Warbird Recommendation

Mayhem

Considering getting my first DCS Warbird, I'm torn between the 109, Spite and Mustang. As I don't know the current status of these planes regarding updates and their performance in DCS I'm curious as to what you guys would recommend. Might even swing 2 birds but really don't have the time to dedicate. Spite and 109 would probably set me up well for the upcoming channel map, but the Mustang sounds like it's more pleasant to fly and of course has greater range. 

• 1. DDz Quorum

Mustang does fly 'better' as in easier. More pleasant to fly? Not sure, it handles easier on t/o and landing, but airborne it borders to becoming boring! Compared to the spit that is :shaunv2:

Greater range? How far do you want to fly?

Or, long do you want to be in cockpit?

A properly tuned Spitfire with a drop tank will last... well like over 90 minutes... I think?  Fly from South English coast to Normandy, do some flying over there, get back home, no sweat.

The 109 I am not familiar with ...

(Tip: For real extra special fun in flying, get the I-16!)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FoolTrottel said:

Mustang does fly 'better' as in easier. More pleasant to fly? Not sure, it handles easier on t/o and landing, but airborne it borders to becoming boring! Compared to the spit that is :shaunv2:

Greater range? How far do you want to fly?

Or, long do you want to be in cockpit?

A properly tuned Spitfire with a drop tank will last... well like over 90 minutes... I think?  Fly from South English coast to Normandy, do some flying over there, get back home, no sweat.

The 109 I am not familiar with ...

(Tip: For real extra special fun in flying, get the I-16!)

Thanks FT, for some reason the Spit has always had more appeal for me than the Mustang ever did. Then again, flying a 109 against allied bombers like the B-17 it's probably one of my favorite things to do as well, there's just something about the carnage of watching giant planes burst into flames and sometimes disintegrate. I'm thinking probably Spit or 109 for now then the other later. Don't know, that 109, I've never really thought of myself as a 109 guy but when I think about it I've spent a lot of time in the virtual skies in one. I might just get the 109 first just to keep it interesting. And the ground handling of these planes just adds to the fun for me at least.

I know there's some love out there of the Dora and 190s, but for some reason they've just never felt right to me.

The I-16 is certainly the most unique of them all, with its game-changing experience of turning the landing gear crank 44 times while flying a trimless torque galore aircraft with a screwed up center of gravity. More often than not it's a ground breaking experience.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Er.....don’t you two know that you can try nearly anything you want from DCS right now,  for FREE for one month? Offer started yesterday and there’s a fifty per cent off sale on too👍

Problem is i've exceeded my data cap for the month so while I might get one downloaded over a night or two perhaps, it's kind of not practical for me. I'm sorry, what century am I living in again?:crybaby2:

1 hour ago, rox said:

The I-16 is certainly the most unique of them all, with its game-changing experience of turning the landing gear crank 44 times while flying a trimless torque galore aircraft with a screwed up center of gravity. More often than not it's a ground breaking experience.

Well, I saw a documentary with an old I-16 pilot and he swore by it.:sheepsmile:

• 2. Administrators
6 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

Well, I saw a documentary with an old I-16 pilot and he swore by it.:sheepsmile:

At it, or by it!

Mustang is much easier to fly, take off and land, but the Spitfire is much more capable air to air as things currently are.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, fruitbat said:

At it, or by it!

Mustang is much easier to fly, take off and land, but the Spitfire is much more capable air to air as things currently are.

No, I don't think he 'at it and I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to by it. Hell I don't think he even owned a computer.:sword:

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Er.....don’t you two know that you can try nearly anything you want from DCS right now,  for FREE for one month? Offer started yesterday and there’s a fifty per cent off sale on too👍

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4290405#post4290405

Ah screw it, you know what, I'll download the Spite and try it out.

22 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4290405#post4290405

Ok, so, on the Advice of Arthur, thank you Arthur by the way :salute:, I decided to try downloading some of the modules last night as I still had a wee bit o data left. Surprisingly this morning all selected modules have been downloaded SUCCESSFULLY!:thumbsu:

And here they are:

BF109, Spit, Mustang, FW190, Normany and Asset Pack.

Took the 109 for a test spin this morning and it is VERY good. After getting my controls straightened out, well for the most part, I was able to land on my first attempt, though I did pop a tire apparently. Checking out the others now. I can tell already, the DCS Warbirds are good, heck I'm surprised DCS works so well with these old taildraggers. DAMN YOU DCS! I want to buy all of them nowl LOLZ. Well, maybe not the Dora. In honesty, I'll probably pick up the 109 and Spit, I might grab the Mustang later but I haven't tried it yet.

19 hours ago, fruitbat said:

join us, we are flying them on our server right now.....

I'd love to FB but I'm afraid the lowest possible ping I can attain is somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 to 800 ms. I'd join you guys on coms but I don't want to be that creepy guy standing in the corner (again) LOL. I might hop on comes here shortly just to pop in and say hello. I'm probably moving soon so maybe within the next 6 months or so I'll be back at it full bore. I mean, I'll get on the server if it won't auto kick me for high ping butt I don't want to drag the server down with me either and affect the rest of you.