PWCG P-38 Lightning Strikes Co-op Campaign

One thing that would help the orginisation is if squadron leaders gave out assignments and loadout as quickly as possible so people could ready up and taxi quickly.

If there are no obvious reasons to change the order that we flew the last few times  then squadron leaders could post their preferred order now. 

If anyone is absent on the night the slot stays vacent , the only issue would be large absences where  flights may have to merge. 

This would give people the oppertunity to improve skills by flying  the same formation each week and get used to their wingmen.

I understand that real life happens, but most of us know if its very likely we are going to be there by the day before mission. It would help Tom if we had a list up of who was going to be there and maybe encourage us pilots to get online in plenty of time.

• 1. DDz Quorum

For the missions I can make I would appreciate an earlier start so if there is anything at all we can do to help that then I am all for it but appreciate what Tom says and that we can not please all the people all the time.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sid would like to keep 485th White flight as it is whenever possible

White 1 - Sid

White 2 - Friar

White 3 - Delta

White 4 - Pooka

I am happy to take whoever is available on the night in 485th Red flight but I am anticipating Horus - Red 2 ( my wingman) and Crash - Red 3 (element leader) being there on most occasions. A regular Red 4 would be marvellous....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Llama, I only have room for you in 402 currently. 

For tonight's adventure the provisional 402 lineup will be:

RED

1. Fenrir

2. Wingy

3. FT

4. Zukker*

WHITE

1. Jabo

2. Blubear*

3. Arthur

4. Lllama

BLUE

1. Fruitbat

2. Rox

3. Perf

Please note those names starred have not confirmed and therefore this arrangement could very well change.

• 2. Administrators
2 hours ago, Llama_Thumper said:

Guys, I realise this is a sh*tty start, but, am unable to join, my work life is pretty unbalanced... 

no problem, real life always comes first :salute:

• 1. DDz Quorum

Well, gents, for the first time I get to say...

Welcome to Debrief! (Whoot!)

01/10/1944

Firstly, great job guys on all making it back. 

Particularly well done to the 485th for hitting their targets so unequivocally. 

402nd - Reconnaissance of the frontline East of Bastogne. Great takeoff, form up and ingress to recon area, cruise alt Angels 16. Well flown gents. Spotted two contrails high over frontline, shortly after two Fw 190s dived through the formation. Broke formation and pursued one through cloud, lost him then reacquired him twice then came up on his 6 as he climbed south east and shot him down with a 2 no. 2 second and one no. 5 second burst, confirmed by Wingy and Zukker. Jabo claimed a probable in the same vicinity but couldn't get it confirmed. Regrouped squadron over Bastogne and we flew back to the frontline. Zenith squadron called mission complete so we RTB'd. All a/c down safe.

To address some issues brought up:

1. Stuttering mid-mission; this is an AI issue and occurs when we fly close enough to the mission area to spawn the enemy and friendly AI air and ground units. I will tweak the numbers of these down further.

2. The multiple restarts were a pain and I am VERY conscious of those who suffer most for it, and can only apologise. For future I suggest the following:

a) All players restart Il-2 prior to joining the P-38 Coop Campaign server

b) All players DO NOT TOUCH A SODDING THING WITH THEIR CONTROLS UNTIL ALL PLAYERS ARE SUCCESSFULLY SPAWNED IN COCKPIT. In 402nd we basically call "Red 1 is in", "White 3 is in", etc, until everyone is in cockpit then we begin startup.

c) We start even sooner. A 2100 start time perhaps?

402nd ACR 01-10-44.PNG

402nd Roster 01-10-44.PNG

402nd Sqn Log 01-10-44.PNG

485th Roster 01-10-44.PNG

485th Sqn Log 01-10-44.PNG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 1. DDz Quorum

Really sorry for blotting what looks like to have been an excellent mission by trying to follow Sid into land and not having eyes on the speed dial (as opposed to the speed bar) and coming in to fast I bounced 1 too many times and nosed over. I felt it was not a good approach and should have gone around to re-try the landing (which on the dogfight maps I have been practising and getting right, probably due to having visibility of the speed bar).

Excellent work everyone else. Just one 38 in the repair shop awaiting new props.

Salute

• 1. DDz Quorum

@Llama, as fruitbat said... “REAL LIFE ALWAYS COMES FIRST” has been the DDz way since 2006.

It is essential for all of us to never feel pressured or overly obligated, flying with the Dogz should always be painless 😉

Friar....  no worries Col, you still played your part in a successful mission and we have a spare P38 available for the low low price of $149.99 per calendar month 😎 

• Haha 1

Thanks for organising Fen, most enjoyable! (Particularly with the split comms so I didn't have to put up with the rabble - joke of course).

Kudos to my leader for bagging a probable Jerry, even if I lost sight of you (sorry old bean). Well lead Jabo.

I can't do Sundays unfortunately, it's family evening so hope to catch the next one whenever that'll be?

• Like 1

@ Friar, I also had difficulty reading the ASI and also the compass. It was a lot clearer when the cockpit lights are on :) The update turned off the jetseat so no shaking with wheels down, flaps etc, also it turned the mirrors off so I couldnt see the nosewheel. I now know where the undercarrage leaver is. I approached way too fast and made a several bumpy landings but I got away with it.

• Thanks 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, BluBear said:

I can't do Sundays unfortunately, it's family evening so hope to catch the next one whenever that'll be?

Next Tuesday '38 Campaign Mission is on the 23rd June old fruit.

Glad you enjoyed it, it was awesome looking back over my shoulder and seeing all those Lightnings in formation. Wonder if Arthur got any good cinefilm of the event?

• Like 2

Apologies for my intemperance tonight.

. I don't get as much time to fly and look forward to our missions and I just think it is is frustrating that we spent an hour trying to launch a mission

I realise that we are pushing boundaries and that the basic game struggles to cope with what we are trying to do but we are not helping each other by some of our actions. 

We need to be smarter to help each other, it is difficult to get a successful launch so we should all be a bit disciplined at the start to give us the best chances of success.

make sure your hardware is working prior to mission

Make sure you have read through this thread, understand what is required and are able to start, taxi, take off, formate fly and land the P-38

Make sure you have the correct skins available

make sure you reboot the game prior to joining,

Once you have joined the server, follow your squadron leaders instructions on loadout pick your skin and ready up quickly.

Once mission has launched touch nothing untill instructed by squadron leader

Squadron leader should instruct on wing position and you should follow instructions on rolling out and takeoff.

On a personal note I would like limited restarts e.g. two or three depending on number effected. If only one or two have issues then mission should proceed, only if there are multiple issues then a restart should be called

This has the potential to be very imersive and exciting. It would be a shame if technical issues etc put paid to Tom's hard work.

• Like 3

• 1. DDz Quorum

I totally agree with Delta. People also need to get themselves up to speed via the forum. All the information is there. 

I also was at the point of jacking it in last night.

That is ABSOLUTELY no reflection on all the hard work Fen has been putting into this.