Accidently did a quick format on my game drive

T_O_A_D

It's a 2 gig drive, so I bought another 2gig drive to recover it too.

I've tried Recuva prog and a couple more lost for the name atm, I'm not on that machine now either to look. 

Problem is when I run the progs it says I need 3.9 gig drive to recover it.

I'm at a loss how that works out to be twice the size of the original drive being required.

Fruitbat said it might be something like rewriting the boot file on the original to undo the quick format.

But he wasn't certain, anyo of you have an idea, IE Roger Wink wink nod nod. 

Oh I was quick formatting camera memory cards and wasn't paying attention as well as I should have been DOH!!!!!

• 2. Administrators

I assume you mean that you have a 2TB drive rather than a 2GB. For most bits of recovery software that I've seen, the target drive has to be considerably larger than the source drive as rebuilding the file structure takes a lot of space while the software is doing its thing. The software companies concerned take the easy way out and say you need double the capacity on the target drive.

This will also take a very long time with a drive of this size. Would it not be quicker just to download the games again?

On 1/9/2020 at 10:40 AM, Crash said:

Best to do that in your camera (as you now know) ;)

Thats what started this whole problem originally, accidently deleted all the pics with the camera, then was recovering them with the PC, then while there, quick formatted the wrong drive instead of the card. 🙄

17 minutes ago, Jabo said:

I assume you mean that you have a 2TB drive rather than a 2GB. For most bits of recovery software that I've seen, the target drive has to be considerably larger than the source drive as rebuilding the file structure takes a lot of space while the software is doing its thing. The software companies concerned take the easy way out and say you need double the capacity on the target drive.

This will also take a very long time with a drive of this size. Would it not be quicker just to download the games again?

Thanks for that,

Yes I meant 2T not Gig 🙄

I've never done a large enough drive to cause this phenomenon. Lots of small recovers 1/2gig or so. So I never realized the progs were doing that until now.

I'll just buy a 4T drive then.

Because down loading on a 50gig limit per month is not feasable.

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, T_O_A_D said:

Thanks for that,

Yes I meant 2T not Gig 🙄

I've never done a large enough drive to cause this phenomenon. Lots of small recovers 1/2gig or so. So I never realized the progs were doing that until now.

I'll just buy a 4T drive then.

Because down loading on a 50gig limit per month is not feasable.

What if someone sent you a USB stick with the installation(s) on it? Would that work?

Yes guys more than one Game, but games only, I broke down an ordered a 4T drive, so once it gets here I should be able to bounce back out of this.

Good thought though, that's how I got Gypsy up and going again, with 1946 except I just burned to DVD's  so he could dump it on his drive, when he had shit internet like this.

Then he got the fiber and I fell back to this kind of crap shortly after.

I totally forgot to check on ISP service for this new house, I never dreamed it didn't have broadband in this subdivision.

It's been here since 1965ish not even cable tv made it here.

but a 1/4 mile away in a newer subdivision built in the 80's has it all, and we're closer to the city limits than they are.

• 1. DDz Quorum
On 1/12/2020 at 12:44 PM, T_O_A_D said:

I totally forgot to check on ISP service for this new house, I never dreamed it didn't have broadband in this subdivision.

It's been here since 1965ish not even cable tv made it here.

but a 1/4 mile away in a newer subdivision built in the 80's has it all, and we're closer to the city limits than they are.

When we bought our house last year I asked Spectrum/Charter if they could provide service. They said they would send out a surveyor to confirm, came back and yep no problem.

Moved in and then was told no service, team lead for engineers came through, dropped a 400' cable and got us 1Gb internet.

Alternative was satellite, AT&T can only provide 74Kb lol. Dark ages!

• Like 1