stopped and started.

And, if Fen keeps on using the 2.PWCG Mission icon on the server, then the large .mission file will also be deleted -> much faster loading ...

Cool stuff, I mean the mission flying itself was. And nice. And thanks!

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 hours ago, FoolTrottel said:

I am sorry, but this makes me think of a tip like 'Make sure your engines are running, as it makes for a much easier take off run' ...  :shaunv2:

Instrument lighting has been like the first thing I switch on when in cockpit, like forever, and ever !

That may be the case but both myself, Sid and Painless were all running without instrument lights, so it was news to us......

• 2. Administrators
6 minutes ago, Crash said:

Well done 485th nobody got lost or shot down :) I never bothered with instument lighting before this campaign but it does increase the contrast on the well hidden ASI

The hunt the ASI game is my least favourite aspect of the P38, especially when one of your props has all 3 blades curled around its engine housing!!!

• Haha 1