Second hand processor wanted

delta7

Has anyone bought a second hand processor? anything to be wary of? any good places to source in uk.

I am looking to upgrade, the fastest my board will take is a Pentium i7 4990k 4ghz on a LGA1150 socket. Even second hand  with a fan Im looking at £250 ish

Thanks for any help

Dave

I think that you cant tell if it will be ok by looking at it. I have a feeling that they work or they dont. I sold Painles my old overclocked to 5 Ghz CPU (i7 4790K  4.4Ghz with Gelid Tranquillo Heatsink/fan ) after 2 years use 2 years ago and its still fine. It might be easier to buy a MB+CPU bundle

1 hour ago, Crash said:

. I sold Painles my old overclocked to 5 Ghz CPU (i7 4790K  4.4Ghz with Gelid Tranquillo Heatsink/fan ) after 2 years use 2 years ago and its still fine. 

I'm using PropNuts old i7 3930k which has spent nearly all it's nine year old life running at over 4 Ghz. from the stock 3.2:)

ebay is always worth a watch.

Slightly off-topic but if Painless has that cpu and I believe he's running a 1070 also then he'll be fine to drive an ebay Occulus Rift too. 

• 1. DDz Quorum
7 hours ago, delta7 said:

Has anyone bought a second hand processor? anything to be wary of? any good places to source in uk.

I am looking to upgrade, the fastest my board will take is a Pentium i7 4990k 4ghz on a LGA1150 socket. Even second hand  with a fan Im looking at £250 ish

Thanks for any help

Dave

Something that would affect me if I upgraded the processor on my X99-A Asus motherboard would be that the newer processor would need the Bios to be updated to a newer version. I have never flashed/updated bios so that sort of put me off. Mine has an LGA 2011 v3 socket in the mobo.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Flashing a bios is not that scary any more.

My Asus board can do it for me from within the Bios itself... just a few clicks, like tell it to go check the internets for it, and it tells you there is an update, or there is not. If there is, ok, go for it.

For sure, you may need to re-apply your tunings to the bios, as it will probably was back to factory defaults... in the end, no sweat at all. Smooth!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...