Samsung NC10 Netbook

DD_Arthur

Recently, I helped my eldest boy and his family move into their new home.  Whilst they were sorting through various bits of surplus junk that was headed for landfill they came across this old Netbook.

They were going to chuck it but the Magpie in me claimed it as;

a) It's in as new condition including all the original accessories, receipts, various discs and even the snazzy black leather case.

b) It's a crying shame to just chuck stuff into a hole in the ground.

c) It runs on Windows XP.   My last Winsows XP laptop died a couple of years ago.  Not that much of a problem you might think but Philips now discontinued Toucam Pro webcam only works with XP.  They never got round to updating the software for later versions of Windows.

The Toucam Pro has a 'proper' CCD sensor and a threaded lens which can be removed and by using an adaptor the camera can then be attached to the eyepiece of a telescope!  The camera can be plugged into a handy laptop and controlled by it whilst the images it produces are stored and processed on the lap top. 

Anyway, before I go chuntering off into the realm of astrophotography;  all is hunky so far but I have a problem.

The operating sysyem has been erased.  I know not why but the hd is....empty.  It even comes with the original recovery disc but, being a Netbook it has no optical drive.  

So the question is 'how do I put the operating system back.' ?       Phew:P 

USB sticks?  I thought that might be the way.  I've got big 'uns lying around so no problem there.

It's got 1 gig of ram and 160 gig hdd so I think installing anything other than Win XP might be a bit.....problematic.

Don't really want to go down the Linux/Ubuntu route as I'm not......a hippyB) so I'd prefer to re-install XP if at all possible.